Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Greeaaat. So we’re going to take away the thing that works to give you something much more expensive and lame, but now you have to use it in lumps so you waste more and it’s more dangerous but at least we make more money off you right? :-x

Why not just attach ecigs to the tobacco settlement? Oh, right. Everyone hates BT so much they won’t use their products if they have a choice so they have to be forced to and they can’t make a decent one anyway because when they tried it took them 5 years to arrange the marketing campaign for an industry with a six month life cycle, and it sucked to begin with. It’s that combination of evil and incompetence that makes them such a front line choice. They totally deserve to be unspeakably rich. /s

Last edited:

enspaceman

Nov 15, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Actually, the tobacco settlement money is supposed to go towards tobacco illnesses, research, tobacco related medical healthcare, cessations, etc.. etc.. This would actually mean that Vaping is entitled to some of that tobacco settlement money, because vaping is an effective treatment.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
One flavor for IQOS is menthol. wonder how on earth it got the FDA approval when they are rallying to ban eliquid flavors. Double standard?
Anyway. I doubt anything will pave the way for IQOS. Few months ago saw it display and gave it a try. Horrible!
If it really works PM would have gave away the device for free/cheap and made loads on selling the HEATS refills. But they know it doesn't work so they are selling the device for close to $200. They know very few will continue buying refills.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
If the IQOS heat-not-burn product is subject to the Master Settlement Agreement payments then may be we know the motivation for the flavor bans. IQOS is already FDA approved, ready to go, and I presume coming very soon to a C Store near you..

What is even worse is the filter in those cartridges melt and release a chemical that breaks down in the liver into Formaldehyde and Cyanide! Yet those aren't even remotely being attacked.

iQOS may not be as harm-free as claimed, study finds
But of greater concern was that the polymer filter melted slightly during use and released formaldehyde cyanohydrin, a toxic substance which could be fatal to humans. The compound is metabolised in the liver and broken down into formaldehyde and cyanide.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Anyway. I doubt anything will pave the way for IQOS. Few months ago saw it display and gave it a try. Horrible!
If it really works PM would have gave away the device for free/cheap and made loads on selling the HEATS refills. But they know it doesn't work so they are selling the device for close to $200. They know very few will continue buying refills.
If it doesn't work, why has it captured 10% of the cigarette market in Japan?

Horrible? Compared to a tasty vape, yeah, it tastes like crap, pretty much just like smoking. There are a fair number of smokers can't/won't switch to vaping because it's effectively impossible to make a vape taste like smoke.

I'm not sure where you're getting that $200 number from. Is it possible that includes some crazy tax imposed by your government? The going rate for the device in most markets where it's currently being offered is half that or less.

FWIW, I have one that I bought on a whim in Europe last year. I don't use it much, but I do see it having potential for harm reduction among people who've not been able to transition to vaping, either due to missing the taste of smoke, or due to fact that nicotine alone isn't a full-function substitute for tobacco smoke.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I was in a vape shop not far from London recently, and these guys selling Hear-Not-Burn products came in. They launched into their sales pitch and the lady behind the counter was like ''This is a vape shop guys. We don't sell tobacco products''. These guys were fairly determined, like those nice young American chaps with bibles, who turn up at my door. They even looked like then, suits and issued haircuts, clean cut etc.

The lady just kept saying ''This is a vape shop guys, we don't sell Tobacco products'', until they eventually left. They were pretty full on. I took a shine to the lady and bought my first Pico from her. Until then I had never heard of Heat-Not-Burn products.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Actually, the tobacco settlement money is supposed to go towards tobacco illnesses, research, tobacco related medical healthcare, cessations, etc.. etc.. This would actually mean that Vaping is entitled to some of that tobacco settlement money, because vaping is an effective treatment.
My memory is what wound up actually happening though is it all went to “anti smoking” media buys that were actually used to spread pro BT antivaping messages.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
If it doesn't work, why has it captured 10% of the cigarette market in Japan?
Why shouldn't it, with a name like PM and it's marketing machine behind it. !0% buying it doesn't mean all will continue using it. Nicotine containing eliquid was illegal in Japan as soon as 2017. That helps also.

Horrible? Compared to a tasty vape, yeah, it tastes like crap, pretty much just like smoking.
tasted worse than a cigarette to me. No TH, wispy smoke and no nicotine hit. I can't describe it as close to smoking.
I'm not sure where you're getting that $200 number from. Is it possible that includes some crazy tax imposed by your government? The going rate for the device in most markets where it's currently being offered is half that or less.
I actually tried it in the duty free. As far as I remember they have two models. The big size one (higher mah) was close to $200

FWIW, I have one that I bought on a whim in Europe last year. I don't use it much, but I do see it having potential for harm reduction among people who've not been able to transition to vaping, either due to missing the taste of smoke, or due to fact that nicotine alone isn't a full-function substitute for tobacco smoke.
Totally agree. One more option for risk reduction. It is better than smoking anyway. First time I tried a heat not burn device was 6 years ago. bought a cheap one at fasttech for $15. Didn't like it and it was kept in storage since then. When I tried IQOS it was exactly the same experience and taste.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Who is the Biggest Winner Out of the Vaping Ban and JUUL Debacle?
https://www.ccn.com/biggest-winner-vaping-ban-juul-debacle/

Lavery noted that the controversy around JUUL and the FDA’s criticism towards the e-cigs company could lead iQOS to benefit, an electronic cigarette sold by Philip Morris that enables users to smoke traditional cigarettes.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
  • Useful

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    If the IQOS heat-not-burn product is subject to the Master Settlement Agreement payments then may be we know the motivation for the flavor bans. IQOS is already FDA approved, ready to go, and I presume coming very soon to a C Store near you..

Yep - I noted too via a thread I created that IQOS already has FDA approval to be sold as a tobacco product. Their PMTA approval also showed how expensive and time consuming the process actually is.

From this article:
    Here's Why IQOS Could Completely Own the U.S. E-Cig Market | The Motley Fool
    A complex, expensive process
    The problem for e-cig makers is that the application is not a simple two-page document. Philip Morris' application is said to have been over 1 million pages long and cost millions of dollars to produce. Small manufacturers simply won't have the financial resources to comply with the complex rules to keep their products from being pulled from the market.

Plus it took nearly 2 years for approval.

What concerns me, is how much of a health risk the IQOS system really is:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Why shouldn't it, with a name like PM and it's marketing machine behind it. !0% buying it doesn't mean all will continue using it. Nicotine containing eliquid was illegal in Japan as soon as 2017. That helps also.

tasted worse than a cigarette to me. No TH, wispy smoke and no nicotine hit. I can't describe it as close to smoking.
    I actually tried it in the duty free. As far as I remember they have two models. The big size one (higher mah) was close to $200

Totally agree. One more option for risk reduction. It is better than smoking anyway. First time I tried a heat not burn device was 6 years ago. bought a cheap one at fasttech for $15. Didn't like it and it was kept in storage since then. When I tried IQOS it was exactly the same experience and taste.
    I'm sure heat not burn will sell but I have no interest. I have what I want.
    Yep - I noted too via a thread I created that IQOS already has FDA approval to be sold as a tobacco product. Their PMTA approval also showed how expensive and time consuming the process actually is.

From this article:
    Here's Why IQOS Could Completely Own the U.S. E-Cig Market | The Motley Fool

Plus it took nearly 2 years for approval.

What concerns me, is how much of a health risk the IQOS system really is:
    A year or two back Dr had an opinion. He said IQOS is 90% less risky than cigs compared to 1% less risk for vaping. Something I learned recently, once you start the vaporization process you have to keep puffinng until it done or it's wasted, like a cigarette. Also, I expect to cost as much or more than smoking and the government won't remove it from the market no matter how manyy kids use it.

greenmachine17

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2015
    Street Level U.S.A.
    When the Gov't said to stop Branding Vape juice "Candy Bubblegum, Nilla Wafer" etc. ,that warning should have been heeded.
    The ban will hurt more than help.what about the former smokers?
    THEY dont remember when they were kids..
    Kids will find a way,banning flavors will not stop them. IT WILL turn the 40+ yr smoking BT adult addicts, such as myself, to think about reaching for those stupid Stix..vaping 0% finally.the flavor helps with the "eat" cravings..so smoke,or eat.. Either way,not a happy thought.
    Lost alot of weight too.Driving a Big Rig doesn't give alot of exercise opportunities :(

airidosas252

Jan 23, 2019
    Šiauliai
    IQOS is nothing more than bonified cigarette which, in retrospect, should do less damage to you. There's a ceramic heater inside IQOS device (ceramic? Remember when there was dramma with atomizers having the exact same technology? Yeah...) which heats up to 300 degrees Celsius and releases vapor, nicotine and other harmful particles for you to inhale.
    Ever seen how the tobacco inside the Heets just vanish when immerged in water? That's "safer alternative".
    Where this world is going...

• Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread