Flavors out.. Tobaccos in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I vape tobacco exclusively. Unfortunately good ones are few and far between.
It just dawned on me that with the new potential disaster looming over flavors, the vape industry's mixologists must be frantically scurrying around inventing new tobacco mixes.
Hopefully soon the market will be flooded with better ones :thumb:
Actually I think there might be a whole array of new liquids released masked as "tobacco". Liquids containing the usual flavors with a hint of tobacco that can't be tasted.
This could open up a whole new trend in the vaping industry.

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
I remember buying a liquid from Solace once called creamy tobacco. I had no idea what I was getting so just let the shop owner recommend me a tobacco flavor and he said this one sells quite well.

It tasted like toasted graham crackers and vanilla custard. Not sure how this could ever be classified as a tobacco flavor but I agree...I think if there is a massive legislation change companies will start getting creative with the names and start letting customers figure it out. That would be the only way to bypass a flavor ban but it would subsequently make things remarkably confusing for consumers.

Something like "sweet mint tobacco" might end up tasting like key lime pie or something. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Actually I think there might be a whole array of new liquids released masked as "tobacco".
I think the FDA would frown on that. The Dooming Regulations specifically prohibit any new products to be introduced to market after 2016-08-08. Now I realize the enforcement of this part of the Regs hasn't exactly been vigorous in the past, but it this case, I suspect it might be.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I found a nice baco ejuice to vape. I'll be stocking up on it just in case the new allowed baco taste like shzits..I like the Acapulco by gold leaf, I think it has vanilla in it and the price isnt bad.
You understand it isn't clear whether any bottled juice, regardless whether it's tobacco flavored or not, will remain on the market after May 11, 2020, right?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I was going to say any flavors ultimately have to get past the PMTA process so any sort of new flavor at best would only be around until May 2020 as there is not enough time to complete all the requisite studies before then

That’s the way I took it, than any juice, flavored or otherwise, has to be submitted by the cut off date. And the ones that are would only be sold until they are not accepted, unless they are approved.

This whole flavor ban is a separate issue. At any given moment, non tobacco flavors could be banned. Any vape related items could be banned in any state.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
WoW this thing is bigger than I realised. Seems they got all avenues covered to bring the industry to its knees in the USA.
Vaping will bifurcate. We'll have the BT/BV devices that apply for FDA marketing approval, and there will surely also be an "informal" market for open systems and juice. It's not clear how far underground the latter will be; it depends in how vigorous the enforcement is, and that may well vary from state to state.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
American vapers liberties are about to be crushed, like chrisps under Bison. A blackmarket will blossom and then the US government can launch another highly successful war on drugs. More law enforcement funding, more citizens in commercial prisons, it's a win win.

7cNtU7p.jpg

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
American vapers liberties are about to be crushed, like chrisps under Bison. A blackmarket will blossom and then the US government can launch another highly successful war on drugs. More law enforcement funding, more citizens in commercial prisons, it's a win win.

7cNtU7p.jpg
Employer: What were you locked up for?
Me: Quitting smoking.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I vape tobacco exclusively. Unfortunately good ones are few and far between.
It just dawned on me that with the new potential disaster looming over flavors, the vape industry's mixologists must be frantically scurrying around inventing new tobacco mixes.
Hopefully soon the market will be flooded with better ones :thumb:
Actually I think there might be a whole array of new liquids released masked as "tobacco". Liquids containing the usual flavors with a hint of tobacco that can't be tasted.
This could open up a whole new trend in the vaping industry.
It actually depends on how the restrictions are written. Because most tobacco flavors are not made from tobacco only and many are not derived from tobacco at all. They are typically flavorings combined to give the taste of a tobacco rather than actually deriving the flavors from tobacco and nothing else. So if it's written where anything that could conceivably be called a tobacco flavor is allowed then yes there should probably be some nice tobacco flavors out there however if it's written where no flavoring is allowed that didn't derive itself completely and only from tobacco then the flavors that you have available now will no longer be available for the most part. So it just really depends. There's only so much you can do by extracting flavor components from tobacco itself without it tasting like a wet cig

• Agree
Reactions: Fredman1

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I am holding my breathe as I only do tobacco NET myself. The ones I do listed below are tobacco only but I still fear they will get so over the top with vaping ban that the manufacturer will be saddled with so many restrictions that it just isn't worth supplying a high end product.
Natural tobacco extracts are more costly for small manufacturers than the others and they are already too expensive for many users.
ciglabels-4.jpg
We shall see....
Well I do hope that the products that she liked will remain available to you and that the manufacturers do get creative in coming up with more broad product. I also sincerely hope for myself that flavorless stays legal though I don't suspect it's going to matter for long anyway because devices are going to probably be regulated to only closed systems that cannot be tampered with.. that being said I don't mind the taste of flavorless eLiquid and I am stocking up on things so I should have a nice little setup for a few years anyway.

Reactions: Anise

Walter Ladd

Multiple ID Suspension
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Well put Walter.

Vaping has been largely tax free other than sales tax. Gotta get that sin tax revenue flowing in now that smokers no longer feed the meter (or a lot less do). But I also think they somehow believe they can stop the youth culture from getting their hands on vaper equipment somehow by scaring them additionally. They're already teaching them the planet is going to die in ten years unless they submit to population controls and stop using plastic straws. Why not scare them into thinking the kid sitting behind them in class stealthing a Juul is releasing chemical weapons grade poisons into the class room?

Never let a crisis go to waste………

Last edited:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Anybody that has vaped for years and knows anything understands that the political and legal attack on vaping has nothing to do flavors or health of the users. It has everything to do with money, lots of it. The governments, both federal and state want the taxes lost from smokers to transfer to vaping products. Collecting from big corporate is easy. Collecting from tens of thousands of independent small businesses is almost impossible to enforce in any economical way.
It is fortuitous for the government that criminal counterfeiters, get rich quick sociopaths and the incredibly ignorant greedy pigs started pumping poisons into the black market. Everybody knows that kids like cheap stuff so the market was flooded with deadly crap packaged to look legitimate but cheap. THC opened the floodgate.
The expected result is that the government will succeed in closing down the tens of thousands of small vape shops and virtually all manufacturers. Big tobacco will then have a monopoly and the gov will have their easily collected share of proceeds from a single source - just like the cigarette tax.
Frankly I am surprised they excepted tobacco and menthol.

How Juul's reputation went from high-tech cool to hazardous

"What we think is going to happen is they're going to pull all flavored e-cigarettes from shelves and there's going to be a process where they're going to have to reapply and get approval from the FDA."

BAM!

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Well put Walter.

Vaping has been largely tax free other than sales tax. Gotta get that sin tax revenue flowing in now that smokers no longer feed the meter (or a lot less do).
A problem with collecting "sin tax" is that one of the stated reasons for the excess taxation on cigarettes (at least up here) is to raise the price so as to discourage use --- which makes it hard to apply the same tax to a 'harm reduction' product (which should be encouraged, from a public health perspective). But I'm sure the Canadian government has a think-tank trying to work out appropriate rationalizations for heavily taxing a harm-reduction product ... or at least, figuring out the minimum number of words that should separate any mention of 'harm reduction' and 'tax' when a politician speaks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread