Flavour Art RY4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonewarrior

Jul 2, 2013
Palmyra, VA
I looked at the Google spreadsheet and most people seem to like a max of 5% of this flavor. Mixed 50 mls, 50 pg/50 vg. I followed Danny's advice on steeping and did the UC method. 7 days later, I take a vape and the flavor is barely there. Double checked my calculations and they are spot. Is this just a light flavor? Higher percentage for this one? Equipment is an innokin VV V3.0 with Iclear 16 dual coil clearos. Been through different wattage to see if that would help and nope. Newbie to DIY and help greatly appreciated.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I looked at the Google spreadsheet and most people seem to like a max of 5% of this flavor. Mixed 50 mls, 50 pg/50 vg. I followed Danny's advice on steeping and did the UC method. 7 days later, I take a vape and the flavor is barely there. Double checked my calculations and they are spot. Is this just a light flavor? Higher percentage for this one? Equipment is an Innokin VV V3.0 with Iclear 16 dual coil clearos. Been through different wattage to see if that would help and nope. Newbie to DIY and help greatly appreciated.

Your making 100mls of juice so we really can't help or check your math unless you give us your exact amounts of flavoring added (mls) or final NIC strength. Adding of 5% of anything don't stand for much if the amount is not measured correctly. I many times made mistakes and measured incorrectly. One time making an RY4 I wanted to put in 3 percent but measured out 30% in mls. I can't say if FA is a weak ry4 flavor having never used it, but maybe someone that has used it can chime in. You may also want to let us know how many hours in the UC you steeped it. Did you taste it before you steeped? If you don't taste then steep, you don't have a basis for comparison and have no idea if the flavor just faded or if you put to little or to much flavor in.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Danny,

Made 50 mls actually. 5% flavoring (2.5 mls), 47.5 mls base (50pg/50vg/ 24 nic). Final nic is 22.8%.

2.5ml does equal 5% so flavoring is correct.

Did it taste the same after you first mixed it then it did 7 days later. Or did the flavor fade?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
It seems that your doing things correctly. I've never used flavorart RY4 but would conclude from what you are telling me that the flavor may be weak. I also would assume that being that you are using a 24mg base you are a recent ex-smoker or a current smoker in the process of quiting. So it may be that your taste reciptors may need time to recover and that you are not tasting flavors the same way as those that have already quite cigarettes for a while (I was in that boat a year ago).

So at this point I would recommend bumping the RY4 to 8% (Add 3% more to your current mix) taste then steep 2 more hours then taste it again. RY4 is one of those flavors that need a very long steep time to fully develop. When I make an ry4 I steep for 4 - 5 hours almost non-stop keeping the water at a constant 150F. If there is no improvement in flavor then it could be the flavoring that's questionable. A helpful hint would be when adding more flavor, heat your mix before adding the flavor. This will thin the base and help the flavor better spread through the mix with a good shaking.

Another thing you can do is start over and use a 70PG/25VG base starting with 5% and add more if nessessary. PG is a better carrier for disolving flavor molecules and will deliver a stronger flavor faster.

If you still have the same results after going to 8% you can add more in 1% increments until it taste right. You may also want to try a different flavor such as Double RY4 from the flavor apprentice. Many recent ex-smokers as well as long term ex-smokers have had a lot of success with that flavor.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
High nicotine does effect taste but not as much as you described. Hardware also has a lot to do with taste but I did not go into it as I assumed by what your using you already have a good handle on hardware and how dirty/burnt coils and wicks can effect taste. But in any case if you have not tried the mix in a fresh clean clearo I would suggest you do that as well. Try my recommendations and keep plugging away at it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread