The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Florida Chat - Hi !

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by classwife, Jul 20, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

River Ranch started as a hunting club many ......

Double Post

• Like Like x 1
  2. NicotineRush

River Ranch started as a hunting club many years ago. (50 or so)
    It's since evolved into a weekend family atv/utv/swamp buggy park of approx. 60k acres.
    Hunting still goes on during the legal seasons.
    Many 'camps' out here but very few living here and mostly just a few of us old timers!

The state is trying to take our land as part of it's environmental push. I've nothing against protecting the environment, but these people wont be happy until the whole state is one big forest.

We have over 5k in membership. Mostly young families who bring their kids/pets/grandparents out on the weekends for some great family time/bonding. Be a shame to lose.

I have a bunch of pics/info on my website. PM for link if interested.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Bea-FL

Bea-FL Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    It would be a shame to lose that place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NicotineRush

My dishwasher is 2 of these: :)

hand.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    same here! Never saw the need for one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    Any ECFers live in Michael's path? They're saying it's a cat 3 now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Yeah, looks bad for the Panhandle coast...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Couldn't tell ya. They've buried most of the weather analysis tools I was familiar with. Seems they want to CONUS now with all the full color wide field images. Pretty informative I guess, if you're a satellite.

Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Looks like Mexico Beach to Apalachicola is where it will come ashore, with storm surge being worst to the east of that. Lovely stretch of coast there; relatively sparsely populated.

• Like Like x 2
  11. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Such devastation !!
    Entire blocks of homes gone - obliterated.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Uncle

Uncle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Definitely another - "Andrew" . . . .

AND - Although like many Floridians already know that any one of "Us" can be hit by a hurricane just like this one - I honestly do not know what i would do in such a situation . . . :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Andrew's aftermath looked like Hiroshoma for a 10mi diameter around ground zero. Wind estimates were just plain wrong. Even for sustained. Not much of any roof or structure survived. Not a pane of glass in any multi-level building. At 15mi it drove three tornadoes around our development. Nary a leaf survived on any tree or bush left standing and 2x4's from fences stuck like needles in the pin-cushion that was my building. Vehicles that survived like my truck had hundreds of strikes as if machine gun fire had hit them (totaled mine per Allstate). Such is typical of any 120mph+ storm but Cat4 and above it is uniform (time x wind force). To me comparisons as I see them are sort of like allegories to the holocaust. Such things don't happen every day, century or perhaps never twice. Or hope to God they never do.

It was one of the hottest driest summers I'd seen in Dade County in my life. And truly gorgeous weather, particularly in advance of it's arrival. As typical of a classical hurricane, it drew in all the moisture from the atmosphere days in advance compacting into one of the tightest storms I've ever seen. Still it took almost 5 hours to cross after the first band hit. Modern storms that seem to so unnaturally smear moisture and cover presaging their path for days before before landfall…well, I really wouldn't know what to call them. But I know their name ain't Andrew.

Good luck to all suffering through this. :|

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    IMG_2499.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Yeah, it was bad Bea. Wouldn't wish it on my worst. My wife, mother, newborn child and I spent it standing in a 5' sq. downstairs half-bath beneath a stairs with the baby tucked in a cradle under the sink. Most of that time spent listening to 60lb+ Mediterranean tiles scrape off and shatter from the roof only to crash down on everything around us like missiles. An interminable bombardment with only brief relief between the bands.

I need to stop thinkin about this at this time of night. G'nite and

16. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    I can only imagine the fear you all felt. Thank God you and your family weren't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MacTechVpr

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    You're absolutely right. Was one of those times I deeply grieved for those around me. Especially my new daughter. Thankfully, none of us were. In fact the loss of life (officially documented) was extremely low if you might recall. Had it been a wet storm of that intensity, I'd hate to ponder our chances. Especially off the SW Everglades coast. We crested but canals did not substantially breach. Then the six month exodus of S Dade residents bumper-to-bumper on the Turnpike that in great measure transformed the county from the traditional and substantially agricultural (W and S) to post-Andrew residential. If it hit today in the same way I'd venture things might have been far worse.

In the days and weeks following I witnessed some of the finest expressions of brotherly love and caring, of collective and individual initiative, I'd ever experienced. That was an amazing revelation. What we were capable of as a community.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bea-FL

Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    36 degrees tonight and tomorrow night :shock:

Not happy :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Flowersoul

Flowersoul Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    Almost time to cover or bring those plants in! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rossum

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Count your blessings. I'm sitting 600 miles north, up at 3000' ft, watching the freezing rain come down.

My son got a deer last night though (his first one ever), so there's that. :)

• Like Like x 4