• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Florida Chat - Hi !

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
River Ranch started as a hunting club many years ago. (50 or so)
It's since evolved into a weekend family atv/utv/swamp buggy park of approx. 60k acres.
Hunting still goes on during the legal seasons.
Many 'camps' out here but very few living here and mostly just a few of us old timers!

The state is trying to take our land as part of it's environmental push. I've nothing against protecting the environment, but these people wont be happy until the whole state is one big forest.

We have over 5k in membership. Mostly young families who bring their kids/pets/grandparents out on the weekends for some great family time/bonding. Be a shame to lose.

I have a bunch of pics/info on my website. PM for link if interested.

Last edited:

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
My dishwasher is 2 of these: :)

hand.jpeg

Reactions: Bea-FL

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Definitely another - "Andrew" . . . .

AND - Although like many Floridians already know that any one of "Us" can be hit by a hurricane just like this one - I honestly do not know what i would do in such a situation . . . :(

Andrew's aftermath looked like Hiroshoma for a 10mi diameter around ground zero. Wind estimates were just plain wrong. Even for sustained. Not much of any roof or structure survived. Not a pane of glass in any multi-level building. At 15mi it drove three tornadoes around our development. Nary a leaf survived on any tree or bush left standing and 2x4's from fences stuck like needles in the pin-cushion that was my building. Vehicles that survived like my truck had hundreds of strikes as if machine gun fire had hit them (totaled mine per Allstate). Such is typical of any 120mph+ storm but Cat4 and above it is uniform (time x wind force). To me comparisons as I see them are sort of like allegories to the holocaust. Such things don't happen every day, century or perhaps never twice. Or hope to God they never do.

It was one of the hottest driest summers I'd seen in Dade County in my life. And truly gorgeous weather, particularly in advance of it's arrival. As typical of a classical hurricane, it drew in all the moisture from the atmosphere days in advance compacting into one of the tightest storms I've ever seen. Still it took almost 5 hours to cross after the first band hit. Modern storms that seem to so unnaturally smear moisture and cover presaging their path for days before before landfall…well, I really wouldn't know what to call them. But I know their name ain't Andrew.

Good luck to all suffering through this. :|

Reactions: Bea-FL

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Yeah, it was bad Bea. Wouldn't wish it on my worst. My wife, mother, newborn child and I spent it standing in a 5' sq. downstairs half-bath beneath a stairs with the baby tucked in a cradle under the sink. Most of that time spent listening to 60lb+ Mediterranean tiles scrape off and shatter from the roof only to crash down on everything around us like missiles. An interminable bombardment with only brief relief between the bands.

I need to stop thinkin about this at this time of night. G'nite and

Good luck. :)

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Yeah, it was bad Bea. Wouldn't wish it on my worst. My wife, mother, newborn child and I spent it standing in a 5' sq. downstairs half-bath beneath a stairs with the baby tucked in a cradle under the sink. Most of that time spent listening to 60lb+ Mediterranean tiles scrape off and shatter from the roof only to crash down on everything around us like missiles. An interminable bombardment with only brief relief between the bands.

I need to stop thinkin about this at this time of night. G'nite and

I can only imagine the fear you all felt. Thank God you and your family weren't hurt.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I can only imagine the fear you all felt. Thank God you and your family weren't hurt.

You're absolutely right. Was one of those times I deeply grieved for those around me. Especially my new daughter. Thankfully, none of us were. In fact the loss of life (officially documented) was extremely low if you might recall. Had it been a wet storm of that intensity, I'd hate to ponder our chances. Especially off the SW Everglades coast. We crested but canals did not substantially breach. Then the six month exodus of S Dade residents bumper-to-bumper on the Turnpike that in great measure transformed the county from the traditional and substantially agricultural (W and S) to post-Andrew residential. If it hit today in the same way I'd venture things might have been far worse.

In the days and weeks following I witnessed some of the finest expressions of brotherly love and caring, of collective and individual initiative, I'd ever experienced. That was an amazing revelation. What we were capable of as a community.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
36 degrees tonight and tomorrow night :shock:

Not happy :mad:
Count your blessings. I'm sitting 600 miles north, up at 3000' ft, watching the freezing rain come down.

My son got a deer last night though (his first one ever), so there's that. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread