Status
Not open for further replies.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Took me a hot minute to sort everything out for this thread, but here goes!
My intent is not to be the definitive build instructions for these enclosures. the following is only my own personal build and yours is likely done as well- if not better- than mine. My only intent is to share the knowledge in the hopes it could assist someone else.
The enclosure for this build (black mech little orca) was purchased from Floris Delfino @ Floris Box
Connector is a Varitube 510, slightly modified
Contact strip is .010 beryllium copper sheet

The box came unfinished as expected and had some surface marks from the machining, so my first task was to shine it up a bit. Lots of time, lots of sanding and a few hours later it was looking much better.
cCHetNf.jpg

dqr6S2J.jpg

h83S8ul.jpg

I won't go into many measurement details for the contacts since it will depend on how you personally prefer the setup. For an idea, I think 5-6 inches would suffice if you didn't have any goof-ups during the process
*ahem*
9rvcB0r.jpg

fitting the top contact:
I wanted to keep the edges as rounded as possible where the battery would fit to help avoid any wrapper tears on the batteries.
JY4zLyT.jpg

basic contact shape formed after measuring.
SOc7HHl.jpg

Once the contacts were formed, I used the "0" from my stamping set for the contact points
vvrXR69.jpg

Without getting into too much boring detail, I chose to shape the contact so it would have a flat face for the contact points and gave it a nice polish (thanks Pete!).
wa9yoYB.jpg

My finished contact strip. Note how it bends backward slightly, the purpose of which is to keep even tension against the button to keep from rattling, also to keep even pressure on the button to keep it straight in the hole and avoid binding when it is depressed. This application also works for my setup because of the adhesive tape I used to secure the strip to the enclosure, so your won tweaking may be necessary.
This is where your own personal taste will come into play more than just about anything else on the build. The contact strip will determine the button feel and throw, so it may take a bit of positioning and fitting before you get a button feel that is good for you. Binder clips help to hold the contact in pace while you experiment with placement.
TBCMj6L.jpg

The tape I chose to use was Gorilla mounting tape, mostly because I have experience with how it holds and I was confident it would do the job. secondly, I wanted something to take up the small amount of extra space left in the enclosure since I was using thinner contacts. As luck would have it, the tape serves several purposes both intended and not. Since it is soft, it allows the contact strip on the bottom of the enclosure to "give" slightly when a battery is inserted, also doubling to hold the battery in place. It also allowed the battery and bottle to fit more snugly in the enclosure, so it is a perfect fit without having to squeeze anything in and nothing is loose once the door is in place.
ZDDuql4.jpg

Give the contact strip a good sanding where the tape will apply for better adhesion.
apply sticky side and leave the backing in place. trim off excess and test fit.
ujK50fw.jpg

I moved on to the 510 before placing the contact strip in permanently, and I had taken previous measurements while test-fitting so the 510 could be finished separately, off the enclosure.
The VT 510 is a long beast for this application, but by shaving down the manual adjustment insulator I was able to get everything to fit together nicely. The only other modification was to remove about 11-12mm from the feed tube.
Originally I had set up the contacts to work using only the supplied brass nuts from the VT 510, but I wasn't satisfied with the contact point. This picture shows some of the fitting and planning, hence the red o-ring for spacing.
7ZKYFIn.jpg

I ditched this plan anyways in favor of a more solid contact, so "the tab" was born.
the hole is just big enough for the threads on the feed tube to catch, so it threads onto the feed tube with the nut for a solid fit once it's tightened. polished it as well, cleaned up the contact points between the brass nut and tab, assembled the 510 and done.
0oEF283.jpg

V9mmWcp.jpg

H8xBKm8.jpg

510 installed into the enclosure, contact strip installed, note the large, flat contact area in comparison to the original idea of utilizing the VT brass nuts for contact points. Polishing has eliminated arcing that I can visibly detect and the button lands on "fire" nice and solid.

kxaAnO3.jpg

uXOAfl9.jpg

The throw is long, but this is my pocket device and I wanted to be sure that I had plenty of "wiggle room" should the button be depressed. The thin contact strip gives the button a nice light touch though, so its far from a workout when you want a puff.
All assembled, ready to go
LcIMqID.jpg

Overall, I love every little thing about these enclosures. It literally is the smallest package I've ever seen for a squonker and it is a beast to boot.
I hope this wasn't too choppy and I have lots more pics and things to discuss if anyone cares to know, Otherwise thanks for reading!
559qeBn.jpg

raGJjqG.jpg

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Looks good.Is this box the one for a mosfet?I looked at them a while back,and all i seen in the standard little Orca was the white,then they had black as a mosfet box,so just curiuos about the size difference between the 2,because i like the white one,but if this one is bigger,then i don't think everything would fit in the smaller sized one.

Reactions: minimalsaint

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Thank you,
It's not the black mosfet, so it's the same as the white boxes. I don't know about the difference in size, that may be a question for floris.
I know he had posted that the weather in his village was quite bad recently and I see the site is still down, most likely due to power outages.
I'm pretty sure this is the smallest enclosure, so the mosfet may be bigger, I'm just not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: b.m.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Thank you,
It's not the black mosfet, so it's the same as the white boxes. I don't know about the difference in size, that may be a question for floris.
I know he had posted that the weather in his village was quite bad recently and I see the site is still down, most likely due to power outages.
I'm pretty sure this is the smallest enclosure, so the mosfet may be bigger, I'm just not 100% sure.
Maybe he was out of stock in the black ones when i looked then,i thought maybe the white was the only ones made in the smaller size.I want to do one in white with the black carbon fiber inlay,and also want to do a black with some sort of inlay.Hopefully the site gets back up and running here soon.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Where did you get the bottle and cap? I ordered one from FDV but I'm afraid it will never arrive.

The bottle came from Reos mods, cap and feed tube are included. I believe it's called the super soft bottle?
If you ordered the FDV essential squonk kit, the bottles are far too large for this enclosure.
The OG 6ml Reo bottle works also, with a little modification to the dropper. This was one of the first bottle fittings, it worked well but the extra capacity and squishy softness drew me to the super soft bottle.
RORwUWn.jpg

Smeef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Williamsport, PA
Looking good. Mine is in transit at the moment. Hoping it shows up soon. I'm going to do basically the same setup as you did, but with a bit thicker copper sheeting. That punch idea is brilliant. I've been mulling over the best way to get a nice contact point and now I think I've got it.

Reactions: minimalsaint

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
that was partially the reason I ditched the spring-loaded connector for the adjustable. That would allow you to put the disc on top of the nut and give yourself even more room at the bottom of the feed pin.
But I agree, 2 nuts on that shortened feed pin just doesn't leave enough room on the bottom.
Looking good, keep it up!

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Thanks minimalsaint for turning me onto these things. Contemplating my next one. Just wish the non CF doors came with magnets. As perfectly as the doors fit I see lack of a magnet becoming an issue over the long haul as it loosens up....

FDA BOC

Yeah it will be the test of the friction-fit doors, but I also found a little trick that will help if the door ever gets "loose"...
I've been playing around with some carbon and acrylic resin I have around and I made a new door for one of the orcas for a little test.
In natural fashion, I went a little ham on the edge sanding and I had a small spot where there was no "friction" holding it in.
I removed the door and carefully applied a thin bead of acrylic resin along the edge that I'd sanded too far.
Fully cured, I was able to sand it back carefully to a nice tight fit again.

Not perfectly ideal, but I have no issue with tweaking the door if need be. Personally I prefer the frosted doors now that I see the difference in person. The finish on the carbon doors I got had something to be desired, but I'm in the process of working that out right now.

Reactions: EddieAdams

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Threaded silver contact made a big difference. Much more space for the feed tube to grab on to.... View attachment 631109

FDA BOC

Yassssss nicely done!

My super glossy door is cured up, makes for a nice feel in the hand and looks so much better.
APVt9I5.jpg

sjznscF.jpg

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
Yeah, this blue one had a couple of blemishes that were too deep to buff out. I ended up stripping it almost all the way back to the weave and wasn't sure what to do, but this worked nicely.
The green carbon door from one of the other boxes was free of blemishes, but I'll be damned if I can get the surface to buff out to a good gloss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread