Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I display images on the forum occaisionally and do that by using the "upload a file" button available in the forum when creating a post. Why is that feature rarely mentioned here? For the uninitiated it's possible to upload a photo located in google photos or gooogle drive. Take a photo with your phone, upload too google photos then upload from there to the forum from any device you might be using to create a new post. As long as the forum provides that service why bother with anything else?
I upload directly to ECF from my gallery on my devices. Not thru anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I remember years ago being a member of a few forums where we could link photos directly from our computer. Sure wish we could still do that.

Ummm, that was never possible. You, yourself could see it, but the image would be broken for everyone else due to not having access to your local system.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I just tried this ... it seemed to work. My public folder was populated with the application files. But oddly when the install finished and redirected to the app I got a 404 not found error.

Even more odd at the moment is when I type in the url ..../public/index.php I still get the 404 error but the directory and file are there ... at least I can see them w/ my FTP client.

Giving up for now. Sleep time.

Mike, try their user forums, I was able to get a lot of help there. The programmer is a bit surly, but does attempt to help.

Chevereto Community

Reactions: MikeE3

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Even more odd at the moment is when I type in the url ..../public/index.php I still get the 404 error but the directory and file are there ... at least I can see them w/ my FTP client.

Leave /public out of the URL. Public_html is the root directory for your web server.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Leave /public out of the URL. Public_html is the root directory for your web server.

Nope that wasn't the problem as /public is not my root directory. I created that directory in my 'root' for the install. But I did get farther with 'it' when installing the app to my root folder. See my reply to MikeP.

Mike, try their user forums, I was able to get a lot of help there. The programmer is a bit surly, but does attempt to help.

Chevereto Community

Yipes! This guy is beyond surly ... don't think I want to deal w/ him at all anymore after this. I searched the forum and didn't really find any clues/hints to my problem. But I did see him make two replies to people having install issues w/ the free version. His answers - if you want support buy the license to one and to the other, ask about the free version at GitHub.

Well I tried anyway, I said since I don't qualify for the free install as my hosting doesn't use cpanel. I thought I'd try to install the free version to make sure I can install it on my host.

I said the Web install doesn't work, just spins and spins on 'downloading'. The manual install from zip file doesn't complete due to what looks like an error in redirection. The install process errors going to /mydomain.com/install, get 404 page not found. And the only install directory loaded during the install is /apps/install.

So I asked if there's a fix or workaround or where I can asked about this on Github.

This morning I checked for an answer. Not only no answer, my post was deleted from the forum.

Chevereto Community - Error
The requested thread could not be found.

This guy might have a cool app ... but he's too arrogant for me to want to be associated with.

Reactions: mikepetro

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Nope that wasn't the problem as /public is not my root directory. I created that directory in my 'root' for the install.
I think that could be where you are getting a problem, I "Think" it has to be installed to the root, not in a sub folder. You could just create a sub domain like mypictures.mydomainname.com, then install it in the root of the sub domain. Hope that helps. :)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I think that could be where you are getting a problem, I "Think" it has to be installed to the root, not in a sub folder. You could just create a sub domain like mypictures.mydomainname.com, then install it in the root of the sub domain. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks Burnie ... but I did re-install it in the root and have the redirection problem. The install trys going to mydomain.com/install and it should be going to mydomain.com/app/install.

I can't use a sub-domain. Someplace on the Chevereto site I read that on Windows hosting you can't install it in a sub-domain for some reason.

On the Chev forum I saw some other folks having trouble w/ it hosted on Godaddy. The 'dude' claims Godaddy has non-standard, bad setups, and pretty much ignores people hosted on Godaddy. I'm not techie enough to agree or disagree about Godaddy but they've served me well for many years. I have one hosting plan and can host unlimited domains on it, but I'm only using it for 5.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Ugh. Skiing will be a favorite pastime in Hades before I would use GoDaddy.

Edumacate me please. I'm not real tech savvy about hosting and web development, what's wrong with Godaddy?

Sorry I can't think of anything else. My only problem was my PHP version, once upgraded it installed without a hitch, but I am not on a windows server, and never would be, but that's just me. :)

I'd have switched to LINUX for my own sites, but I'm running 1 website for a club I belong to and it depends heavily on some old .asp (ugh) code. That's why it's a Windows host.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I installed to root/gallery and it worked. I hate having too many things in the root.

Reactions: Burnie

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Edumacate me please. I'm not real tech savvy about hosting and web development, what's wrong with Godaddy?

The mere fact that they supported SOPA when it was first introduced is enough to flee from them and never use them for anything.

Their ToS stinks (read that fine print carefully), and pretty much anyone I know in the biz would rather cut off various appendages than use GoDaddy for anything. If you do some searching, you'll find tons of horror stories from those that used GoDaddy at one time or another.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Gotta love all these "unlimited storage" plans, but when you read the ToS you see "Inode" limits. This pretty much makes "unlimited storage" a lie.

My question is what is the average "inodes" of a medium website?

Linux loves to create directories from hell, 7 layers or more deep, and each file and each directory consume an inode.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Ah yes, the inode issue.

GoDaddy's draconian use of inodes to limit what you can store is moronic. For example:

Your entire hosting account cannot hold more than 500,000 files and folders (Windows) or 250,000 inodes (Linux). File name lengths between 1 and 16 characters count as 1 inode, 17 and 32 characters count as 2, 33 and 48 characters count as 3, and so on.

How many files can a shared hosting directory hold? | GoDaddy Help US

Even with an "unlimited" account, they still want to hold you to 1,024 inodes unless you pay the big bucks to bypass that.

Considering file names also are included in this, that alone would be something I'd flee from in a heartbeat.

There are other limitations that are in the fine print and buried in various links throughout their ToS. And if you break even one of the rules, they've been known to lock your account and hold your site incognito until you pay for an upgrade.

Nope. No way in hell I'd use them.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
The mere fact that they supported SOPA when it was first introduced is enough to flee from them and never use them for anything.

Their ToS stinks (read that fine print carefully), and pretty much anyone I know in the biz would rather cut off various appendages than use GoDaddy for anything. If you do some searching, you'll find tons of horror stories from those that used GoDaddy at one time or another.

Gotta love all these "unlimited storage" plans, but when you read the ToS you see "Inode" limits. This pretty much makes "unlimited storage" a lie.

My question is what is the average "inodes" of a medium website?

Linux loves to create directories from hell, 7 layers or more deep, and each file and each directory consume an inode.

Welp ... you guy's are way above my level. I had to google SOPA to learn what it was and for the 1st time I looked at the Godaddy TOS for hosting. From this layman's perspective it has served me Ok for many years though.

re: the TOS ... 250,000 iNodes for Linux and 500,000 folders and/or files for Windows. I'm on Windows and for my needs can surely live within that limit, even w/ multiple domains hosted. However, but ... if I had been successful installing Cerverto I would have been in violation. You can't run an imaging app that allows anonymous users to upload pics and/or use it for 3rd party picture hosting. oops!

I am slowly re-doing the one site that relies on .asp code. If'n I ever get that done ... you two may have spurred me to look around for another host. Thanks for the edumacation.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Ah yes, the inode issue.

GoDaddy's draconian use of inodes to limit what you can store is moronic. For example:

How many files can a shared hosting directory hold? | GoDaddy Help US

Even with an "unlimited" account, they still want to hold you to 1,024 inodes unless you pay the big bucks to bypass that.

Considering file names also are included in this, that alone would be something I'd flee from in a heartbeat.

There are other limitations that are in the fine print and buried in various links throughout their ToS. And if you break even one of the rules, they've been known to lock your account and hold your site incognito until you pay for an upgrade.

Nope. No way in hell I'd use them.

Your link was for how many files per directory. The following is from their TOS:

5. PROVISIONS SPECIFIC TO WEB AND WORDPRESS HOSTING

Storage and Plan Limits. All Web Hosting and WordPress Hosting plans, including the unlimited plans, are subject to a limit of no more than 250,000 inodes per account for Linux® hosting accounts or 500,000 files and folders per account for Windows® hosting accounts. The plans are also limited to no more than 1,000 tables per database and no more than one gigabyte of storage per database. Any account or database that exceeds these limits may be issued a network violation warning and will be required to reduce the number of inodes, files and folders, tables or gigabytes (as the case may be), or may be temporarily or permanently suspended, in our sole discretion. All Linux hosting plans are subject to the following limitations: no more than a) 25% of one CPU core; b) 512MB of RAM; c) 100 website connections; d) 100 active processes; e) 1 MB/s disk IO. In the event these limitations are exceeded, your site may slow down or not be served until more resources are added. More resources may be added for additional fees.

Legal Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread