GeekVape Zeus RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

oudakontrol

Aug 25, 2014
Seattle, WA
Seemingly the issue is that you're screwing your deck too far. You don't have spare o rings for your kit? You might have lost the oring at the base of the cage, when it screws onto the base. It's a thin one, at the base of the cage screw.

Never screwed the deck further than a light twist until it stopped. Never wrenched on it. I have been assembling it the same way for months and something has changed.

Unfortunately, I lost one of the original tank seals quite a while back during a cleaning, swapped them out with the spares and seem to have misplaced the rest.

20180904_074524.jpg Cage base o-ring present.

Reactions: KC0YNU

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I had one time where my coil wasn't centered right and evidently was touching when I screwed the base on. I don't remember if you said but have you tried putting another coil in?
That is more than likely to cause a short than a seal would, I would think.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Me too. Maybe the cage is too far in and when the base is screwed the air posts touch the top of the chamber? Being the oring is there, it should stop before touching. I don't think it's an off centered coil, I make them crooked on purpose so that my cotton is more straight. No, this has to do with the cage/air posts.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Never screwed the deck further than a light twist until it stopped. Never wrenched on it. I have been assembling it the same way for months and something has changed.

Unfortunately, I lost one of the original tank seals quite a while back during a cleaning, swapped them out with the spares and seem to have misplaced the rest.

View attachment 764691 Cage base o-ring present.
I hate to say it but it might be worth getting a replacement. Its such a great vape, you'll certainly get your money's worth.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
The barrel of Zeus can turn around but it is not moving up or down. Can you check to confirm that the barrel is not moving up or down? The silicone gasket is very thin but you said you must unscrew the deck many turns so I don't think the problem cause by the silicone gasket. Did you try to lower your coil?

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Anybody know the Zeus well enough to give me some pointers on troubleshooting?

After months of use, all of a sudden, I'm unable to screw my build deck all the way down without a short. At least that's what I'm assuming it is. My mods will stop firing and say temp protect. If I unscrew the deck a few turns it'll fire and thankfully doesn't leak. The build deck fires just fine when not in the tank. I imagine this is likely a seal issue but I dont have any other sets of seals for my Zeus and dont know where to get them. Any suggestions appreciated.

I assume you are talking about single coil Zeus.

My guess is, you have placed your coil too high and if you screw the deck tightly to the tank, the coil touches the top part of the chamber thus causing a short.
And that also explains why by 'unscrew the deck a few turns' (your words) you have made the top part of the chamber far enough to avoid being touched by the coil and therefore no short...

oudakontrol

Aug 25, 2014
Seattle, WA
The barrel of Zeus can turn around but it is not moving up or down. Can you check to confirm that the barrel is not moving up or down? The silicone gasket is very thin but you said you must unscrew the deck many turns so I don't think the problem cause by the silicone gasket. Did you try to lower your coil?

I confirmed, it doesn't move up and down. My thought with a worn out gasket is the cage is somehow coming in contact with something it shouldn't. What is weird is if I screw it all the way in I get a temp protect immediately, no coil fire. As I start to gradually unscrew, I actually get a coil fire. The more I unscrew, the longer the coil will fire until I reach the point where I don't get a temp protect and it doesn't leak.

I assume you are talking about single coil Zeus.

My guess is, you have placed your coil too high and if you screw the deck tightly to the tank, the coil touches the top part of the chamber thus causing a short.
And that also explains why by 'unscrew the deck a few turns' (your words) you have made the top part of the chamber far enough to avoid being touched by the coil and therefore no short...

Yup, single coil. I see what you're thinkin there but I'd have to be building Empire Space Coils that reached up outside of the air posts to touch the top of the chamber. I'll throw a pic up later but I'm highly confident that my coil isn't too high. Again, I've been building this for quite some time and the last two builds I've used aren't really any different than what I've used in the past. I build my coils close to the air vents.

20180905_212953.jpg This build is even higher than normal for me. Whatcha think?

Last edited:

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Yup, single coil. I see what you're thinkin there but I'd have to be building Empire Space Coils that reached up outside of the air posts to touch the top of the chamber. I'll throw a pic up later but I'm highly confident that my coil isn't too high. Again, I've been building this for quite some time and the last two builds I've used aren't really any different than what I've used in the past. I build my coils close to the air vents.

View attachment 765047 This build is even higher than normal for me. Whatcha think?

Base on your pic, that coil placement is definitely too high.

I have 5 Zeus (all single coil) in my daily rotation, among them, there is one which a 4mm Flat clapton coil won't fit without a short... no matter how low I try to place it. For that particular Zeus tank, I resolve to using a 3.5mm coil or 4mm plain wire (non-clapton) coil.

Remember, sometime, even 0.5mm (lower) matters.

oudakontrol

Aug 25, 2014
Seattle, WA
@hiclass Well... I tried to go back and dislike my own post but doesn't appear that's available :lol:

As confident as I was that the coil wasn't too high, I took your advice anyway and chopped it down. Sure as :censored:, that worked. I'm still pretty confident I've had coils this high so maybe these new coils I have just have a larger OD than I'm used to? Or maybe my eye sight is just getting terrible and I have no idea what I'm doing o_O Wish I woulda taken a picture of the first coil that didn't work... threw it out because I thought it was bad.

Here is the cut that works:
20180907_082848.jpg

I honestly thought the cutout in the top of chamber was more forgiving. Apparently, you can't build much past the indent on the top of the air posts. I've been using the bottom of the coil to the deck as my guide so I guess I'll have to start watching the top with exotics. I do notice the flavor is slightly muted from before though.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
Yeah, I also trim my coil leg using the advise from DJLsb's video and I have no problem. Your problem is really hard to understand. I think if you want to know more about this problem, you can take out your wick (leave your coil without wick) and change into the Power profile of your mod, assemble the deck into the barrel and fire it in a short pulse. Then screw the deck out and give a look inside the barrel to see if there is any burn mark inside it. If you really want to see what happens.
But I think you should replace the barrel or just buy a new one. :)

Reactions: oudakontrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread