Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hey @Fidola13 , some how I missed this post of yours. In it you pretty much nailed my experience with the X. I could have just quoted your post and said something like "yep, nailed it" instead of getting all wordy and full of bad grammar. :)

I also prefer the single coil Zeus at this stage. But Im happy to keep plugging away with the X for a bit longer, it isnt terrible.

Lol!! If you discover something unique let me know!

Reactions: Jebbn

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I am finding that the X while easy to wick is taking more experimenting to find the flavor sweet spot.

This includes coil material coil size and coil height.

Compare to the first Zues where coil size was limited by the build deck design and coil height was less impactful.

I believe that once I find that build the Zues X will be outstanding. In the meantime it’s rather fun experimenting.

Might be fun to show of current builds and share pros and cons if you are an owner of the Zues X.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Having used the X in dual mode for a couple of weeks I decided to give a single coil build a road test.

DJLs suggested on his review that the single coil had very good flavor like the dual coil build so I decided to check it out.

I went with my own single ss316l 26 gauge 4.0mm ID coil. DJLs suggested using either a 4.0 or even 4.5 for the id to have enough wick to fill the juice wells. I used rayon and slightly raked the tails.

I’ve vaped almost 4 full tanks of different types of juice ranging from a custard to watermelon to creamy milk.

The flavor seems spot on to me and I’m getting a nice dense vape. I’m actually getting a bit more flavor than with the dual setup with similar coils but 3.0 mm id.

If you haven’t tested the X with a single coil build out then you might be surprised at how good it is.

Here are a few of my build pics.
D592FF51-DD9D-4A59-A636-E34DF2932E66.jpeg
D00D48D5-E108-4A26-B06C-3625E85CC12C.jpeg
FC443A41-D07A-445B-B1DD-8843ACAE0E2E.jpeg

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Having used the X in dual mode for a couple of weeks I decided to give a single coil build a road test.

I found exactly the same thing. I'm really liking this RTA in single coil mode. The build I'm using is 24Ga SS316L, 4MM inside diameter, for a .5Ohm build. I'm vaping it between 35~45W and TC at 430. Air is at about 1/3rd open. Just a great vape and pretty thrifty on battery power and juice.

Reactions: Fidola13

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I found exactly the same thing. I'm really liking this RTA in single coil mode. The build I'm using is 24Ga SS316L, 4MM inside diameter, for a .5Ohm build. I'm vaping it between 35~45W and TC at 430. Air is at about 1/3rd open. Just a great vape and pretty thrifty on battery power and juice.

Seems we have similar vaping preferences. I’m also at about .45 ohms and 35 to 40 watts and TC about the same depending on the mod I’m using.

It definitely doesn’t suck the juice and batteries up as much as dual coils with no loss AT ALL of flavor or clouds.

Glad you’re enjoying it in this mode as well as I am!!

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I'll try tomorrow. Zeus X with dual coil simply doesn't made me smile, yet. Maybe with single coil it does.

It didn’t jump out at me either with dual coils. The single Zeus still was better imo. But this has been a game changer. I’m look forward to trying different coils on it too. I may try a flat or parallel wire. I have some Clapton too but I don’t think there’s any improvement in flavor for the loss of juice and battery life.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
It didn’t jump out at me either with dual coils. The single Zeus still was better imo. But this has been a game changer. I’m look forward to trying different coils on it too. I may try a flat or parallel wire. I have some Clapton too but I don’t think there’s any improvement in flavor for the loss of juice and battery life.

I've got a spool of 26Ga fused clapton wire coming in on Monday and I'll give it a try just for the lolz. Might not be good, but who knows... it just might be even better. Worth a build.

This build I'm running now with just round wire is so smooth. No crackles, pops, or spit, just smooth and the tank itself is very quiet with very good vapor production. Really enjoying it.

Berkiz

Apr 16, 2018
Ukraine
Hello there.
This reply is for everyone who has problems with Zeus X RTA flavor and clouds.
So:
  1. There are a lot of great prebuild wires like Fused Clapton, Triple Fused, Staggered, Alien etc., which produce great flavor and clouds due to coil evaporation area. Yes, it need more wattage and juice, but the result is insane. P.S. Most of today's atomizers are made especially for these coils.
  2. Сoils placement. The bottom of the coil must be on the level with the bottom airflow line. And coils must be a bit out of the deck (closer to the airflow).
This is how I build my Zeus X with Staggered Fused Clapton 3mm.
photo_2019-04-07_08-39-32.jpg

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I've got a spool of 26Ga fused clapton wire coming in on Monday and I'll give it a try just for the lolz. Might not be good, but who knows... it just might be even better. Worth a build.

This build I'm running now with just round wire is so smooth. No crackles, pops, or spit, just smooth and the tank itself is very quiet with very good vapor production. Really enjoying it.

I love plain old round wire. I keep trying different Clapton’s but I don’t find any improvement in flavor at all and the ramp up time annoys me to no end.

Someone suggested a thinner gauge Clapton because I was using pre made Clapton coils that had thick wire that made for a slow ramp up. I had gotten one of those GeekVape samplers that had like 8 or more different coils builds like reg Clapton, fused, then fancy ones like Tiger, Hive and other coils that didn’t do much besides look pretty lol!

I bought a roll of whatever they suggested at the time I bought the ribbon/flat wire. I just haven’t tried it yet because I enjoy what I’m using now so much. But I should give it a try. I like to at least try different coils, materials etc so when I go back to single round I can at least say I tried lol!

This is what I bought from Lightening Vapes 40ss x 28 ss. Was told because it was thin there shouldn’t be the delay in heating up like I was experiencing.

Do you know what the other gauge of wire of the Clapton you ordered? The other thing with fancy wire is the guzzle juice. Well now this is making me want to test it out tomorrow. I wanted to try the flat wire because it increases the surface area but not so much the mass.

Have you tried twisted wire? I made some by looping the wire thru a coffee mug and holding the other end with pliers. I just kept spinning the mug until it barely could spin anymore. I just got a lot of spitback with it. I guess that’s common. Disappointing but fun to do ha ha!!

18FDE069-5C94-4D7D-92B9-B9D9FBAB0555.png

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I love plain old round wire. I keep trying different Clapton’s but I don’t find any improvement in flavor at all and the ramp up time annoys me to no end.

Someone suggested a thinner gauge Clapton because I was using pre made Clapton coils that had thick wire that made for a slow ramp up. I had gotten one of those GeekVape samplers that had like 8 or more different coils builds like reg Clapton, fused, then fancy ones like Tiger, Hive and other coils that didn’t do much besides look pretty lol!

I bought a roll of whatever they suggested at the time I bought the ribbon/flat wire. I just haven’t tried it yet because I enjoy what I’m using now so much. But I should give it a try. I like to at least try different coils, materials etc so when I go back to single round I can at least say I tried lol!

This is what I bought from Lightening Vapes 40ss x 28 ss. Was told because it was thin there shouldn’t be the delay in heating up like I was experiencing.

Do you know what the other gauge of wire of the Clapton you ordered? The other thing with fancy wire is the guzzle juice. Well now this is making me want to test it out tomorrow. I wanted to try the flat wire because it increases the surface area but not so much the mass.

Have you tried twisted wire? I made some by looping the wire thru a coffee mug and holding the other end with pliers. I just kept spinning the mug until it barely could spin anymore. I just got a lot of spitback with it. I guess that’s common. Disappointing but fun to do ha ha!!

The clapton roll I ordered is the 26*2 + 30ga. I think ramp up will be OK, but won't know until I try it. I'll probably shoot for .4~.5Ohm. I've seen superfine clapton wire meant for MTL vapers from Chinese sources, but couldn't find it locally yet. Might be worth trying and probably has very fast ramp up. I very rarely order from Chinese sites, kind of hate them TBH, so I'll wait to see how the stuff I have coming works out first. Here's the specs for the Superfine SS: SS316L Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Wire 30ga X 2(=)+38ga 10ft. Should pre-heat in TC really quick.

Flat wire does have greater surface area... on 2 sides (and less on the other 2 skinny sides), but it has greater contact with cool juice too maybe making it slower to ramp up... dunno really. Just a thought. Round wire, even claptons, has the same surface exposure all the way around and should keep a more even temp throughout the wire in theory. No way I can test that theory, but kind of makes sense it would be a bit more predictable.

I'm with ya on the round wire. Round wire is absolutely predictable... each and every time. I like that. With compound wires like claptons it's always a crapshoot, even in different places on the same roll, getting perfect distribution of wire at the same tension. I can fiddle all night with coil builds, but I have zero patience for twisting long lengths or wire myself. And my own claptons probably wouldn't be any better than the machine made wire from vendors. Just not my idea of fun.

Edit: Just found a domestic dealer for the superfine SS clapton here:
Vandy Vape Specialty Wire Spool

Last edited:
Reactions: Fidola13

VforVape

Mar 9, 2018
S-E Asia
Hello there.
  1. Сoils placement. The bottom of the coil must be on the level with the bottom airflow line. And coils must be a bit out of the deck (closer to the airflow).
This is how I build my Zeus X with Staggered Fused Clapton 3mm. View attachment 807887

This advice might apply to those with complex wire builds but I've personally done the "wires closer to airflow" thing with a build of 0.2ohm 3.5mm Ni80 simple wire coils and found that it actually mutes the flavour. I had to rewick to make the coils close to each other to get any semblance of flavour going again so I guess building the coils close to each other is the best bet for those of us who are using simple wire builds.

• Agree
Reactions: Berkiz

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
A (single coil) Zeus finding by my friend that I would like to share

My friend must have a bigger than average lung because every puff he takes will go beyond 7 seconds... quite often he will hit the security time limit (in general 10 seconds) set by a mod.

Recently, he bought a Zeus (single coil) tank through my recommendation and incidentally, the first coil he installed in it is the pre-made coil come in the box of the Zeus tank. He was so happy with the new tank until days later when he switches to another SS plain wire coil. He keep getting kind of dry hit at the end of a lengthy draw... So, he keeps switching to different coils: SS316, Kanthal, plain wire, various Clapton etc, but none can satisfy him.

He finally draws a conclusion, only those pre-made coils come in the box of Zeus tank is the real gem. So, he comes back to me for help. He asks me what coil is that? After a thorough study on the coil (I own 5 single coil Zeus tanks and have most of their pre-made coils reserved), he believes the pre-made coils in the Zeus box is Ni80 Super Alien:
View attachment 804807

Well, theoretically, I don't believe certain kind of Clapton "A" will prevent dry hit (due to lengthy draw) better than Clapton "B". Anyway, I am obliged to help him buy a roll of "Super Alien" wire from Fasttech...:facepalm:

So, if you like big and lengthy draw or may be intensive chain-vaping with single coil Zeus, the Super Alien wire might be your real gem!:smokie:
Well, im glad finally know what are made of the amazing coils this tanks comes with, but i hardly believe thats the solution for dry hits or so, since i also own 2 of them, i have used several wires and coil species and could tell that all about this tank is the wick ends, if you cut'em to short will get dry hits and so is for over wicking.... flooded decks, spit backs and last but not less dry hits, so, is all about wick ends or legs,

Regards,

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
So far, I keep coming back to the original Zues from the Zues X. I just can’t seem YET to get a consistently enjoyable vape out of the X. The beauty of an RTA is the endless builds you can in theory try so I’m sure the set up will find me.

I have tried dual and single builds. Kanthal, Nichrom and SS. And have had muted flavor or random flooding.

To give you an idea, I prefer to vape between 25-35 watts with a coolish vape full of flavor. Really love replay on my DNA.

Any pointers or tips that you all have found I would take.

Reactions: KC0YNU

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
So far, I keep coming back to the original Zues from the Zues X. I just can’t seem YET to get a consistently enjoyable vape out of the X. The beauty of an RTA is the endless builds you can in theory try so I’m sure the set up will find me.

I have tried dual and single builds. Kanthal, Nichrom and SS. And have had muted flavor or random flooding.

To give you an idea, I prefer to vape between 25-35 watts with a coolish vape full of flavor. Really love replay on my DNA.

Any pointers or tips that you all have found I would take.
Same for me. I just find myself vaping less and less on my Zeus X because of its inconsistency, regular dry heats (no matter what wick I make, it seems the cotton simply need an eternity to be filled with juice again after a long hit) and, in some cases, lack of flavour. Really like much more my Voluna V2, which I really don't understand why don't receive a fraction of attention this Zeus X are receiving. So much device overall, in my opinion...

• Informative
Reactions: KC0YNU

Berkiz

Apr 16, 2018
Ukraine
regular dry heats (no matter what wick I make, it seems the cotton simply need an eternity to be filled with juice again after a long hit)
Just use really less cotton. Also I had problems with dry heats using kit coils. Solved it by using Staggered Fused.
lack of flavour
Bad wicking -> bad flavor/clouds

Reactions: vimagreg

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
Just use really less cotton. Also I had problems with dry heats using kit coils. Solved it by using Staggered Fused.

Bad wicking -> bad flavor/clouds
I tried it already, but when I wick less cotton I have another problem: a lot of spitbacks. Maybe it's necessary to find a really fine tune in this wicking process. Again, with Voluna V2 I made a lot of wickings already with no problems whatsoever.

But I'll try again. Thanks for the tip.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
I tried it already, but when I wick less cotton I have another problem: a lot of spitbacks. Maybe it's necessary to find a really fine tune in this wicking process. Again, with Voluna V2 I made a lot of wickings already with no problems whatsoever.

But I'll try again. Thanks for the tip.

Even if you can find the best way once (right coil type, coil position and wicking method), I doubt you can repeat it the exact same way in the future...
What a torture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread