Status
Not open for further replies.

alistairs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Castro Valley, CA, USA
Finally got to build this thing tonight. Build deck is fairly tight. Had trouble getting my usual 8 wraps of 28g in there comfortably. Eventually gave up and used 6 instead but then couldn't crank my WAEII down low enough! Wick has to be cut pretty close to edge of deck or it won't slide in nicely.

Plenty vapor. Still tweaking my flavor sweet spot. Gorgeous vape. Probably the nicest feeling drip tip I've ever used.

Anyway I know you really just want the pics so here goes ...

Where it should be:

7a2af29733e9af5da0249f05e1c7a01d.jpg

The main parts for hybrid mode:

654009f4bfa7b67fbe8a737069debf8f.jpg

Wick a little too long:

08efa8f6e32bc2c76dbcd0a96c88dbbb.jpg

After a further trim:

3c0d9b86d0466db2f81275d2368c85e6.jpg

Where it has ended up until I can get some other wire:

a9e237041d0dd95499fedc2a78dccc87.jpg

Have fun everyone as you get going with yours.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Tho I have never lost a screw (or any other part for that matter) of a device - and neither have I ever 'replaced' an O-ring yet in my vape life - but I do think it's a bane of a vaping package if it doesn't have a spares baggy.

Infrequently we do find some atties, like the GEM, which have no spares. And that's ironic. I mean, what's with avoiding some O-rings and some screws? If China can do it - so can our revered modders, can't they? What am I supposed to do if I need some! Hit the modder's webstore for a small order - and pay over double (sometimes triple) in shipping costs? And most of our purchases are coming from far away lands, don't they? So, also wait [im]patiently for the necessities to arrive!

Nope, it's not the done thing. Every package MUST HAVE a spares bag. Period.

Ps.: I think I / we should've pestered MB to include one before it hit retail. It was a serious oversight in my / our feedback reports. I believe I / we failed - and I feel sorry for that.

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I opened my holes from the stock 1.6mm, first to 1.8mm, and then finally to 2.0mm. the holes act exactly like carburetor jets, every engine is going to have different vacuum characteristics just as every vapor is going to have different ways they vape. personally I like to vape with the air wide open and I like to take soft draws and I like fully saturated vapes... with the stock holes I was only able to run ~10 watts or so and I had to leave the airhole at less than fully opened to get enough feed and I always seemed to be battling dry hits and hitting temp control, even at 10-11 watts... now with the 2mm holes I'm vaping my gem today at 450 deg and 26 watts without hitting temp protection with a juice that is a bit less than 100%vg, with 100%vg I can still push it to 17-18 watts or so without hitting temp control... def couldn't do that stock...

I'm NOT saying anyone else should necessarily open there holes up, I'm only sharing what I myself have done here... take from that what you want :) just one more thing to keep in mind, wicking is a way to control juice feed as others have said, with the 2mm holes I'm still vaping with a rather loose wick but if I ever did want to reduce flow a bit, say a very thin watery juice, then I could just pack the wick slightly denser to compensate so opening the holes is not going to ruin your gem, it's only going to recalibrate it. my advice is, if you are going to try this, go slow, try opening it just slightly then living with it fo a week or so to learn exactly how it has changed before deciding to do more... I waited a week and several rewicks before deciding to go up from 1.8mm to 2mm...

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wow, I've only played with it for an hour or so, but so far it's the closest thing to a Challice III that I've tried. It was everything that I was expecting so far.

I also need to give a thumbs up to Sedge, when he said it would come ready to go with some spare parts I was thinking it would have a coil in it. What I got was about a GEM and a half worth of parts with a complete starter kit (batteries, juice, wick, wire and even a coilmaster). It's was built and wicked and all I had to do was put in a battery and fill the tank. I'm used to getting a few extras when I buy stuff in the classifieds, but this was a whole new level.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
For Qorax
-------
@qorax you do some great reviews but I'd challenge you to bring these points up to these guys. Seriously. This so the most expensive atomizer hat I know of. A failure to communicate. A failure to include spares. Poor glass. He needs to be sorting out his existing customers before poncing about with a 209 product run or whatever. This is absolutely ridiculous. Please point him directly at my post or the one a few pages back. He clearly won't read my emails. Maybe I need to hire a translator. If language is he issue let me know. I will find a way(this isn't snark I mean it. I don't expect everyone to speak English well or even at all)

As a potential request or constructive criticism - and bearing in mind I haven't seen all of your videos first off you're extremely likable. You do a great job hi lighting positives with things but I don't know that I've seen you criticize ever. And thats fine if you prefer not to but maybe let people know that you're covering what you like about pieces lest they not be aware of the flaws - or that you don't have much time. Or that you try one vg percentage. There's just no way you have run the gamut of juice types in the gem and never seen the wicking issues.
Dear sir,

First off, I am not a reviewer. Not in the traditional sense, like one who gets tons of gear/s and then s/he deliberates on it's pros & cons. I purchase most of my gears. And that I do after some research. And thankfully - baring a minuscule few - all my purchases have worked out to be like what I thought it would be. And I only upload videos of the ones I like. The stuff I don't like are not talked by me at all. Neither as a video, nor as a Pictorial on ECF, Vaporwall, Wackedout e-Cig Canada or FB. As such my 'reviews' are more like a showcase of a product I like and found to work fine for me. Which is why most of them will talk about the niceties of the product. Remember, the ones I don't like have been already left out. Case in point SQuape-R, Atomo, Nemesis, Hammer etc. I have them, costed a nice chunk, but never talked about them.

Secondly, I do beta test many products. And am known to write a comprehensive report of my observations / opinions / recommendations. The modders are aware of that - and all of my findings are usually taken care of. Thus, launches of some devices do get delayed. GEM was one of those. However, my opinions will be based on my type of vaping. And I am not a "know all" guy. So, some lacunae albeit will be found in those findings of mine.

Thirdly, all atties are not alike. All devices do not perform the same under similar conditions (of setup build, style of vaping, patterns of draw, viscosity of liquid etc.). GEM is not a Kayfun, a Kayfun is not an Erlkonigin, an Erlkonigin is not a Calix, a Calix is not a Phenomenon... you get the drift. They are all different - behave differently - and are meant for their own sector of vaping / vapers. And yes, they each have their own market segment as well.

Fourthly, the GEM spares. Yes, I am with you. And this I have voiced all along. In this very forum - as well as in one of my videos of this atty. And btw, MB listened to me and sent me a truckload of spares baggies to be redistributed amongst all the erstwhile purchasers. For which, I ran a list and shipped them all entirely on my cost. And no, it wasn't only for ECF, it was for all the forums I am part of, including FB. And that list was huge.

Fifthly, specific to the GEM's quality control. Kindly note that I can only speak for what I have. And how I vape, prefer &/or like. My GEMs, two in SS and now one in Ti, all are perfect. Per me. I have no issues of the like what you speak about. Neither in wicking, nor in TC or with the glass or its build quality as a whole. Yes, I also have the first prototype - which had issues - and which were handled before I received the final production sample. The sale units were further tweaked based on our last reports as well. And I do have received one of the sales units. Which does work perfectly too. But, as again, that's per my vaping style.

Nonetheless, pls bear in mind that I do understand that few folks are having issues - and those shouldn't have been there at all. Mainly on QC front. Which I am with you all - a quality product shouldn't be found wanting. But then, Breitlings did have issues once.

Once again, I am first a vaper, exactly like you. Have spent good enough of my time and monies on this hobby. So I am with you. And I hope you understand that brother!

Best wishes,

Stan

Last edited:

Mazaev

Dec 9, 2012
United States
So has there been any solution to the 510 pin issue? I just did my first ni200 build on the GEM and I'm having to adjust the temp quite a bit to keep things consistent.

Regardless, the GEM(II) just came in yesterday and it's my first non chinese RTA since the KLP (which I hated, to be honest). I'm really, really relieved to just be able to use this thing without worrying about leaking. The Aromamizer and Serpent were driving me crazy in that regard. Definitely good flavor (although the Aromamizer, when it works, really upped the game in that regard). That little build deck is gonna take some getting used to though, as I've become accustomed to bigger wire (too bad too, since I have a new-ish roll of 24 gauge SS316L sitting here). Found some old 32g kanthal I had from ages ago yesterday and it was really weird to have a 2.5ohm coil going at 17w. Really happy about the flathead screws since I've stripped quite a few allen heads already on the other tanks.

Also, it perfectly matches the Dicodes No6. I'm usually all about function over form, but couldn't resist here... Here's a couple more pics I took..

StealthyTX

Hates brass
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Alert: Your post in the thread... was edited by a moderator. Reason: Signature is not appropriate.

Hmm, wow!
1. That was not a signature,
2. This is:

f0dx6o.jpg

And the above one seems to be appropriate.
B'coz it has been floating around in all authentic threads since over one year.

Agreed. If that is acceptable, then I suppose a signature like this that gives "both sides" of the argument should be OK also:

"Clones are copies that vape the same but cost a lot less while depriving the creator of income and incentive to innovate and create new and exciting vape gear"

Last edited:

Mtek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2014
WA
Wow guys, thanks. Damn, now I wish I wouldn't have asked because in my head I was thinking I would hate it because it would be too big so I wouldn't want one. Now, thanks to you guys, I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I get one. ;) Seriously tho!

P3 is a world class reg. mod, as is the WAE. Both are a joy to use. Things you don't see is the button operation. P3 has a longer, but nice "throw" like your pushing on felt. WAE is insanely precise, like you just touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread