Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
yeah, what I have been doing is while the coil is in place with the mandrel still mounted, I pull the legs around the screw head and then back over the coil and then keep pulling it tightly as I tighten the screw, this lets you really tighten the screw good and seat well enough to clear the inner chamber, then just bend the rest of the leg back and forth a few times and it pops off clean and flush to the screw. like this 28ga works fine, it's about compressing the wire a little bit as you tighten the screw down

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
yeah, what I have been doing is while the coil is in place with the mandrel still mounted, I pull the legs around the screw head and then back over the coil and then keep pulling it tightly as I tighten the screw, this lets you really tighten the screw good and seat well enough to clear the inner chamber, then just bend the rest of the leg back and forth a few times and it pops off clean and flush to the screw. like this 28ga works fine, it's about compressing the wire a little bit as you tighten the screw down

Yep, I bend the legs off too.
Weird.. We're talking about microns of space here..
So no way tu put something thicker as 0.32mm in there. And I, though tightening the screws as much as I could, didn't even manage that.

R

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Thanks, Q.
Well, filled the tank, leaked all over, had to vape that stuff off :)
Could it be, that the wicks need amost no priming? that way the o-ring in the chimney can't do as much harm to the wick as I think it does now..

R
Shoulders, my dear Watson, "shoulders" :D Pls pay special attention there. Create a bottleneck, but not an obstruction - and definitely not a 'free-flow'.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Could you make some pics next time you build it, wire, wick and all? That would be great.

R

I did a 28 awg Kanthal build on a 2.5mm coil. This isn't my usual build, but I have a reason to do it now. First build, too much wick, wasn't surprised.

NoqEttl.jpg

Cut the wick down just a little bit. Maybe .5mm and 1mm on each side, wicking great now.

uf9qt7q.jpg

Happy Days! The Wae2 is here. I gave in. ;)

TXWV8XM.jpg

Last edited:

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I did a 28 awg Kanthal build on a 2.5mm coil. This isn't my usual build, but I have a reason to do it now. First build, too much wick, wasn't surprised.

Kanthal 28awg 2.5mm - too much wick - Imgur

Cut the wick down just a little bit. Maybe .5mm and 1mm on each side, wicking great now.

Kanthal - 28awg - 2.5mm - good wick - Imgur

Wae2 - Imgur

Thanks. That's how I did it. Leaked at first :) I'll vape this tank empty then try 28awg again.

R

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa

NoqEttl.jpg

uf9qt7q.jpg

TXWV8XM.jpg
Ah, that was extremely helpful, thank you. I got dry hits off 10W around the 3rd toot. Cut the ends to around 0.5 mm sticking out per your suggestion. What a difference 1 mm can make. No more dry hits. Will try to give it more horns later on. Must say the flavour from the GEM is unmatched.
Congrats on the WAE2. A splendid combination.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Got my WAE today ...... Wow is it amazing, put the GEM on it and showed it off at the local vape store. Had two people ask me if it was a 14500 device :)

One thing I forgot about was the DNA30's lack of step down. I vape really low wattage and take long draws. I'm used to building 1.2-1.4 and running 9-10 watts. Guess I have to squeeze a 2 ohm build in the GEM if I want 9 watts with the DNA30 chip.

Anyway I'll do what I have to because the GEM/WAE combo is sweet and to get them both for less than 4 bones including shipping was awesome.

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Sooo... Took 0.32mm wire, made a coil, and cranked down the screws so hard I was afraid to strip the threads or break it off, BUT - it works. No shorts. What is this sorcery...
Next - stuffed a lot of rayon in, I mean a looot, channels full and everything. Left around 0.5mm on each end. Primed a bit, shoved the base in the chimney, filled the tank with a syringe. Turned the tank upside down and opened the AFC before closing the lid completely - so far no leaks, vapes good. Used a juice I love and have vaped in different tanks - flavour is good, but I've overvaped it, so can't tell now, if it's better. It probably is:) Work in progress.
Thank you, gentlemen.

RNGX0ji.jpg

R

jazzvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
USA
Already broke some screws or just for the future?

R

For the future.

Story:
When I received my Chalice III I did not yet own a squonker. My VF Squonk comes in and I am ready to coil and wick.

I sit the atty on my coffee table, loosen the screws, a bit, place the coil, in bad lighting, so I move to better light in the bathroom...and one screw 'disappears'.

Trace my steps between living room and bathroom, with a flashlight, a number of times. (Marks on the floor to prove how many times, back and forth. j/k)

Finally locate the screw promising myself I will NEVER go through that again. Ordered two (2) counterfeits, worth twenty bucks, just for the screws, to avoid a repeat of that experience.

The GEM screws are as tiny as those of the Chalice III. I need to be, and am, overly careful with them. Not fun...

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
For the future.

Story:
When I received my Chalice III I did not yet own a squonker. My VF Squonk comes in and I am ready to coil and wick.

I sit the atty on my coffee table, loosen the screws, a bit, place the coil, in bad lighting, so I move to better light in the bathroom...and one screw 'disappears'.

Trace my steps between living room and bathroom, with a flashlight, a number of times. (Marks on the floor to prove how many times, back and forth. j/k)

Finally locate the screw promising myself I will NEVER go through that again. Ordered two (2) counterfeits, worth twenty bucks, to avoid a repeat of that experience.

The GEM screws are as tiny as those of the Chalice III. I need to be, and am, overly careful with them. Not fun...

Yeah, they are small. Then again, it's the same with every atty.

R

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
^^^^^ Never lost or misplaced any other screw....including the ridiculously small grub screws on the Velocity. :)

I've never lost one (yet), but I think of it this way - if I lose one, then, either I contact the guys who make the product directly (SM has spares, others will probably sell and ship you some; I have the feeling, Mark would ) or, if they're somewhere in China, buy something, that has those parts I need cheap again.

R

Reactions: Freedom2Vape

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Tho I have never lost a screw (or any other part for that matter) of a device - and neither have I ever 'replaced' an O-ring yet in my vape life - but I do think it's a bane of a vaping package if it doesn't have a spares baggy.

Infrequently we do find some atties, like the GEM, which have no spares. And that's ironic. I mean, what's with avoiding some O-rings and some screws? If China can do it - so can our revered modders, can't they? What am I supposed to do if I need some! Hit the modder's webstore for a small order - and pay over double (sometimes triple) in shipping costs? And most of our purchases are coming from far away lands, don't they? So, also wait [im]patiently for the necessities to arrive!

Nope, it's not the done thing. Every package MUST HAVE a spares bag. Period.

Ps.: I think I / we should've pestered MB to include one before it hit retail. It was a serious oversight in my / our feedback reports. I believe I / we failed - and I feel sorry for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread