Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
The chalice beats the gem for me only because I can ensure full saturation on each hit, each and every time, where the gem is more dependant on wicking and the moon aligning with the stars and stuff like that ;) when the gem feeds well it is every bit as good as the chalice but that can vary depending on wicking and intensity of draw and juice consistency

Reactions: xtreme101

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Well yeah, the chalice is strictly a mouth to lung single coil flavor atty. If your looking for large volume dual coil type vape then yeah, the chalice can seem a little wimpy... personally I'm good with quality over quantity but if your looking for more the chalice is a bit limited

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to tell you that soon we will be finishing the Gem made from titanium.
It will be a limited edition, only 200 pieces.
We will let you know when it will be available and where, in few days.

Vape on!

:)

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
So I managed to get a wae ii for a decent price. The only concern I have now is when I just built with kanthal and tried to use different wicks. Nothing wicked even remotely correctly except
Maybe cotton bacon. And that was a challenge. So hopefully I can find a build that works well without temp control. I tried qorax' build literally to a t but it just did t wick well. I'm using a very thick juice and I seem to be stuck between dry hits and leaking when finished for a night. I may try a spaced coil too. That said I have to say cotton bacon works very well. I know it's a repackage of something. But it works so what can I say. Also
With how little wick the gem uses a bag of cotton bacon is like a four month supply.

I'll have to travel back through the thread and look at some
Kanthal builds. See what happens. It's possible my dry hits were hot spots or
Resistance fluctuations. I've also reached out to mark bugs about two more issues with one of my gems One I e mentioned here the afc going past the hole a bit. The second is the 510 adaptor that has the kabuki tie coming out of the bottom. Prevents it being screwed in flush with most
Mods. Also I find it strange that one of my 510 bases will only fit one of my gems. The other base fits both gems. I noticed there's a problem with the threading where it was started and I think that's why

I hope he actually responds to my email. I've been pretty disappointed with the amount of trouble I've had and the build quality of one of my gems. The other one is basically perfect. This one is riddled with issues. When you have two and see so many issues with one. It's disconcerting.

I get he's busy but I believe he needs to provide better support and double check quality control at this price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: qorax

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
So I just wanted to say with a kanthal build and wicking. You really have to go to basics. Anything that's too low resistance just burns too fast for the wicking to be right in my experience. I just decided to do a very light build and did 7-8 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal which was like 1.5-6 ohms. And wicked it where the cotton was just getting resistance. I cut the wick just at the side of the deck. Fired it up and it's working perfectly.

Previously I was trying builds in the
.8-1 ohm range and that's when it just didn't really get going. With temp
Control builds you have the fall back of the device leveling the speed and heat but with kanthal it seems like wih the deck setup the way it is really I'm guessing one less wrap would have been perfect for me. And then you hair build it like the squape. M
So if anyone is having issues with a kanthal build take consider the above and let me know if it worked for you too the wicking seems a lot more forgiving at reasonable power levels with a higher resistance coil. Even when I turned the power up to 5.2-5 volts it still wicked perfectly. So you can get similar vape to the .8 builds with more forgiving wicking with the longer coil and smaller wire.

As always ymmv. I'm using a thick juice which is mentioned with kanthal either flooded or dry hits galore with a 26 gauge five or so wrap
Coil.

It would seem the emoting of wick drying out and how dry it gets with the longer more distributed heat impacts greatly the gems ability to continue to wick fast enough. Distribution and surface area. Duh!

Maybe I got lucky with this build but I don't think so. Makes me feel better about the wae ii purchase.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone - gem that I received is great. I find that if I turn it upside down, there is leakage of juice out of the drip tip. Is that common? How can I prevent that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're flooding the chamber. Pls beef up the wick a bit and flare up the tail ends.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Hey everyone - gem that I received is great. I find that if I turn it upside down, there is leakage of juice out of the drip tip. Is that common? How can I prevent that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See @qorax post above. IN the mean time, you can clear it temporarily by turning it upside down and blowing through the AF hole. Make sure you have some means of collecting the effluent! If you havent watched Q's vid on the GEM, have a look and check out the fill procedure also. Its easy to flood it on filling and that may be your problem, rather than a fault of the wicking per se :)

Impulso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocklin, ca
Thanks for the suggestions. I put in more cotton, and the dripping seems to have been minimized but not completely. If i leave it for a few hours on the side, i see some liquid residue eventually. Its not coming from the AF hole, but from the driptip which is bizarre. Flavor is amazing though.

TheothersteveS - I don't have any flooding until I leave it on its side for a few hours, so its not during filling. I've watched the video plenty of times. I swear Q is using unicorn mane as his wick!!

See @qorax post above. IN the mean time, you can clear it temporarily by turning it upside down and blowing through the AF hole. Make sure you have some means of collecting the effluent! If you havent watched Q's vid on the GEM, have a look and check out the fill procedure also. Its easy to flood it on filling and that may be your problem, rather than a fault of the wicking per se :)

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
...I've watched the video plenty of times. I swear Q is using unicorn mane as his wick!!
I have stopped using that, and anything else. Now I just use CC Rayon
drunk-irish-048.gif

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
So (after reading 20 or so of the last pages) not sure on the general consensus but it appears I should pass if intended usage is solely for Ti TC.
How say ye oh esteemed Ti TC Master Senseis?
Yay or Nay on the GEM (strictly for Ti TC implementation)?

Plan to get another higher-end RTA strictly for Ti TC and don't wish to make a $180 faux pas....
Had narrowed down to either the GEM or the new UCT Russian 3.0 and wanting to pull the trigger on something by tomorrow.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
So (after reading 20 or so of the last pages) not sure on the general consensus but it appears I should pass if intended usage is solely for Ti TC.
How say ye oh esteemed Ti TC Master Senseis?
Yay or Nay on the GEM (strictly for Ti TC implementation)?

Plan to get another higher-end RTA strictly for Ti TC and don't wish to make a $180 faux pas....
Had narrowed down to either the GEM or the new UCT Russian 3.0 and wanting to pull the trigger on something by tomorrow.

Personally I find the GEM to perform poorly with Ti in TC mode. In fact I find it poor with any coil wire in TC mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread