Genesis style vs Kayfun style vs Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesop

Mar 14, 2012
Los Angeles, CA, US
@T0ny3 I picked it up at VaperCompany during their Memorial Day Sale (Normally $35). Great service and added bonus for me is they are in Los Angeles :)

@ MGMcCoy, good luck with the KF, hopefully it's in the mail room :) It really is a very good atty; there is a reason so many vendors are trying to make that KF killer :)

If you google "kayfun Chimney Coil" there are a ton of instructables on it. On the KF I would put the coil on the deck over the air hole. and wrap cotton around the coil (tightly) then loosely around the rest of the upper deck. Great flavor and never a leaky or dry hit once I got my wicking skills down for it.

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
SHE'S HERE! Ready for that chimney build.... Build photos and critique forthcoming!
sa5y3eja.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MGMcCoy

Jun 1, 2014
Columbus, GA
Ok..... Drama drama drama! This is what I get for ordering a clone I guess....

So first I unbox all excited and ready to build/vape!!! I figure since it's my first I fun build I would just do a simple microcoil and test er out... Well wouldn't ya know, the screw hole on the positive post is too big or stripped out...

dube3a3u.jpg

Then I noticed that there we're screw holes on the side do the block so I thought to myself, "self! You may be able to screw into that and make it work" boy was I wrong! With the screw in there the chimney wouldn't fit!! AHHHHHHH Then my inner redneck came out, as I was determined to vape this sucker!!! So I got out the ole Dremel and screwed that screw in over a piece of kanthal, ground away the side if the head of the screw and installed my coil..

ysytevu6.jpg

It worked!!! So I tested er out and she came out to 1.3 ohms..(we'll have to lower that soon!)

ne7yra9u.jpg

So first thing I noticed was the tight draw... I have to air flow adjustment screw out completely and it's pretty tough to Lung hit this guy.... And second was the lack of vapor and flavor compared to my dripper! Now I expected both of the outcomes due to the higher resistance coil so I will lower that ohm reading by quite a bit on my next build... I will also be trying that vertical build out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

el Jexican

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
I've tried them all in this order: Protank II, RSST, Dripper, bottom fed dripper (ReoGrand), and lastly the Kayfun.

The Geni style is a great vape. SS mesh puts out a nice crisp flavor. They can be a little bit more of a hassle to set up than your standard RBA but a good vape none the less. In the end I wanted a good vape on the go without worrynig about it leaking. Drippers are my perferred way to vape. The warm, dense and flavorfull vape that they can provide are unmatched IMO. The problem with dripping is that you have to drip, which can be a hassle while on the go. Pulled the trigger on a ReoGrand and Cyclone RDA and instantly fell in love. Dripping from the bottom is so awesome. There is nothing like the flavor you get from a fully saturated wick in a dripper and you can get that vape everytime with ease with the Reo. Was at a B&M buying some juice and ended up picking up a Kayfun. Built a simple microcoil, wicked it with cotton and filled her up. Ran through a few tanks with it then took it apart, cleaned it, dry burned the coil some, put it back together and set it in my cabinate...haven't touched it since. In the end it didn't even come close to the vape I get with the Reo/Cyclone combo. I still use my other mechs and drippers from time to time to try different coil set ups or when I'm feeling froggy and want to hit the .0000000001ohm cloud chasing set up. For the quality of vape, ease of use, and consistancy you really can't beat a ReoGrand with a quality BF RDA....especially on the go.

Johnny P

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Greece
Depends on the dripper or genny.

Most drippers are set up more for clouds than flavor, as evidenced by their large chambers.

Kayfun has a very small chamber that bottlenecks into your drip tip. So set up properly the flavor is very concentrated and the throat hit is more pronounced than your typical cloud chaser dripper.
Cloud production however is not even close to a typical dripper.

Think of it as a reliable version of a protank or evod on A LOT of steroids.

Gennys are typically kind of in the middle. Some of them with larger chambers and expanded air flow can produce some pretty serious clouds. Some have smaller chambers or even optional reducers that can increase flavor but again at the cost of cloud production.

Of course I should mention that mini drippers can equal or exceed kayfuns for flavor and still easily produce more vapor.

And there are some larger drippers now that are oriented a little more towards flavor while still being able of being fog machines, like the magma (allegedly, still waiting on mine)

But obviously Kayfuns (and similar) still win for over all convenience.

And of course this is all academic, ymmv based on personal taste, juice used and the most crucial factor: your build.

All in all everything has a trade off.
Some people value 1 aspect over others and pick accordingly.

Me, I like em all.
Kayfuns are my number one ride by far, pretty rare that I leave home without one. But I still love sub ohm cloud chasing.

I agree with what he says this post. :)
The way each user is different.
Just all atomizers plays major role and quality of materials used, however, is the wick, wire, cotton and mesh.
There isn't always all the same.

Also key is the very composition of fluids Vg/Pg. Play's a big role in the crisis / vaping of each user.

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
RSST's don't leak terribly. As long as its not upside down in your pocket, you should be fine. Even if you lay it on its side, it would depend how its laying. You might get a small amount through the top cap air hole. Even with all that said, if you took the top cap off, and hang it from a string upside down, it would several minutes before a drop of juice would hit the floor. The cotton wick basically forms a seal.

So I wouldn't let leaking issues hold you back from trying a genesis style rba. I run my rsst off my 4nine mech, and from top of drip to bottom of mech its only 5.25 inches, and that is with a 18650. So I tend to keep it in my change pocket.

Anyways, this thread made me revisit my rsst once again, and cleaned it down and did a quick rebuild. Totally digging it again. So went ahead and ordered the upgraded center pin kidney puncher sells. Was gonna grab the upgraded top cap, but will hang tight on that. If this new center pin turns my rsst into a beast, then I will check one out.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Me neither, but Kraken is so sexy I had to order a clone.
Home use only I guess.

I keep eyeing up the gold and/or brass kraken. I agree it's HOT! It's also a good thing that my mod isn't brass and that gold/brass toppers would look like poop on it; otherwise, I would have pulled the trigger on it. Lol

Aesop

Mar 14, 2012
Los Angeles, CA, US
@MGMcCoy, It's a shame to hear you got a bum clone!

I've had good an bad experiences with clones, and even most of the good experiences required some tinkering on my part.

I feel like I got off track talking about tanks when my real preference is drippers :D

I generally tell anyone looking to get into RBA's to start on an IGO-W. Easy to build on, you can get great flavor or clouds on them depending on your build (and drilling holes in the caps). Best of all, they are cheap! I pick up a couple to give as gifts when I find them at $10 or less.

I've collected most of the UD's IGO line of drippers (just missing the IGO-M, W5, and W7 atm) and each has a little something to offer. Even the IGO-F micro-genny.

I firmly believe that you can get the best flavor and vapor production from an RDA. They just suck on a long drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread