Getting My Wife Started on Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as good as you might think. I have my own personal agenda for doing the research and buying my wife e-cigs. As someone who has never smoked (not one inhalation of anything), smoking is a habit that my wife has that I absolutely hate; it's amazing we even found each other, but love has its ways. I figure that if I can wean my wife away from cigarettes then she has a better chance of quitting altogether. At the very least, I won't be breathing secondhand smoke. I've gotten her to smoke outdoors or in the garage, but even there I smell the smoke in the house. And come winter, I take over the garage with my bicycle trainer (competitive cyclist). I don't want smoke in the garage when I train. It'll also be nice not to smell smoke on clothing or on her breath and mouth. I'll do anything to help her stop the bad habit of smoking. After 20 years of living together, this is the first chance of seeing real headway to getting her to quit cigarettes. I'm thrilled!
First off....you're a good hubby to be doing this for your spouse. Too many women don't know how lucky they are to have guys like you and me...lol.

I've had both, rivas and egos, and found the ego to be a superior product.(my opinion). Cartos rock(atties suck...too much fiddeling around).

Finding a juice that you(she) will like is like finding a movie that you(she) or myself will all like. It's almost impossible to find one that everyone likes. Madvapes has a good assortment of tobacco type juices that are pretty reasonably priced. I know that a lot of people will steer you towards samplers, and that is good...kinda, if your a "dripper", but with cartos that can take 3+ mls. to fill it is kind of hard to check out a juice when you only get 1 or 2 chances to decide if you like it or not. I quit ordering samplers for that reason and only order 10 mls. as a sampler. But at the onset the smaller samplers might work because without a doubt she will take a single vape of some juice that she will know right away is not for her.

Value vapor has some good priced juice also for getting your feet wet with vaping. And then, if she is anything like the rest of us, she will soon be ordering/stalking/stockpiling/sampling...etc...

Good luck on your quest. And again...you're a good guy for doing this your beloved.

Thanks. That's what I was sort-of thinking. As an alternative to the Delrin drip tips, though more expensive, I was thinking about the Ming Drip Tip from Cherry Vape. Is this a good choice, or is it overkill?

As for juices, I'll stick with the Vapor Station for now. I think they have a wide enough selection to get my wife started.
...the drip tips and syringe are only included if you order the bundle(15) of cartos...sorry, I didn't make that clear.....................
madjack:2cool:

Is a syringe a useful purchase too?
Thanks. That's what I was sort-of thinking. As an alternative to the Delrin drip tips, though more expensive, I was thinking about the Ming Drip Tip from Cherry Vape. Is this a good choice, or is it overkill?

As for juices, I'll stick with the Vapor Station for now. I think they have a wide enough selection to get my wife started.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
If you're making a purchase from a place that has them, yes I'd get one. I was just reading in the other section that the VS samples have something called a eurodropper or something like that and you might need a syringe. My bottles from VS weren't like that, they were glass bottles with an eyedropper. Maybe the sample sizes are different.

Regarding smoking- Ages ago hubby & I both decided to quit. He did, I didn't so I can see why it hasn't been easy for you. To his credit, he never said anything about my smoking (knew I tried to quit) but was very happy that I started vaping.

I didn't really vape to quit, just wanted the house to smell better and my mother lives with us and has health issues and had to quit cigs. The first time I vaped I knew it had the potential to work. We just stuck with it and both of us quit and haven't had a cig in about 7 months.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
I use a syringe for the first fill of a new carto...since the filler is dry, it doesn't absorb as fast...with a syringe, I fill it to the supposed capacity of the carto, after removing the little white "donut", I insert down one side and slowly add about half, then change positions and add the rest...pull out syringe and look at filler, it should look like a Slurpee that is just starting to melt...if needed, drip a few drops down the side to make it look so...give a little blow to clear the air channel, wipe the threads with a tissue, attach battery, insert drip tip and vape...my wife and step daughter generally use a syringe for all filling but after I fill the first time, I just drip down the inside to top off...I like to keep the carto fairly wet for best taste and longevity...when I estimate the carto is down around 50-75% empty, I top it off and keep on keeping on...so, no a syringe is not actually needed but can come in handy for that first fill, transferring liquids from one bottle to another and other uses...as always YMMV and the specifics of vaping will become apparent as you (and wife) move over the top of that learning/convenience curve..........

hawkizefan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
omaha
I was a HEAVY smoker for 35+ years...married a non-smoking kindergarten teacher. I rolled my own for about the last 20 or so years, Drum...to the tune of about 40 to 50 a day. Never ever lit one up in the house but did the garage thing in the really bitter winter times. Wife hated the garage thing but I hate being cold (diabetic and my feet get cold around sept. and don't warm up till.....july).

Still think you're a helluva dude for doing this for your wife. My wife,I know, is glad I don't smoke any longer but this whole vaping obsession (and that is what it is...so be prepared if you send your wife down this path and it sticks. Way more complicated and time consuming than running up to the corner for a pack or pouch) is lost on on her. She doesn't complain but the eye rolling thing irratates the he*l out of me.

I get your motive for helping her to stop smoking.....just be prepared if she becomes a vape junkie.

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Finding the right juice is just as important as finding the right hardware! I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but a good way to try different juices and combinations of nic levels from different vendors is to check out the classifieds as folks will sometimes offer up juices in lots.

When we were first married I tried to get my wife to quit. That was futile. She used to smoke in the house, but it was a big house and she often smoked in her home office. Now that we've downsized homes a year ago, smoking in the house became problematic for me. I didn't complain, but I left the room whenever she lit up - which was quite often! A month ago she decided on her own accord to smoke either outside or in the garage and not in the house. However, last week our daughter (age 25) decided to stop smoking - cold turkey. During her visit we were all talking and e-cigs were brought up in the discussion - mostly by our daughter. My wife agreed to give them a try, knowing she can smoke them in the house. I said that I would buy them for her. Thus my search began.
If you're making a purchase from a place that has them, yes I'd get one. I was just reading in the other section that the VS samples have something called a eurodropper or something like that and you might need a syringe. My bottles from VS weren't like that, they were glass bottles with an eyedropper. Maybe the sample sizes are different.

Regarding smoking- Ages ago hubby & I both decided to quit. He did, I didn't so I can see why it hasn't been easy for you. To his credit, he never said anything about my smoking (knew I tried to quit) but was very happy that I started vaping.

I didn't really vape to quit, just wanted the house to smell better and my mother lives with us and has health issues and had to quit cigs. The first time I vaped I knew it had the potential to work. We just stuck with it and both of us quit and haven't had a cig in about 7 months.

Ultimately, that's fine with me. While I would prefer her to quit altogether, vaping will at least cut out the effect cigarettes have on me, and the lack of tar and other smoke poisons should improve her health as well. Even if e-cigs reduces her smoking that's a big improvement over the status quo.
I was a HEAVY smoker for 35+ years...married a non-smoking kindergarten teacher. I rolled my own for about the last 20 or so years, Drum...to the tune of about 40 to 50 a day. Never ever lit one up in the house but did the garage thing in the really bitter winter times. Wife hated the garage thing but I hate being cold (diabetic and my feet get cold around sept. and don't warm up till.....july).

Still think you're a helluva dude for doing this for your wife. My wife,I know, is glad I don't smoke any longer but this whole vaping obsession (and that is what it is...so be prepared if you send your wife down this path and it sticks. Way more complicated and time consuming than running up to the corner for a pack or pouch) is lost on on her. She doesn't complain but the eye rolling thing irratates the he*l out of me.

I get your motive for helping her to stop smoking.....just be prepared if she becomes a vape junkie.

If my wife accepts the e-cig habit, then let the juice search begin! Thanks for the classified suggestion.
Finding the right juice is just as important as finding the right hardware! I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but a good way to try different juices and combinations of nic levels from different vendors is to check out the classifieds as folks will sometimes offer up juices in lots.

Before I start buying, here's my current order for your review. Again, thank you, thank you for all of your suggestions!!!!

1) Black Riva 510 Carto Deluxe starter kit from Liberty-Flights. $34.39. (include 5-pack of Boge cartomizers).
2) 500mA Mains Plug - US. $5.99. (the Carto Deluxe kit comes with USB cable only).
3) 5-pack of Ressurector Cartomizers from Crystal Clear Vaping. $7.85.
4) 50ml Sampler Pack from the Vapor Station. 24mg, VS4, Tampa, Seattle, Tennessee, Frisco, Texas , Phoenix, RY4 , Cherry Almond, Watermelon. $25. I will also make a separate buy of 15ml bottles of Tennessee (35mg, standard) and Tampa (24mg, standard mix). $15. I read that the sampler packs can take some time to be delivered.
5) Syringe if I can find one.
6) Ming Drip Tip from Cherry Vape. $8.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
That sounds good- here's another option to make your head spin.

For the same price as the ming drip tip (which is really nice)

Good Prophets use code TVC friend 5% off
510 atomizer $4.99 ( I use it to test juice)
510 matte atomizer (new)

plastic drip tip $1.99
Drip Tips Clear Colored
syringe $.99
EZ Refill Tool

BTW, after you purchase your kit from LF, review it and you get a .49 credit for each item you review.

There is a code for CCV, I'll try to find it.

ecf5off

Last edited:
It sounds like an atomizer would be useful. Perhaps I should buy the Riva Lite kit instead of the Deluxe (carrying case with cartos, but no atomizer).
That sounds good- here's another option to make your head spin.

For the same price as the ming drip tip (which is really nice)

Good Prophets use code TVC friend 5% off
510 atomizer $4.99 ( I use it to test juice)
510 matte atomizer (new)

plastic drip tip $1.99
Drip Tips Clear Colored
syringe $.99
EZ Refill Tool

BTW, after you purchase your kit from LF, review it and you get a .49 credit for each item you review.

There is a code for CCV, I'll try to find it.

ecf5off

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...it's a toss up between the two kits...the atomizers are certainly nice for sampling new juices and the Lite kit comes with the 120vac to USB adapter...the carts which come with the Lite kit aren't really good for much...myself, I bought the Lite kit(4 of 'em) so that is my choice...if you go with the Lite kit(or even if you don't) I would get the whole bundle(15=3boxes) fromCCV instead of one box(you will use 'em)...if you get the bundle, they throw in 2 drip tips and a syringe...the choice is yours...............

p.s. cartos are considered disposables...I can use one about a week before it starts to get hard to draw thru and the taste gets a little off...they can be saved up and cleaned, which I do...I boil them 10min, drain and rinse out...3 times, blow out excess water and allow to dry a couple of days...about the third time you clean them, they start to die...keep in mind, many folks never clean 'em, just toss 'em after a week...at a little over a buck a piece, the actual cost is negligible against the cost of the funkarettes...once again, the choice is yours........mj

I'm going with my latest list, adding swedishfish's suggestions at Good Prophets (though Delrin drip tip) and eliminating the Ming drip tip.
...it's a toss up between the two kits...the atomizers are certainly nice for sampling new juices and the Lite kit comes with the 120vac to USB adapter...the carts which come with the Lite kit aren't really good for much...myself, I bought the Lite kit(4 of 'em) so that is my choice...if you go with the Lite kit(or even if you don't) I would get the whole bundle(15=3boxes) fromCCV instead of one box(you will use 'em)...if you get the bundle, they throw in 2 drip tips and a syringe...the choice is yours...............

p.s. cartos are considered disposables...I can use one about a week before it starts to get hard to draw thru and the taste gets a little off...they can be saved up and cleaned, which I do...I boil them 10min, drain and rinse out...3 times, blow out excess water and allow to dry a couple of days...about the third time you clean them, they start to die...keep in mind, many folks never clean 'em, just toss 'em after a week...at a little over a buck a piece, the actual cost is negligible against the cost of the funkarettes...once again, the choice is yours........mj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread