Want Mom to quit smoking; What's your recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpassi

Mar 19, 2011
Chicago
Greetings,

My mother has been smoking cigarettes for 20 some years and after trying my Volcano Magma last weekend stated that she would like to give a PV a try (but not in that language). I want to surprise her next weekend when I see her with a nice starter kit. I was thinking about going with the Joye 510 starter kit from liberty-flights for $30. It seems like a great price and I've hear that this is a great unit (very similar to my Magma).

I want to make things as easy as possible for her, OTW she'll just keep smoking analogs(!), so I was going to buy some packs of pre-filled cartomizers from LiquidXpress.com as well. I would then present the whole ensemble to her with clear instructions for use.

What are your thoughts? Is there a more simple method? I hope this works!!

FYI, here's some general information:
62 years old
Not likely to spend time dripping, filling, etc.
Is home a majority of the time
Smokes 1/2 to a pack of Marlboro Reds per day (she won't let anyone know the exact amount)
Will, most likely, require a strong enough throat hit

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
IMO, the easiest system to use is still the KR808D-1. If she's home all day, she likely won't need the PCC so that cuts down on the cost quite a bit.

I like the cartos from vapor4life, but you can get the kit several different places.

I just bought one from electronic ash -- white automatic batt/orange led -- (discount code: "ecigforum") for $39.50:
KR808D-1 Mini e-Cigarette Starter Kit [KR808D-1] - $39.50 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

You can also get it from litecigusa -- three different colors manual batts/blue led --for $34.95:
Kr808d-1 starter kit: kr808d-1 cartomizers, kr808d battery and more! Kr808d-1 kit from LiteCigUSA!

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
My mom and I started on the "vape quest" together. Neither of us want to die while laying bed bound on oxygen, or worse intubated, having other people make decisions for us.
First we found a "buy one get one free" deal at a flea market for the vogue 401's a few years ago when the ecig first hit the usa. we failed. we couldn't find cartos, we couldn't find menthol juice, or any juices for that matter.

In February of this year I found ECF. I ordered the joye 510, introduced her to it, so she bought a kit. She loves it & swears she will never get rid of it. She actually got in trouble at her job (healthcare professional) for vaping!!!! It's a non-smoking facility, so she figured vaping would be ok. ahhhhhhhhhh..........

Then I found the Ego-T, she loved the fact that the cart held more juices, etc. I bought a kit and she followed right behind me.

I got my first bottom feeder the Reo Mini last week. No filling of carts, fill the juice bottle once, pop in a standard lithium ion rechargable battery and you are good to go. Today I let her take a hit off mine. She was stunned. She is now trying to sell her entire ego-t system in the classifieds so that she can buy a bottom feeder. (in the long run she will save both time, money and messiness)

I think everyone directly converting needs to start with something that actually looks like a cigarette, just so they don't feel "weird". Eventually, they will catch on to the vaping experience and find out what juice and hardware works for them. Don't give up on your mom. I know my mom still lights up now and then, but I KNOW it's because she hasn't found the right STUFF to make vaping right for her.

I know you say you want to make things as easy as possible for your mom. In that case, just from my own personal experience in the past........the bottom feeder is the win! fill the bottle, pop in a battery and she will be vaping until her heart is content all day, and possibly 2 days without ever having to charge a battery or mess with filling anything!!! If the Reo is too expensive (it's well over $100), then try one of old goat's box mods. He sells 'em for like $45 bucks, and you can get it personalized and delivered within a week. I just did a video review on his box mod today.

Best of luck to you, and I'm really happy that you are trying to help your mom! I think that is wonderful!!!
vape love,
Jen

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
I sound like a broken record but the Joye Ego starter from Liberty Flights is real great choice and I am especially taking into consideration she is not going to be into dripping or any fancy stuff,
but,
I think you might be right with the 510 Starter kit too. You got the right idea if you ask me.

This is just a crazy thing I noticed as I meet more Vapers but it does seem like a lot of the older gals LOVE the fun fruits, peaches and melon flavours and the cute ones like 'cinnamon buns' and cakes.

(*duly noted even some of us big tough guys like some of those too ;)

My guess is that she don't care about the technology or the brand name or the power or 'big vapor clouds' but she will be very intrigued with a classy little e-cig (possibly a pink or red or elegant colour?) and sampling the many different fruits, cakes, spices etc.

btw.. in case I have stereotyped enough I was just thinking my one Grandmother was the kind who could fire up a cuban cigar or filterless cigarette and outsmoke any men at the table lol

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
My mom and I started on the "vape quest" together. Neither of us want to die while laying bed bound on oxygen, or worse intubated, having other people make decisions for us.
First we found a "buy one get one free" deal at a flea market for the vogue 401's a few years ago when the ecig first hit the usa. we failed. we couldn't find cartos, we couldn't find menthol juice, or any juices for that matter.

In February of this year I found ECF. I ordered the joye 510, introduced her to it, so she bought a kit. She loves it & swears she will never get rid of it. She actually got in trouble at her job (healthcare professional) for vaping!!!! It's a non-smoking facility, so she figured vaping would be ok. ahhhhhhhhhh..........

Then I found the Ego-T, she loved the fact that the cart held more juices, etc. I bought a kit and she followed right behind me.

I got my first bottom feeder the Reo Mini last week. No filling of carts, fill the juice bottle once, pop in a standard lithium ion rechargable battery and you are good to go. Today I let her take a hit off mine. She was stunned. She is now trying to sell her entire ego-t system in the classifieds so that she can buy a bottom feeder. (in the long run she will save both time, money and messiness)

I think everyone directly converting needs to start with something that actually looks like a cigarette, just so they don't feel "weird". Eventually, they will catch on to the vaping experience and find out what juice and hardware works for them. Don't give up on your mom. I know my mom still lights up now and then, but I KNOW it's because she hasn't found the right STUFF to make vaping right for her.

I know you say you want to make things as easy as possible for your mom. In that case, just from my own personal experience in the past........the bottom feeder is the win! fill the bottle, pop in a battery and she will be vaping until her heart is content all day, and possibly 2 days without ever having to charge a battery or mess with filling anything!!! If the Reo is too expensive (it's well over $100), then try one of old goat's box mods. He sells 'em for like $45 bucks, and you can get it personalized and delivered within a week. I just did a video review on his box mod today.

Best of luck to you, and I'm really happy that you are trying to help your mom! I think that is wonderful!!!
vape love,
Jen

Great post!!

Current Bottom Feed Juice Box Mods Available...with Links

Pneathery

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Surfside Beach SC
One thing to remember about the Joye 510 is the battery life. When I quit I was smoking between 3-5 packs a day, and my wife had a Joye 510 that she wasn't using so I started using it, and I had to refill the cart every 5 drags, and had to change batteries every 30 minutes. If I hadn't found the Joye ego style battery I would have started smoking again, I get 6-8 hours between charges. I also use a Joye 510Mega atty/cart they hold twice the amount of juice as a regular 510.
I am currently waiting on a bottom feeder 3.7volt big box mod from Old Goat mods, that's what Jen said earlier. Mine is the big boy, it holds 7.5ml of juice and uses the big batteries, I VAPE 10ml a day, so I get really tired of filling stuff so much.
Mine is $70, plus I already had ordered good batteries, and a decent battery charger for $65 I was trying to get a REO Grand, but it didn't work out, so I'll use this one till it is beyond repair and hopefully then I can get the REO, they are indestructible!
Good luck on your journey, personally I couldn't get my mom to even try one out. She was in the hospital for 3 days and was dying for a smoke, but wouldn't even give a Joye 510 auto a trial puff.

Last edited:

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
One thing to remember about the Joye 510 is the battery life. When I quit I was smoking between 3-5 packs a day, and my wife had a Joye 510 that she wasn't using so I started using it, and I had to refill the cart every 5 drags, and had to change batteries every 30 minutes. If I hadn't found the Joye ego style battery I would have started smoking again, I get 6-8 hours between charges. I also use a Joye 510Mega atty/cart they hold twice the amount of juice as a regular 510.

This is a dilemma when recommending the best PV to impress or 'convert' a dedicated smoker - 510 is a great 'introduction'.
The Joye Ego 'may' scare away first-time analog smokers (size, weight etc).

Now the problem does come about 2 weeks later or so. Okay.. ya they do like this vaping but like you said they are turned back by 30 minute battery life and maybe not quite enough vapor.

I mentioned the Joye Ego too. Maybe 'at first' seems too bulky to a cigarette smoker BUT if they can get used to that first - the Ego will keep them vaping longer with less disappointment.

GMoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
MA
This is a dilemma when recommending the best PV to impress or 'convert' a dedicated smoker - 510 is a great 'introduction'.
The Joye Ego 'may' scare away first-time analog smokers (size, weight etc).

Now the problem does come about 2 weeks later or so. Okay.. ya they do like this vaping but like you said they are turned back by 30 minute battery life and maybe not quite enough vapor.

I mentioned the Joye Ego too. Maybe 'at first' seems too bulky to a cigarette smoker BUT if they can get used to that first - the Ego will keep them vaping longer with less disappointment.

I think that is why people generally recommend something good, cigarette like but cheap, 510 or kr808d1. It is a good transition and they have money left to upgrade. If the person seems committed but has limited funds and "has to" get it right the first time then something better is in order.

ropetrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Athens, GA
So many newbies prefer the more cigarette-like form factors that I'd be hesitant to recommend an eGo or a mod, but it might be the best choice if she's not going to use it in public where she might be self-conscious.

I strongly agree that cartomizers are the way to go; I'm about to try to switch my stepmom to them, as she's about given up on fooling around with carts and attys. New users just aren't likely to commit to cleaning and changing filler material and all that nonsense. At least at first, the semi-disposable carto approach is probably best.

I'm increasingly convinced that super-cleaned CE2 R4s are the best option, especially XLs. My only hesitation is introducing a filling syringe into the mix. That might make an older person feel uncomfortable. I mean, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
I think that is why people generally recommend something good, cigarette like but cheap, 510 or kr808d1. It is a good transition and they have money left to upgrade. If the person seems committed but has limited funds and "has to" get it right the first time then something better is in order.

It does seem like a lot of people have to go through the two phases:
1 Start with the closest thing to 'imitation cigarette' (510 or even minis). Easy 'Indoctrination'.
2 Realize the battery life and weaker vapor cloud isn't cutting it and then accept an Ego.

Maybe the good news is that a 510 kit AND a Ego kit can be found for lower prices now. I suppose... if someones goal was to convert a smoker.... maybe its worth laying the trap with the 510 and when they starting wanting to abandon it for lack of power - pow! Unbox the Ego!

Now if they can ever perfect the miniaturization and cram the power of a 1300 'Ego' into something nearing a the shape and size of a slim stick... converts would become easy as pie!

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
So many newbies prefer the more cigarette-like form factors that I'd be hesitant to recommend an eGo or a mod, but it might be the best choice if she's not going to use it in public where she might be self-conscious.

I don't really understand that self-conscious part. So many people hate smoking. Some of them hate smokers too. It's better to look like you're doing something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread