Getting started. Your advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilljd

Apr 24, 2012
Cincinnati
It is time to quit smoking and electronic cigarettes seem like they might give me a better shot at it. Patches and gum didn't work for me. I've read through most of the threads for newb's, but thought I would ask directly for advice. Someone may have an experience similar to mine.

I've smoked a pack and a half to two packs a day for 46 years of my 60. Camel filters, then Camel Lights. Smoking is not social or fashion for me. It is addiction and nervious habit. Nicotine and CO rush.

Flavor doesn't appear to matter at this point.

No sense just dipping your toe in. What would you recommend as a good "industrial" starter kit for a heavy, long time smoker?

Jim S.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
It kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. You could jump right into a Provari, Reo, Vmod, GG, Buzz Pro, etc for the very top quality. For something more cost-effective, you could go with a Kgo, Riva or E-Power.

The thing about mods is that you need to know how to handle rechargeable batteries so you don't injure yourself. There will be a learning curve when it comes to nicotine strength, flavors and filling carts, cartos, tanks or whatever you finally settle on for your daily vaping.

I started with an eGo and 24mg juice, Boge 2.0 cartomizers and moved up slightly to 1.5 ohm Resurrector cartomizers for a warm vape. It has kept me off the cigarettes, but the eGo is only 3.4v. I now use as Smoktech 18650 mod which is 3.7v with longer battery life and more vapor. I can go up to 6v on this if I want, and I might try that one day. The Smoktech 18650 mod is just an E-Power knock-off, but I got it cheap and it's made really well.

You are going to go through phases where you can't taste any e-liquid, you cough like crazy while your lungs clear themselves out, you're frustrated with filling cartos, you can't find a juice you like, you didn't stock up and you have nothing to vape. Just stick to it and you'll find your sweet spot. After that it's as easy as any routine. Just remember, when you get frustrated, you are probably saving your own life.

Unfortunately, there is no one right answer. Everyone is different and will like different things. You will find something you really like, and you'll have a new hobby.

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well, I would definitely not recommend starting with a mini-cig such as Greensmoke, Blu, and so on........ How about a ego-T? small tank reservoir, as far as I heard, pretty easy to use. Personally, I started with a Greensmoke and it only did the job for maybe 2-3 weeks. I moved on to a LavaTube. Great device but there is a little bit of a learning curve. If you like tinkering a little bit, maybe that's a way for you? It can be used with a tank setup (4 and 7 ml available) so even a heavy smoker, it will last you all day and then some. And the batteries will survive a whole day of heavy vaping. No matter what you get, get extra batteries. Most setups will only come with 1 or 2 batteries. You always want to have spares. And some juice, of course, various sample sizes in different flavors and maybe strenght. 24 mg should do the tick at this time, or even 18, that's where I started and it is what I still use after 20+ years of smoking Menthol Lights at 1-2 packs/day...... I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions here, everyone has a favorite device..................... Good luck on your smoke-free journey! :vapor:

bebowebb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Oklahoma, USA
Welcome to ECF!

If you are looking for a PV that is more like an analog cigarette in shape and size, look into the Volt from Smokeless Image.

The Volt Pro kit comes with two batteries (your choice of length, color, and auto/manual), a portable charging case (allows you to charge one battery at a time while you're on the go), and a package of cartos (you pick the flavor and nic strength).

It's an excellent start and it makes the transition from analogs to a PV very smooth. Helped me more than I ever imagined possible.

Now I use the larger Volt X2 1300 manuals with clearos.

I vape heavy during my 12 hour shifts overnight and I have yet to run a battery down. But I do have two just to be on the safe side ;)

They have a nice selection of juices or you can get blank cartos or clearos if you are wanting to find your own juices.

Simply can't go wrong with anything Volt!

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Start with the cheapest ego style kit you can find (ego, kgo, riva, epower) and a few stardusts. It's the best way to get into it with a reasonably small, cheap, portable unit you can stick in your pocket. If that works for you, then you can look into upgrading to something more versatile, which you'll probably just use at home.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
You'll need to assess some things. How much money are you willing to invest initially? Does the size of the device matter to you? (In general, larger devices perform better). How much time are you willing to invest in a learning curve? Do you enjoy tinkering, or are you more a "set it and forget it" kind of person.

The one thing that I would say as a blanket statement is, unless there is an overwhelming need to look like you're smoking, avoid anything that looks like a cigarette. Batteries with a capacity of less than about 650mah, have severe limitations imposed by physics that no manufacturer or fancy looking package can overcome. Fortunately, there is a large selection of devices with larger batteries, both sealed within the device, and separate (like a flashlight). When you hear someone refer to a "mod", they're talking about the latter, i.e., an e-cig that takes one or more separate rechargeable batteries.

The "mod" class of e-cigs are the best performing and most versatile types. Most come with a "510" connector, which refers to the threading pattern, so that any 510 cartomizer (cartridge) or other device will fit an e-cig with a 510 connector.

Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of your budget. Allocate funds for consumable extras like atomizers, cartomizers, batteries and e-juice. Once you have a device, your biggest expense will probably be the e-juice, unless you like to experiment with all the latest and greatest cartomizers and tanks, etc.

If you want an "Industrial" duty starter kit, you need something capable of putting out at least 3.7V for a sustained length of time. That means a battery with a min. of about 900-1100mah. Once you have that, it's a matter of what cartomizer, or other device, you put on the end of it.

If your budget for a device, including a charger, batteries and a couple months worth of supplies, is less than $100, look into something like a kGo or e-Power or Lavatube (sold under many different names). The Lavatube is a variable voltage device that will allow you to tailor your vapor more to your own tastes without having to use cartomizers of differing resistances.

For $100-200, the field opens up and includes some very high quality fixed voltage devices and a couple decent variable voltage ones. Contenders would include the Silver Bullet, GPV, GG for fixed voltage and the Vmax and BuzzPro for variable voltage.

Over $200, you're into the range of the Provari, Darwin and the best of the best fixed voltage devices like the Reo.

Every one of these devices would be more than adequate to put out some industrial grade vapor. The differences are in build quality, versatility and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I highly recommend a 3.7V eGo kit along with some eGo Mega dual coil cartos and/or Stardust clearomizers; fuss-free with great 'bakky free vaping. Also get some 24mg and 18mg joose.

I (2 PaD for 45 years) started with 24mg and within two weeks was down to 18mg; currently vaping 15mg.

Good luck with your new endeavor!
thumbsup.gif

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I too would suggest a small style automatic ecigarette, it will be much easier to transition, holding the same size and performing the same motions as a normal cigarette. I would suggest ordering the Volt 2xbattery kit from smokelessimage.com, you always want to have a spare in case one goes out of charge, you dont want to go back to the cigarettes while one is charging. Grab their PCC and you can carry it around instead of a pack of cigarettes.

heres a couple tips though

*never buy e-cigarettes from kiosks/mall/etc (generally speaking, most are ripoffs and perform poorly and wont help you quit)
*buy spare atomizers/cartomizers in case they break
*buy extra juice/e-liquid

you will maybe use 1-2ml e-liquid a day, so buy depending on that, I was a 2pack a day smoker and I vape 2-3ml a day. Also small amounts of different eliquid in different flavors is nice to start with =)

MDO1265

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
NJ
Stilljd... Welcome aboard !

Im fairly new to vaping as well...going on 4 months. I had the same question as did most of the people here. I tried all of the above setups that were recommended and they all work very well. For day to day vaping while on the go or otherwise, the Ego style kits with a Vision Clearomizer is what I have found to be the best " no muss no fuss " approach. The vision clearomizers are VERY easy to fill with juice and produce great flavor and vape volume. The Ego , Kgo , Riva, and E-power kits are all great. Since you come from smoking a pack and half a day, I would recommend getting a 1000 mah battery or larger. I personally use the Riva 1100 mah kit with Vision clearomizers , but if I was going to purchase another, I would go for the E-Power which delivers regulated power, meaning you will get the same voltage delivery during the charge of the battery vs a non regulated whereas the power of the battery diminishes as you use the battery thru the day.

At least thats what I have come to understand about them. One comment that sticks in my mind that someone said when i started... " just spend the 60 dollars and buy one so you can start the process. This WILL NOT be your last purchase " Its a safe bet that Everyone here has several kits that they have experimented with.... you will most likely do the same.

Best of luck and feel to PM anytime.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
I really have nothing to add to the post below but backups. The kits mentioned should come with two units, do not buy one that comes with only one. The "mods" come one by one. Although if you buy enough batteries for a mod you'll be set, I still think you should have some backup around for the unexpected.

Bolds are mine:

You'll need to assess some things. How much money are you willing to invest initially? Does the size of the device matter to you? (In general, larger devices perform better). How much time are you willing to invest in a learning curve? Do you enjoy tinkering, or are you more a "set it and forget it" kind of person.

The one thing that I would say as a blanket statement is, unless there is an overwhelming need to look like you're smoking, avoid anything that looks like a cigarette. Batteries with a capacity of less than about 650mah, have severe limitations imposed by physics that no manufacturer or fancy looking package can overcome. Fortunately, there is a large selection of devices with larger batteries, both sealed within the device, and separate (like a flashlight). When you hear someone refer to a "mod", they're talking about the latter, i.e., an e-cig that takes one or more separate rechargeable batteries.

The "mod" class of e-cigs are the best performing and most versatile types. Most come with a "510" connector, which refers to the threading pattern, so that any 510 cartomizer (cartridge) or other device will fit an e-cig with a 510 connector.

Beyond that, it's mostly a matter of your budget. Allocate funds for consumable extras like atomizers, cartomizers, batteries and e-juice. Once you have a device, your biggest expense will probably be the e-juice, unless you like to experiment with all the latest and greatest cartomizers and tanks, etc.

If you want an "Industrial" duty starter kit, you need something capable of putting out at least 3.7V for a sustained length of time. That means a battery with a min. of about 900-1100mah. Once you have that, it's a matter of what cartomizer, or other device, you put on the end of it.

If your budget for a device, including a charger, batteries and a couple months worth of supplies, is less than $100, look into something like a kGo or e-Power or Lavatube (sold under many different names). The Lavatube is a variable voltage device that will allow you to tailor your vapor more to your own tastes without having to use cartomizers of differing resistances.

For $100-200, the field opens up and includes some very high quality fixed voltage devices and a couple decent variable voltage ones. Contenders would include the Silver Bullet, GPV, GG for fixed voltage and the Vmax and BuzzPro for variable voltage.

Over $200, you're into the range of the Provari, Darwin and the best of the best fixed voltage devices like the Reo.

Every one of these devices would be more than adequate to put out some industrial grade vapor. The differences are in build quality, versatility and aesthetics.

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
It is time to quit smoking and electronic cigarettes seem like they might give me a better shot at it. Patches and gum didn't work for me. I've read through most of the threads for newb's, but thought I would ask directly for advice. Someone may have an experience similar to mine.

I've smoked a pack and a half to two packs a day for 46 years of my 60. Camel filters, then Camel Lights. Smoking is not social or fashion for me. It is addiction and nervious habit. Nicotine and CO rush.

Flavor doesn't appear to matter at this point.

No sense just dipping your toe in. What would you recommend as a good "industrial" starter kit for a heavy, long time smoker?

Jim S.

Dont waste your time and money, start right up with a Provari VV mod. Use SR Joye atomizers. For juice I love Innovapors Ultrapure unflavored 36mg nicotine for that nic craving...

Chris97b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Houston
I would definitely add to the Ego-style recommendations personally. The 510 is a well loved and very available connection, which seems to suit most people quite well. The battery life is fairly good for an entry level device as well, without breaking the bank.

It also will handle many different styles of atty/carto and gives you quite a few options to find what works best (Std attys, LR attys, the myriad of 510 cartos, and can even work well with a tank mod).

As far as Nic content, I just started with a few 10ml bottles of everything from 6mg to 26mg and experimented to see what worked best. I finally settled into 12mg for regular use, with 24mg around for when I really need the extra kick (I was a 2pad+ smoker).

I don't know how much you are wanting a PV which looks like an analog, but honestly most people I have known who switched to vaping moved past that *very* quickly. They also have more limited options in terms of what you can use with them (smaller batteries typically lack the power to perform well with LR attys and cartos).

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
No. It's more confusing. "Vision clearomizers" probably refers to clear cartomizers made by Vision. There's a ton of different ones meeting this criterion. If you ask for a Vision clearomizer, no one will know exactly what you mean. Here's a small sample:

vision-clearomizer-.jpg

"Stardust" is a name for the "CE4+ Ego" Vision cartomizer/clearomizer. This, by the way, is completely different from the "CE4 Ego" Vision clearomizer.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Dont waste your time and money, start right up with a Provari VV mod. Use SR Joye atomizers. For juice I love Innovapors Ultrapure unflavored 36mg nicotine for that nic craving...

Yeah, get a Provari. Everything else is a just a waste of time and money. Pity all us poor vapers. Hundreds of thousands of us, just wasting our time and money. If we had only known....:rolleyes:

A Provari may be a fine choice as a starter for some people. It will certainly do the job, as will dozens of other models. If you are interested or willing to learn some of the finer points about the principles behind e-cigs, by all means go for it. If you value the knowledge that you have the best of the best, despite whether it makes any practical difference in your vaping experience, get a Provari. Or save a some money for juice and and get the equally capable BuzzPro or Vmax. With some learning curve, you'll be able to take full advantage of a variable voltage mod's capabilities and you will appreciate what they can do.

In the real world, the biggest factor that will have the biggest effect, once you have a decent e-cig, is the juice. So, if you don't have unlimited funds, it's better to spend the extra $50-100 on juice than it is to buy the latest, greatest PV right off the bat. Juice will be the biggest expense in the long run and you'll likely spend as much on finding the right juice as you did on buying your e-cig in the first place.

If you just want a good solid starter to get yourself off cigarettes, there are other perfectly good options that are, by no means, a waste of time or money.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
No. It's more confusing. "Vision clearomizers" probably refers to clear cartomizers made by Vision. There's a ton of different ones meeting this criterion. If you ask for a Vision clearomizer, no one will know exactly what you mean. Here's a small sample:

"Stardust" is a name for the "CE4+ Ego" Vision cartomizer/clearomizer. This, by the way, is completely different from the "CE4 Ego" Vision clearomizer.

Which all makes a fairly good argument for picking up a pack of Boge 2.5ohm cartomizers.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I would suggest something from the ego/kgo/riva group,( or the e-power), with a battery 900-1100 mah and dual coil cartomizers as a first kit. That way you can give it a chance and feel more certain that vaping is going to work for you, before spending the larger amounts needed for the bigger mods. The ones in this group all produce well, and once you've gotten used to it, it's easy to branch out to trying clearomizers or tanks.

Good luck on your journey!

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario

View attachment 95834

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have said look for the ones with the lines on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread