Getting the Prodigy through airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldPax

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Considering the number of people so far that have assumed it's an electric screwdriver, I'd just say it's an electric screwdriver.

Lying about it and/or attempting to disguise it can only cause you more problems. Pretty sure that screwdrivers are not allowed anyway, they are the second-most dangerous improvised weapon next to nailclippers. gasp! Actually, you can do a lot of damage with a SD.

rinkusu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2009
Seattle, Washington
I flew from Seattle to San Francisco and also from Sacramento to Seattle, earlier this month. The first flight I grouped my e-liquid in 15ml bottles in a ziplock bag and placed it in my carry-on. I kept the Prodigy in my carry-on. No said a thing.

On the second flight, I actually placed the Prodigy in the bin to see what the TSA folks would do. They did pull it out of the bin and visually inspect it. I said to them, "Oh that's just my nicotine inhaler- like one of those electronic cigarettes used to help me quit smoking". They guy smiled in apparent understanding and placed the Prodigy back in the bin, letting it through.

I also vaped on both flights, discretely. I simply held in the vapor for 8-10 seconds on each inhale. There was of course no vapor production and no one was the wiser.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I wouldn't trust it in checked luggage. If I were you, I'd print out a fact sheet about e-cigs, maybe about the Prodigy in particular, and carry it with me. When asked about it, which you surely will be, simply whip that out and explain its use. (Hint: Maybe Casey or some other creative supporter could draft up something like this for the cause?) Offer to leave it with them (bring several copies). You can print out the list of prohibited items and argue that the device does not fit any category. Bring a sturdy, self-addressed, postage-paid envelope with you in case all else fails and you have to send it home (and have your chosen backup with you, of course). Worse comes to worse, you'll be stuck vaping a substitute (like nonfat milk to heavy cream), or, God forbid, smoking until you can make it home. My prayers are with you!

Thank you, Cheryl, for your advice and good wishes! I don't think I'll "argue" with them, but I will bring that printed information and self-addressed, postage-paid envelope. [Actually, I may just bring some stamps instead of the postage-page part. Hopefully, I won't need to use that envelope ... and I hate to waste money.]

You are so cute. And this would be funny if it weren't so damned sad, and serious.

When I previewed my post, some of those words jumped out at me and I imagined how it all would look out of context. That's why I stuck in that paragraph. But that "Thank you" at the end was intended to give it all a tongue in cheek twist.;)

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
... On the second flight, I actually placed the Prodigy in the bin to see what the TSA folks would do. They did pull it out of the bin and visually inspect it. I said to them, "Oh that's just my nicotine inhaler- like one of those electronic cigarettes used to help me quit smoking". They guy smiled in apparent understanding and placed the Prodigy back in the bin, letting it through....

Rinkusu, was your Prodigy fully assembled with betteries and atomizer and all? There was advice on a different thread to keep it disassembled when going through security.

windex

Jun 26, 2009
WI, USA
I may be and most probably am mistaken, but it was my understanding that the majority of those "public servants" were just rent-a-losers that switched over. Source: Former head of security for Tulsa International Airport. My concealed carry instructor was an Air Marshall, and he didn't have a high opinion of them either. Don't even get me started on my personal experiences with a certain fat-useless customs agent at TUL. I swear he was so fat he couldn't reach his gun to draw it, I could outrun him walking on my hands.

Back on topic: If it were me, I'd throw it in my carry-on and not worry about it. It's not on the list of prohibited items. If they give you flak, ask for a supervisor.

I'm not disagreeing. :) However, they have a very high sense of (in some cases false) authority because they can very nearly do no wrong to get themselves fired. That was my original point.

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
It was indeed fully assembled.

It probably depends on the airline. I posted this in a different thread, but it is probably more relevant here:

Air Canada is now officially banning electronic cigarettes as carry-on item. The ecigs have to be in your check in luggage:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canadian-members/28853-flying-ecig-air-canada.html

From Air Canada site (scroll down to "Prohibited Items"):

aircanada.com - Travel Info - Carry On Baggage

I don't think it will take long for other airlines to follow.

"Captain, I am holding a personal veporizer in my hands. If you don't change the course from Toronto to Montreal, I'll vape!"

rheobase

May 26, 2009
NC, USA
I have carried the Prodigy on two domestic flights so far, both times in my carry-on, and disassembled. The atomizer and battery components went into my laptop bag with my pens and laser pointer, the liquid went into the plastic bag containing my other liquids (aftershave, toothpaste, etc.). Neither time did I get any response from the TSA people. Airports were located in NC, NY (LaGuardia), and Boston (Logan).

I think the TSA are not examining the contents of carry-ons with the specificity that one might assume. A lot of people (including me) carry devices in their carry-ons that look "unusual" on an x-ray (e.g., medical stuff), and they don't seem to bother at all. With respect to the liquid, consider the number of cosmetics and medically prescribed liquids that people carry-on. To flag and separately screen anything that looks "abnormal" would be a huge waste of time, and they're not really equipped to deal with or informed about everything out there. I think they're looking for specific things based on input from the DHS.

Of course, that's not to say that you won't have some problems at a particular airport with a particular TSA agent, but my experience is that e-cigs in general, including the Prodigy, don't get a second look when they are disassembled. If you are questioned, simply tell the truth: it's a nicotine inhaler. They are (currently) legal devices in the states, so there's no need to hide or obscure its intended purpose. The TSA have much bigger fish to fry than atomizers, batteries, and e-liquid.

rinkusu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2009
Seattle, Washington
It probably depends on the airline. I posted this in a different thread, but it is probably more relevant here:

Air Canada is now officially banning electronic cigarettes as carry-on item. The ecigs have to be in your check in luggage:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canadian-members/28853-flying-ecig-air-canada.html

From Air Canada site (scroll down to "Prohibited Items"):

aircanada.com - Travel Info - Carry On Baggage

I don't think it will take long for other airlines to follow.

"Captain, I am holding a personal veporizer in my hands. If you don't change the course from Toronto to Montreal, I'll vape!"

Good to know. It would probably be prudent to disassemble the Prodigy / place it in luggage going forward, at least until there is some kind of official regulation for ecigs / vaporizers. If not, one should at least check and see if their airline already has some kind of regulation in play, as with the above.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
I flew out of Atlanta a few weeks ago with EVERYTHING in my carry on. Yes, it went thru, went back, went thru again and back again until I got a puzzled look from the TSA guy and he said...What is this? I just said "electronic cigs"! He asked me if I knew what they looked like and passed it on. They did open my bag and look but everything was fine. To my knowledge, it isn't an item on any list that is not allowed on the plane.
I also did vape on the plane, sorta secretely! I blew it into my shirt or kept the vape in until it was gone. Could have gone to the restroom but decided to try it in my seat.
The trip home I packed most of my stuff in my checked luggage. Although I did pack a few item in my carry on, nobody even batted an eye this time.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
I plan to fly cross-country in a couple weeks, and would love to bring my Prodigy along. However, it is bound to arouse much more suspicion than my traditional pen-styles or minis would. Any suggestions on what to tell the TSA people? I would be willing to say it's a "personal pleasure device" and leave it to their imaginations, if that's what it'd take.

~~Cheryl :evil:

Haha, you know I just flew literally across the whole country. I will tell you my first encounter with TSA and the prodigy.

Bag 1 comes through x-ray followed by the bin with all my stuff in it...wallet, phone, computer, prodigy, etc etc...

The guy stops on the bin, and looks at the x-ray again.

He runs the bin all the way through, and i think, "oh good i am in the clear.

Little did i know he just ran it the rest of the way through so he could look at it with his eyes.

He picked it up, and literally mouthed the words "What the Fu#$", i then jumped in and said "its an electronic cigarette. He asked how it worked, i explained, he tested it on his machine, handed it to me, and i went on my marry way.

So, it was funny, but it got through.

Gibby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread