Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
I ran into another vaping friend of mine this morning, and let him puff on my carto'ed afs.

"Holy crud!", he cried, "that's the best vape i've ever tried!" He also went on to marvel at the ggts underneath it, stating that he admired it's mechanical switch, solid construction, versatility and aluminum and brass construction. He then told me about his nice all aluminum mod, and how he had to clean and noalox it every other day. (Not wanting to talk crud, I won't say what it is.) Being generous with sharing my toys, he's also tried almost every other mod I've had my hands on.

He believed the aluminum and brass design helped keep oxidation, and thus maintenance to maintain electrical conductivity, to a minimum.

The ggts/afs is going to be his next mod purchase because he wants to keep vaping-no matter what-instead of smoking. To that end, he thinks the GGTS/AFS looks like a good investment, despite its relatively higher price.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Well, the real gg greeks-I mean geeks-have modified the brass piece of their afs's to take 510 cartos. Imeo states that he is busy working on a new brass piece that will allow their use without drilling for 18 euros, roughly 22.00 american.

Not a bad price for a custom made brass piece, and anything that enhances the versatility of this mod is a good thing. Choice is always good.

But I don't know if I'll be the first or second, or third on the bandwagon. I've already got my 808 carto, eleven spares, and my pawnshop dremel to easily convert them. Considering that I'm already content with the 808's there's just not much an incentive for now to switch. Especially since VK is cutting the price of them.

Maybe once I'm down to my last couple of kr808's I'll read and see what the pioneers are reporting about the 510's.* If the 510's are the same price and have better vape, longer life or something spectacular, I'll consider it. Until then, I'll just vape, watch and wait.

*I'm a fourth generation Okie, my great grandparents were pioneers on the prairie. I've heard their stories being passed down, and have a decent idea of what their way of life was like. My conclusion is that I don't want to be a pioneer unless I absolutely friggin' have to.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Even with a dremel, putting a hole in the side of a carto is a little harder than it looks.

My solution was to take a grinding wheel and make a little groove in the side where I wanted the hole. Drilling only took a second after that.

I'm also pondering whether or not it's necessary to remove the plastic cover and unusually tenacious chinese glue from the cart. I'm thinking the glue may be so strong that it will hold the plastic in place which should stop any seepage of juice and/or glue.

May have to try it out, and it would save a step or two in getting cartos ready for the afs. May have to try it with some bland, least favorite juice so I can taste if there's anything fishy about it and not feel bad for dumping 6 ml if I have to.

I'm also following imeo's suggestion and putting the hole at 6mm to hopefully get all the juice from the tank. I also suspect the carto mod is forgiving enough to make a minor variation in hole size or placement irrelevant. Soon as I pop carto #2, I'll try my altered version.

Last edited:

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just for a lark, I decided to take the carto I drilled myself and try it on the AFS when my juice tank got low.

I encountered a problem similar to stromynights on the gg board...after drilling, she somehow warped the threads on the carto during drilling. Not thinking anything of it, I used a little elbow power to force it on the brass piece.

And now I have a full tank of juice and no vape right before it's time to go to work. Just as well, I need to spend some time with one of my other vapes.

It's not the end of the world. Others have reported sacrificing a few cartos to get the drilling down just right. I've still 3 cartos my neighbor made for me with his drill press, and a package and a half of cartos for me to experiment on. Now it's just the simple matter of finding the time and the energy.

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I encountered a problem similar to stromynights on the gg board...after drilling, she somehow warped the threads on the carto during drilling.

I just learned this morning that I had the same problem Clyde... of course you know I'm using a nail and a hammer :D until I get my paycheck to buy an appropriate bit.

When you drill, are you using excess pressure to warp the threads?

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
I just learned this morning that I had the same problem Clyde... of course you know I'm using a nail and a hammer :D until I get my paycheck to buy an appropriate bit.

When you drill, are you using excess pressure to warp the threads?

Obviously, I am. :oops:

I'm going to try the cutting tool first next time to carve a bit of a notch in before I start drilling.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Got a little off time this morning, and decided to dump the juice and start again. Just for a lark, I attached the carto to the GGTS sans AFS, and it fired instantly. Apparently, I had not sufficiently screwed it into the AFS's brass base. :oops:

I reassembled it onto the AFS (making sure to test it before I inserted the brass piece into the tank) and it's working! We have vape on the first carto! :vapor: :thumbs:

Considering the pioneers of this method admitted that it took them a few tries to get it right, I feel pretty darned good nailing it (not literally, waffle) on the first try. It also reinforces the validity of the groove, then drill method of making the hole with a basic dremel (i.e., using a dremel's cutting wheel to put a groove in the side of the carto to make drilling easier).

I also left the plastic cover and adhensive on the carto to see if removing it is unnecessary. So far, aside from the 555 juice in the carto not mixing well with my blue bull juice in the tank :nah:, I can't taste anything off kilter.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
While my 3v cr123's were charging, I threw on some 3.7's to try some UHV vaping in my cartoed AFS.

Just as reported by others, the mod will handle the current, and it blows out ultra thick clouds of vape. Unfortunately, taste suffers.

I'm also wondering about the sales of this mod. Unlike the GGTS's, Slims and Super Slims, the AFS is always in stock on Vapor King's website. The price is even lowered (as are the other items) due to the euro's drop in value. The ability to have a dependable self juicing device on your favorite 901 mod should make this a crowd pleaser; they're sold out in the european supplier's site. Either Imeo sent a whole frakkin' bunch of them to the States, or there might be a sort of backlash against GG products.

Imeo reports in his forum that he's at work making some last minute tweaks and changes to his Automatic Feed System for the GG Telescopic System, the GGTS-AFS, as well as to the GGTS itself. Hopefully, these will start making their way out of Greece to foreign shores by the end of the month.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Friend of mine bought some clove juice from vaporrenu, and he didn't like it. Thought it was too strong. Way too strong for him, matter of fact.

I loved clove analogs back in the day. Adored them. The only things I didn't like about them were a) they're propensity to pop and burn holes in my dress clothes, b) their price, and c) everyone wanting to come up and ask to bum one or trade me a generic cig for a clove.

I was a strong advocate of the smoker's code: the unwritten rule that you always helped out a fellow smoker in need, unless it was your last cigarette. Cloves were an exception, since they were so expensive and relatively hard to buy. You had to be an exceptionally good friend or a really cute girl to get a clove off of me.

I was thinking that the intensely strong clove flavor could stand up to the 7.2v's tendency to torch juice. Lo and behold, I was right.

Oh mah gawd, the afs vapes like a coal fired power plant at 7.2v! Besides the scorching of lesser juices, the downside is the pathetic battery life of the cr123's compared to 18650's. And it's making 3.7 vaping on a 18650 not quite as satisfying as it used to be. :(

Think I'll have to top off my tank with a little vanilla to see if I can replicate my favorite vanilla clove analog, now no longer for sale.

May also get with imeo to see how much his special sleeve costs that allows for two 18650s to be used for all day UHV vaping.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for the link. But I decided to go with the imr (or high drain) version of the cr123a. I love my aw imr 18650s so much, that I decided to give them a try.

I also saw the video imeo just put on the afs for the ggts. I'm curious to see how it will compare in practice to the all mods model.

They both use the same basic design, and theoretically should work the same. But I'm guessing that the ggts version should be an improvement since it was designed and built after the all mods variant. We'll see.

It's about time to put away the magic flute for a while and give some lovin' to one of my other mods.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
Just for the hell of it, I decided to put two 3.7v IMR (high drain) cr123a's (now referred to as the 16340) in my cartoed afs, and geez, the thickness and volume of the vape is intense!

It does tend to scorch lighter and sweeter juices, but does very well with tobacco flavored ones. I'm catching myself vaping it like a cigar due to the nature of the vape along with the size and shape of the mod.

But something is not exactly right. Can anyone suggest a good cigar flavored e juice? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread