going crazy, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

exil3

Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles
hey ya'll...im at wits end with these cartos. I've watched every youtube video and searched every last inch of this planet but still need help:oops:

I started vaping 4 months ago with the BCC mega on a Vapage 1300mah twist (uturn). No problems, enjoyed Fuzion Vapor juices with the occasional burnt hit, swapped out coils and was fine.

I recently purchased a Provari and a few Kir Fanis and IBtanks with the hopes of taking it up a notch. To make a long story short, in two weeks I've probably wasted 50ml of my fav juice and 15 cartos.

Here's my problem. It doesn't matter what priming method I use or how many holes I punch I always get burnt hits, always! I started with the standard pre-punched single hole, then 2 holes, then I punched an extra, and finally 4 holes tonight lol. It doesn't matter what tank I use or if its Boge or Smok I always get the same burnt results. They never flood what-so-ever, in fact the fluid never gets drawn in the carto, even with 4 holes. When vaping its always super airy and no air bubbles come out of the feeder holes, ever. I even thought the O-rings were bad so I swapped those out too. I cant imagine im priming incorrectly, it seems straight forward. I've tried everything from condom to syringe to drip, it always gets super saturated to the point where juice comes out of the holes. I've tried vaping immediately after prime and I've also tried waiting 2 hours. I don't know what im doing wrong. There has to be something fundamentally I'm forgetting to do. All I do know is im wasting a ton of money trying to figure it out.

65/35
Boge LR 2.2ohm - 4-4.2v
Smok LR 1.9ohm - 3.8-3.9v

I've read that Provari recommends SR, would that be my problem?? Would it make that big of a difference?

Trixxxi

Jun 3, 2013
Tempe, AZ, USA
I had this same issue too. I didn't like the cartos because they were too airy, and didn't hit well. It took us a while to figure this out.

This is what I do:

Drop 20 - 30 drops in the top of the carto SLOWLY. Take a couple minutes to do this.
Put the carto in the tank, fill her up well past the hole.
Put everything together like you're ready to go.

This is the important part:
Now suck. DO NOT TURN IT ON. Just suck. You have to create a vacuum in the tank. You will see air bubbles come up. Keep sucking until there are no more air bubbles.
Now smoke.

Hope this helps.

exil3

Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey Trixxxi! Thanks for the quick reply. Before I stick the assembled tank on the Provari I always put it in the palm of my hand, cut off air flow from the bottom and suck (dry hit) a few times to get the draw going. This is the only time I see bubbles. I do it a few times, it floods a little and I blow it out. Once I start vaping no more bubbles and burnt taste. I think you recommended to put it on the mod and dry hit until no more bubbles? I totally get the whole vacuum thing, maybe I was doing it wrong. Approx how many dry pulls do you have to do?

Last edited:

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I use the carto method. It's going to look like it's full but it's not. Shake it really hard- give it a thermometer shake to sort of force the liquid to the bottom of the carto. After I do that and it sits for a bit I fill from the top using a needle nose bottle top to get in-between the filler material. Again shake.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Hey Trixxxi! Thanks for the quick reply. Before I stick the assembled tank on the Provari I always put it in the palm of my hand, cut off air flow from the bottom and suck (dry hit) a few times to get the draw going. This is the only time I see bubbles. I do it a few times, it floods a little and I blow it out. Once I start vaping no more bubbles and burnt taste. I think you recommended to put it on the mod and dry hit until no more bubbles? I totally get the whole vacuum thing, maybe I was doing it wrong. Approx how many dry pulls do you have to do?

Why do you do that? I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
What I do..and I never have any trouble with burnt hits with my tanks is to fill as suggested, dripping slow. Or better yet with a sharp tip needle and syringe. Condom is fine, too. No need to get it so wet it gets into the center tube, but if you do, lightly blow out into a tissue or back into the bottle. Put the carto in the tank then turn the tank/carto over and drop about 5 to 10 drops one by one into the hole in the bottom of the carto..letting each drop absorb in. Wipe down the threads. Next screw down the tank/carto on the device and use a SYM or tank filler drip tip and slide the tank up until you can get your juice tip or needle into the tank and fill. Fill as much as desired, being sure the holes are covered with juice. Slide the tank back down, remove the filler tip tool and put on your drip tip. Take a couple of good strong hits WITHOUT firing. When you see bubbles coming out of the holes, hit it again without firing. Third time ought to be the charm. Then vape. Works every time for me. Been using tanks for going on 2 years now.

edit: the bubbles will come out of the holes when you pause to take another breath...not while you are actually hitting.

Last edited:

exil3

Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Why do you do that? I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

You all rock! Lol, this is totally what I needed because following the advise of my local shop was obviously a bad move! So if I understand correctly I should drip prime & shake mult times then get it on the mod and dry pull until no more bubbles to get vacuum. Since I'm not condom filling there won't be anything to blow out thus not giving me that burnt love??

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I use a blunt syringe to prime my XL cartos before inserting them into the tank. I pull ~1.5 ml into the syringe from the bottle, insert the needle carefully into the carto between the filler and the outer wall, and then inject ~.5ml of the liquid into the carto at 3 different positions (12:00; 4:00; 8:00). This distributes the liquid evenly throughout the filler material. After that, I give it the "thermometer shake" until a bit of liquid is seeping out of the feed holes on the carto, and then I know it's saturated enough to avoid burnt its.

When I fill the tank, I usually see just a few bubble coming up from the feed holes in the carto, which is normal. I've used this method for over a year now, and so far I haven't had any issues with dry/burnt hits. Hope this helps.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
You're goal is to get that cartomizer saturated with liquid on first fill. Once it's burnt it's toast. Check it before you put it in the tank so you don't fill it up for nothing.

If you ever used a clear cartomizer (not sure they're out anymore) you can see that even when the cartomizer looks full, there are little dry pockets. Once the coils singe the filler material you get that burnt taste.

I roll it back and for a bit to distribute the liquid. It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's really simple. I'd get a syringe like someone mentioned or a bottle with a needle top.

Too much it better than not enough. If it's over-filled just get a q-tip and dab the top of the cartomizer.

Amberina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I also use carto-tanks and I agree with all of the information that everyone has given you. When I first started I also had a terrible burnt taste. Now after I prime my carto, I simply shake it down and take a few dry hits. Then I top it off with a few more drops and I am good to go! I have not had any problems with the burnt taste since I started doing this. Also I use pre-punched cartos with one hole. They work great for me.
Good luck!!!!

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Hi Exil3! In another thread, the Ocelot (Provarianti Princess) linked me her method of priming cartos. You may want to give this a try....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-method-carto-filling-k-backwards-condom.html

Oh...and the guys tell me that pre-punched is much easier on your O-Rings since the punch holes are smooth and not potentially jagged from punching...

Oh....and that a Slap Yo Mama tool is a must have gadget.....A PBusardo Review - Slap Yo Mama Multi-Purpose Adapter - Big Daddy Vapor - YouTube

Last edited:

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
I use Boges and I find that even though I blow them out first, there is a terrible tasting 'primer'.

I think that needs to be 'burned off' first. Here's how I do it...

After I am sure that the fill is saturated, I let it sit for 15 minutes or so. I then 'fire it'. Mouth drawing slowly and completely, immediately blowing it out four or five times in a row. I then let it sit for 5 minutes or so. I repeat this about six to eight times.

After that, the bad taste it gone and it works great, lasts a long time too, long as you don't try to run dark colored juices through them, just clogs them up. I get at least 50 mils through them without issue. Good luck and have fun!

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Hi Exil3! In another thread, the Ocelot (Provarianti Princess) linked me her method of priming cartos. You may want to give this a try....http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-method-carto-filling-k-backwards-condom.html

Oh...and the guys tell me that pre-punched is much easier on your O-Rings since the punch holes are smooth and not potentially jagged from punching...

Oh....and that a Slap Yo Mama tool is a must have gadget.....A PBusardo Review - Slap Yo Mama Multi-Purpose Adapter - Big Daddy Vapor - YouTube

What are we, chopped liver? :mad:

I'm just kidding! :laugh: That is a great explanation and the visuals help it all make sense. Thanks for posting it! Ocelot did a fabulous job.

exil3

Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I use Boges and I find that even though I blow them out first, there is a terrible tasting 'primer'.

I think that needs to be 'burned off' first. Here's how I do it...

After I am sure that the fill is saturated, I let it sit for 15 minutes or so. I then 'fire it'. Mouth drawing slowly and completely, immediately blowing it out four or five times in a row. I then let it sit for 5 minutes or so. I repeat this about six to eight times.

After that, the bad taste it gone and it works great, lasts a long time too, long as you don't try to run dark colored juices through them, just clogs them up. I get at least 50 mils through them without issue. Good luck and have fun!

You blow out a brand new carto before priming? They come with some sort of fill???

exil3

Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles

Gonna check this all out right now thnx! Btw I already have slap momma tool. In fact I have everything from needle top bottles to syringes to Kir Fanis carto punch. This is why I'm tripped out, cause I thought I covered all basis. Thanks to you guys/gals I'll finally be on my way soon :) anxiety behind me lol

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
There is no primer in cartomizers. Some clearo, tanks, atomizers have a primer- really nasty taste that needs to be cleaned out.

With a cartomizer- think of a tightly wound roll of paper towels or tp surrounding a coil that heats up. You have to saturate that roll of filler material. Thicker liquid takes longer to absorb.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
What are we, chopped liver? :mad:

I'm just kidding! :laugh: That is a great explanation and the visuals help it all make sense. Thanks for posting it! Ocelot did a fabulous job.

AWWWWwww NO! You are not chopped liver! :D

It's just that the Ocelot and Batitude give very logical and visual explantions...in fact the blogs overall are a great place for newbs (like me for example) to soak up information like a carto soaks up juice. :p

Yes, the Oceleot went to many lengths to document her method and it is most excellent!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread