The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Good Magazine Article about Vaping

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by bifff257, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bifff257

bifff257 Full Member ECF Veteran

Oct 13, 2009
    Florida
    • Like Like x 16
  2. pennysmalls

pennysmalls Squonkmeister Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Love that the author took quotes from Mitch Zeller and the AHA and made them look pro vaping!:lol:

Ok just finished, this is a good one. It looks at formaldehyde, PL and the gateway theory. It uses the CDC's own figures to disprove the gateway theory and dismisses the PL theory and makes the formaldehyde researchers look like doofus's. Me thinks this author is a vaper. ;)

• Like Like x 7
  3. rico942

rico942 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Note that the author uses the term "nicotine-infused", not the usual "nicotine-laced" with heavy negative connotations, that is typically seen in anti-vaping hit pieces ...

As soon as I saw this, I knew the article was worth reading through to the end ... :D

• Like Like x 3
  4. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Publisher's Letter as to why the article on page 9 is good.

• Like Like x 3
  5. nicnik

nicnik Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2015
    Illinois, USA
    Here it is:

• Like Like x 4
  6. LaraC

LaraC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 6, 2013
    Tennessee
    Excellent article. Thanks for posting the link, bifff257.
    I loved it that the article dealt extremely well with debunking soooooo many of the scare tactics anti-smoking groups have used against e-cigarettes over the past several years.

My one minor quibble with the article were several references to nicotine being addictive. Nicotine continues to get an undeserved bad rap because of its association with combustible cigarettes.

I wish the author could have delved deeper into what's known to date regarding the relative non-addictiveness of nicotine alone. One small example...Dr. Newhouse's research at Vanderbilt.

From Dr. Newhouse's study, using nicotine patches for six months:

Nicotine treatment of mild cognitive impairment: A 6-month double-blind pilot clinical trial

Nicotine treatment of mild cognitive impairment
    A 6-month double-blind pilot clinical trial
    P. Newhouse, MD et al

[A few excerpts:]

Methods:
    Nonsmoking subjects with amnestic MCI were randomized to transdermal nicotine (15 mg per day or placebo) for 6 months.

Discussion:
    There was no withdrawal syndrome and no subjects continued to use nicotine products.

To simplify dose-ranging only nonsmokers were tested.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Ferry Christian
    This message by Ferry Christian has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Jun 30, 2016.
    Jun 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.