Got my blood tested today, for lipid profile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LycanFury

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Croydon, Surrey, UK
Hi everyone,

I just got my blood tested for lipid profile, and guess what "lactate dehydrogenase" was quite high in blood, now I know VG gets broken down in lactate acid, so it is obivious it would be present in blood stream.
BTW, I DIY, most of my eliquid to a 50-50 blend. PG/VG.

I know, we all here are not doctors, but i thought i shall put it here, lets see if some doctors have joined ecf they shall provide a look into this, i am going to meet my doc today, i shall ask him about this and if there are any side effects. Shall definately keep you guys posted.

LF

Very interesting indeed, I have a doctor friend of mine I will bring this up to tomorrow. I will let you know his thoughts on it, and even see if I can get him to join ECF... as he is now vaping! This might interest him quite deeply!

Thanks for the information, and wish you the best of luck at your doctor visit!

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Not a doctor......but nurses are better anyways, right?! ;)

Do you have any issues with gallstones or gallbladder problems? Liver enzymes ok? I ask because elevated lactate dehydrogenase can be due to these things. It can also be due to muscle damage and anemia. I don't know that VG breakdown would cause a massive elevation, but the doc will definitely look at other labs to see what the root cause is.

Good luck with the doctor visit tomorrow!

LycanFury

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Croydon, Surrey, UK
@NICnurse: no gallstone, no gallbladder problem. Liver enzymes did not get checked, but will get them done in a day or two.
The section for lactic acid was,

LACTATE DEHYDROGENASE 280 High 85 - 227 U/L

Test Method(s)
GLUCOSE, FASTING, PLASMA / URINEADA
2012 guidelines for adults as follows:
Pre-diabetics: 100 - 125 mg/dL
Diabetic: > or = 126 mg/dL

Its high, not that high or is it?

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
NOT a MD, but I am an RN. So here is my :2c:
LDH is not part of a lipid profile. Did the MD state to you why he wanted this test done?
What other tests were ordered? Are you an athlete? Excercise a lot or have physical strenuous work?
Have any recent falls, injuries or accidents? Been feeling sick, tired/lethagic, unexplained headaches or muscle pains? More info would be helpful.
As you probalbly already know, (went straight to the internet and researched a little, after you got your results, right?) LDH is an enzyme present in cells of the body. If your levels are elevated, it usually indicates that some tissues have been broken down and the enzymes are free in the blood stream (thats why they are present in an above average concenration).
The LDH levels can be increased for many different reasons: break down of muscle tissue, certain organs, and blood cells. Blood cells are very rich in LDH. LDH levels can be FALSELY elevated from the miss handling of your blood sample (ie the phlebotomist who drew your blood). Your levels are mildly elevated, and I would suspect that the elevated results probably came from damaged blood cells retalted to the blood draw.
However, definately follow up with your MD!!!
Some other tests that you might want to recommend are: Liver panel test (as previously mentioned by NICnurse), pancreatic enzyme test, a lactic acid level, and a LDH isoenzyme test.
Please let us know how things work out for you as I am very interested!!!
Good Luck, hope all will work out in your favor:)

Last edited:

LycanFury

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Croydon, Surrey, UK
Yes, The MD asked for these as my BP is quite high and he needed to be sure of the cholesterol levels. Thats a different story all together.

Since the ECHO and ECG were normal (LV wall is a little large), he wanted to see where else is the problem. So he asked me to get the lipid profile, sugar test fasting and after that, urine test for the nitrates levels, etc..

my triglycerides are high, so is LDL (the bad cholesterol) and HDL (good cholesterol) is low.

As far as the symptoms go, not feeling sick, lil lethargic (i thought it was because of my BP). same for the unexplained headaches.

i checked you were right LDH is not part of the lipid profile, it was part of the Liver Function Profile Serum. Other tests done were, URINALYSIS, LIVER FUNCTION PROFILE SERUM, BLOOD UREA NITROGEN, CREATININE.

Enough with me, not diverting from the issue of LDH discussion here,

Thank you guys for all the ideas, and support. I really appreciate. Shall keep you posted with the updates.

LF

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
Lycan,
Didn't mean to have you air out your personal history here.......this is definately not the place for that!! LOL,
My point is/was, that your elevated LDH test can be caused by many different things and not having a health history, current medications, current supplements, life style choices ect........ would be hard to pin point causes!!!........your MD will take care of all that.
Just wanted you to know that the mishandling of your blood sample or tramatic venipuncture could and likely is the cause of the elevated LDH test (if all things considered, you are in your normal state of good health) again, I am not familiar with your health history.
Best of Luck my frined, and keep us posted!!

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
My doc said, not to worry about it, everything :) man I am happy and relieved. I asked him about any side effects, he said just muscle pain at times, same you get after working out for first few days.
He asked me to drink a lot of water, and keep tension at bay.

Cheers!
LF

Glad to hear Lycan!!! That is great news!!

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Glad you got good news!! I like hearing happy endings in these situations! :)

@ Tankman......I was thinking same thing, possible hemolysis of the sample. I hate when I milk a line that is really not wanting to draw only to get funky values back due to hemolysis. Hate poking patients if I don't have to.....err.......wait, I actually love to poke needles in people, I just hate the dirty looks I get from the patient and or their family. :)

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
I just got my blood tested for lipid profile, and guess what "lactate dehydrogenase" was quite high in blood, now I know VG gets broken down in lactate acid, so it is obivious it would be present in blood stream.

FWIW, I believe it's PG that metabolizes into lactic acid, not VG Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Toxicity: What is Propylene Glycol | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM It's part of why I vape low/no PG juice; I generate enough lactic acid working out.

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
Glad you got good news!! I like hearing happy endings in these situations! :)

@ Tankman......I was thinking same thing, possible hemolysis of the sample. I hate when I milk a line that is really not wanting to draw only to get funky values back due to hemolysis. Hate poking patients if I don't have to.....err.......wait, I actually love to poke needles in people, I just hate the dirty looks I get from the patient and or their family. :)

LOL
I know what you mean. A day in the life........

Tanti

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
Hi everyone,

I know, we all here are not doctors, but i thought i shall put it here, lets see if some doctors have joined ecf they shall provide a look into this, i am going to meet my doc today, i shall ask him about this and if there are any side effects. Shall definately keep you guys posted.

LF

Safe sweetener
Glycerine is an alcohol (glycerol) and is used as a preservative in the food industry, as well as a sweetener: it is very sweet, yet it contains no sugar. This makes it an ideal sweetener for patients who cannot take sugar, such as the increasing number of Candida sufferers. Vegetable glycerine is said to be the "only acceptable sweetener" for Candida patients. Here are a couple of healthy recipes.

Sweet potato casserole

1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons 100% pure vegetable glycerin
2 teaspoon (alcohol free) orange flavouring
Ground cinnamon to taste
1/2 cup chopped or ground fresh walnuts
1/2 pound sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and quartered

Preheat oven to 175C. Place sweet potatoes in a greased 8-inch casserole. Put all other ingredients into a small bowl: mix. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes and bake 35 minutes, or until fork-tender.

Vanilla Pecan Icecream

3 eggs
2 tablespoons softened butter (optional)
1/2 cup food-grade glycerine
2 cups (unsweetened) soy or almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
2 cups cream, or 2 extra cups of soy or almond milk to lower the fat content
1/2 cup pecans (roast lightly in oven and cool before using)

Beat eggs and milk together in large saucepan on low heat. Stir constantly until thickened -- mixture should smoothly coat a spoon. Takes 5-10 minutes. Cool. Add glycerin, cream (or soy or almond milk), vanilla, salt, and pecans. Refrigerate overnight or longer. Process in icecream maker (or freeze). Add carob flour to make a chocolate version.

Health supplement
Health supplement for sportsmen -- Glycerine increases blood volume, enhances temperature regulation and improves exercise performance in the heat, or so it is claimed. It helps "hyperhydrate" the body by increasing blood volume levels and helping to delay dehydration. Following glycerol consumption, heart rate and body core temperature are lower during exercise in the heat, suggesting an ergogenic (performance enhancing) effect. In long duration activities, a larger supply of stored water may lead to a delay in dehydration and exhaustion. However, read the safety provisos.
http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/
supplement.asp?supplementId=152

Heart disease drug
"In one of the more curious coincidences of science, the first modern high explosive -- nitroglycerin -- also became one of the very first man-made drugs. To this day, it remains the most commonplace treatment for chronic angina, the chest pain of heart disease," writes cardiologist Esmond A. Barker, MD, in "Nitroglycerin is most frequent medication for chronic heart pain".
http://www.cardio.com/articles/nitrogly.htm
Nitroglycerin is a vasodilator -- it relaxes the blood vessels, reducing the pressure on the heart. There can be side-effects -- some patients get killer headaches, others low blood-pressure and dizziness -- and it can clash seriously with other drugs (see next). It comes in the form of tablets for under the tongue, ointment and skin patches -- and it cannot be turned into an explosive.
The dosages are low: the tablets contain a maximum of 0.6 mg nitroglycerin, the ointment is 2% nitroglycerin.
This may be because nitroglycerin isn't only a deadly explosive, it's also a deadly poison: the lethal dose is only 2 grams, but toxicity begins with a much smaller amount.

These are some medical and non-medical uses for VG. No where could I find that VG is unsafe internally.
I did look up "lactate dehydrogenase" and dont see that is caused by VG being in the system. But there are other drugs that can cause higher values in body. Drugs that can increase LDH measurements include anesthetics, aspirin, clofibrate, fluorides, mithramycin, narcotics, and procainamide. And there are health conditions that can raise LDH levels in the blood.

Vegetable Glycerin is Metabolized in the body like a carbohydrate. I dont believe this is the cause of your elevated test.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
This was interesting and I uses it's true it would be nice to know more and more about vaping consequences besides allergies. Or good ones like feeling better from recovering from smoke inhalation! This afternoon I thought I had gotten a little nicotine poisoning and thought it kinda strange because I didn't have a lot of time to vape and thought my juice was most likely in the 24 mg range. But I quit vaping to be safe and drank extra water ate a meal and threw it up. Stomach virus. So far as I've been reading and reading there isn't a whole got going on in the e juice stuff aside from sensitivities- allergies that's detrimental to our health. Same story, other things are actually worse, like smog, fumes from certain things so on and so forth. Love knowing there are some very medical people vaping and posting here on ECF. I'm sure you have to keep a low profile a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread