Got Pulled Over by a Cop This Morning for Vaping (And introduction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The cops that I have met at red lights don't seem to mind any of my mods with a 5 1/4" gooseneck on them and a DoD on top of the 5 1/4" gooseneck :) Heck I have even gone into bars with that setup it sure got a lot of people's interest and converted quite a few of them to vaping.
Holy crap, a 5" gooseneck and a DoD on top of it?
You're pretty much a walking billboard.
:)

faulkan

Verified Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I've gotten through 65 years using the philosophy that it is: "Always easier to ask for Forgiveness rather than Permission". ;)

That's been my philosophy ever since I joined the Air Force back in 1985. I'll do what I need to do to get the job done and deal with the consequences later.

Burly

Molon Labe
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Park Hills, MO, U.S.A.
I had a woman pass me on the interstate yesterday and when I noticed her, she was shaking her head. I was vaping when she passed so I assume she thinks I was doing something 'illicit'.

My girlfriend and I are the only ones in my town that vape to my knowledge. I sure get a lot of questions about it. :vapor:

Last edited:

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
I rarely vape and drive. Once in a while on a long trip, but not in town for sure. There are enough distractions on the road. But then again I wasn't one to smoke and drive either. The only time I have been bothered was when the first banned smoking in bars in Mi. I simply explained to the off duty cop that it wasn't smoke.

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
I rarely vape and drive. Once in a while on a long trip, but not in town for sure. There are enough distractions on the road. But then again I wasn't one to smoke and drive either. The only time I have been bothered was when the first banned smoking in bars in Mi. I simply explained to the off duty cop that it wasn't smoke.

You must be one of those 10:2 hand placement people that make me nervous by being so tense lol :) All good though im sure your a safe driver :glare:

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Great story!!!

In my business we deal with police officers alot. When I started vaping I asked one of them if they were aware of the PV's and Mods. He actually told me that they had a meeting on the different styles of ecigs out on the market so they wouldn't accidently mistake a PV for drug or drug paraphernalia and have any issues with citizens feeling they were being harrassed.

JYan

Verified Member
Jul 23, 2012
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
So about getting pulled over. About 7AM this morning I was only my way to hike with my dogs. I was vaping in the car when suddenly there is lights and sirens behind me. ....!!! Was I speeding? Did I "California Roll" at the stop sign? ....!

When I get an adrenaline rush, I shake like a leaf! I shake so hard it looks like have parkinsons - so of course I look shady as hell. He asked for my driver's license and registration and when he saw me shaking he asked why I was so nervous? I actually laughed and said, "Officer, you scared the bejezzus outta me! I'm not used to getting pulled over."

He stated the reason he pulled me over was that he saw me using some kid of "Drug pipe" and did I have drug paraphernalia in the car? Oh.. that! No no.. that's just an e-cigarette. It's just nicotine.

I showed him the device and he took it, looked it over and handed it back. We had another minute of polite conversation (I think while he waited for the dispatcher to come back that I didn't have any warrants, etc) then he said, "Ok, thanks for your cooperation and have a good day."

Nothing dramatic - but Whew! I hope that's not a regular occurrence for vaping in the car.

Glad the officer didn't "power trip" and try to take your vape away or accuse you of anything :)

Figgy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
California
I'm a total noob. I'm still waiting for my first PV to show up in my mailbox. I decided on an eGo Twist for my first battery partially because I was concerned a larger device might be misconstrued as something illegal. I've seen some gorgeous box mods and beautiful colored tanks and tips, but I figured it would be nice to have something small, subtle, and portable. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want a Provari or some other more fully featured APV in the near future if I turn out to enjoy this as much as most of the folks here do.

I have actually never noticed anyone vaping in a car with a more 'exotic' PV. I certainly had no idea there was such a variety in form factor until people posted some links in the Gizmodo review. I've had a few friends that tried the mass-market cigarette clones. None of them stuck with it, though (big surprise). I'd like to think that cops here in the SF Bay Area can tell the difference, but you never know. I know there is the reputation, largely true, that many police departments in our larger metros place a low priority on enforcing the laws on certain substances, but that is certainly not the case if you're driving.

I do wonder if cops may be more current on the vaping thing in places where cigarette smoking is more common and acceptable. California is pretty hardcore about tobacco smoking. Of course, as dry as our climate is, I would hope they would encourage anything that would stop people throwing butts out of car windows. We get a lot of grass fires along our roadways that way! There are house fires, forest fires, crashes when people drop a burning cigarette and freak out, or they toss one out and it lands in someone else's car. Not to mention just the litter and complaints smoking causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread