Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Colorado all they can do is call and ask is there re hireable they can't disclose anything further

Yes and having a company state you are not eligible for rehire (ESPECIALLY at a gas station) means you'll be hard pressed to get anyone else to hire you.

To be honest - what you've said in this thread tells me your not the kind of employee I'd ever want working for me, and I was in management.

Signs at the door, for your information, are for customers - NOT employees. As an employee when your at work you are a representative of the company you work for, and as such are under a completely different set of obligations and responsibilities than the customers, and under a completely different set of rules.

State law allows you to own and shoot firearms, but I'd lay money down that if you took your gun and ammo to work and set up some target practice for times when you were bored, you'd be fired.

State law has nothing to do with the rules of your employer, and following state law has nothing to do with keeping your job when you can't manage using common sense to conduct yourself.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Me, I'm in agreement with the OP here. There is no policy, there is no law and what they should have gotten was a "don't do it" from the boss. Being written up for a non existent policy that does not violate the law isn't acceptable, unless they were told beforehand it's not allowed.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Like I said I was never given a policy if there's no mention or I'm never handed rules how am I to know that's my stance

It doesn't matter it's common sense its not allowed in a retail workplace setting so you would at least ask permission if you have given it any thought at all.

As for your breaks - Lunch and Break Law Regulations in Colorado (CO) Explained | Labor Law Education Center: Learn About Labor Laws in Your State

That's all you've got to go to anyone with, if that is indeed true that your not getting breaks.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Me, I'm in agreement with the OP here. There is no policy, there is no law and what they should have gotten was a "don't do it" from the boss. Being written up for a non existent policy that does not violate the law isn't acceptable, unless they were told beforehand it's not allowed.

Well there is no law or policy regarding many things in the workplace. Does that mean it is ok to do? No depends on what it is

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Well there is no law or policy regarding many things in the workplace. Does that mean it is ok to do? No depends on what it is
It actually happened to me when I first started to Vape, no State nor company policy and my Boss just told me no so I stopped. No write up and was told no, company policy was changed later to state no Vaping.

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
That's all I want tho is a written rule can't break a policy if it don't exist regardless of personal opinion it's employers job to inform me of the do and donts

I accepted it and not pushing the issue but if my dm wants a meeting about it i can't help to be in the issue

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That's all I want tho is a written rule can't break a policy if it don't exist regardless of personal opinion it's employers job to inform me of the do and donts

I accepted it and not pushing the issue but if my dm wants a meeting about it i can't help to be in the issue

What I would do since it's a write up is to insure you put in writing that you should have been warned first since there is no law nor company policy. This way there is a paper trail and if they hold it against you at anytime you can go to L&I.

It's all about the paper trail ;)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It actually happened to me when I first started to Vape, no State nor company policy and my Boss just told me no so I stopped. No write up and was told no, company policy was changed later to state no Vaping.

I'm gonna take a gander and say a customer called corporate over him vaping.. that would explain a write up without a warning. Corporate would likely have been floored if a phone call complaint did indeed happen.. I'm sure they would see it as simple common sense not to.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@fifamymaingame , I do get your point, I think everyone does. I think the best you can probably do is ask the owners if they'd be willing to change your written warning to a verbal one, since you were never given the policy. I would also state that you never received your breaks, and request 2 15 minute vaping breaks, letting them know you understand they are just getting started as a
"new" company. Also, it's not the new owner's fault you weren't given a break by the former owners, you may want to point that out in a "We are all trying to work together here" fashion.

If you get fired, other employers know what can and cannot be said. It would be difficult to find a better job under that circumstance. In my state, they can't even say if they'd rehire or not, merely verify dates of employment, but having good references is important, period. I could still get great references from places I worked in High School. I am telling you, this matter IS important if you want to continue having the funds (to vape, but on your own time, not your employers).

I did not violate my employer's vaping policy once it appeared, I went outside to vape, just like I did to smoke.

The good news is that you still have a job, hopefully you can work some things out....

Best of luck, ,but approaching it angry is just not the way to go. Really. Honestly.

Anna

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I'm gonna take a gander and say a customer called corporate over him vaping.. that would explain a write up without a warning. Corporate would likely have been floored... seeing that as simple common sense not to.
Depends on where they were Vaping, if it's like at a cash register yes. But if it's in a break room, stock room, office, etc. I say no.

fifamymaingame

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2017
Colorado
The dm the one who caught me blow into my coils because my tank was flooded had ejuice all over my mod.

But yeah I'm not pushing the issue I'm just simply say I never seen the handbook nor did I not know it was company policy that I can't be at fault for that I was abiding by my state law and would like to see a policy staring

Idgad about my breaks tbh extra paid time all i wanna know is the owner or company policy and they haven't gotten me that hopefully when they do it has a date when the handbook or policy took effect and like to have a old and new version if possible to go over everything

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yes I get that but I'm not aware of one policy at all with this new company when they gave us the application they shoildhave gave us handbooks

Not every company has employee handbooks, and no handbook that I know of can literally have a comprehensive list of every single thing that someone might someday do that might be "against policy".

There is something called common sense and common courtesy and representing the company in an upstanding or appropriate manner that covers things not thought of..

This is what I'm trying to explain.. there is no legal requirement for an employer to tell you every single thing they don't want you to do or otherwise wouldn't find acceptable.

This is likely your first job but you REALLY need to learn how to conduct yourself at work appropriately without some kind of a list if your going to make it through this life..

You were warned - that's what a write up is for.. it's a warning that your behavior was unacceptable for the work place.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Common sense isn't law if that was the case 70% of the population would be in prison every work place had guidelines and policy I mean when uniforms change we get a memo when ingot hired at every job I ever been at there was a handbook and guide line so that I don't believe

And there is no law requiring your employer to keep you on as an employee if you have no common sense either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread