Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been around this old world for sometime - during which most of it I smoked. If you remember the days when you put a quarter in a cigarette machine and pulled the handle and out came your favorite pack of non filtered smokes with 3 pennies wrapped in the cellophane wrapper than you will know how long I've been around. (a pack of smokes was 22 cents and 3 cents was your change). Anyone could smoke anywhere and I sure didn't like it when all the 'you can't smoke here' stuff started. I conformed and am vaping now but still honoring what was forced on me by anti-smoking societal pressure. I'm looking forward to the days (should I live so long) when you trailblazing 'I can vape anywhere' people will force changes that will allow me to go to a restaurant and have my after meal vape..........ahhh so good - (kinda like the good ole days) without having to worry about being told to "put that out". My thanks to you brave ones.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I touched down at the Charlotte Airport last week and needed to make my connection - I was in concourse Z and the connecting flight was in concourse A - very far away to say the least.

As I was darting through the airport and applying my acrobatics to get around, avoid, and not run over anyone I was kinda stealth vaping as I rolled along toward concourse A hoping that my connecting flight was still there.

Dart, move, avoid, vape, dart, roll, move, avoid, vape. I don't think anyone noticed my vaping as they were probably more interested in my acrobatics....

Near my last vape I saw the gate and heard "last call for flight XXXX - I barely made it - but I did make it! NICE.

As I got on the plane I saw that my middle seat was occupied and said, sir you are sitting in my seat - he said, Why don't you take the isle so I can sit next to my wife.

I said that I was hoping that I could get the middle seat but that I would take the isle seat so he could sit next to his wife....

The passengers laughed.... I laughed too and because of my acrobatic vaping I was nicotine satiated and ready for my flight home...

Is there a reason for this story? No...

Why would you want the middle seat? I'd be all over the middle seat, if it were between my wife and Kate Upton; other than that, I can't see any possible reason why the middle seat would be desired.

Reme

Sep 19, 2013
Oakville, ON, Canada
Why would you want the middle seat? I'd be all over the middle seat, if it were between my wife and Kate Upton; other than that, I can't see any possible reason why the middle seat would be desired.

I assume because the window seat wasn't his, and the middle seat is easier to avoid the eyes of the flight attendants.

Worse comes to worse if someone asks you not to just politely agree and put it away I suppose!

They can ask me and depending on the location I may or may not comply. Outside? Won't comply. Beach? Won't comply. I would ask them how my vape is bothering them as they owe me an explanation if they expect compliance with their request.

As at least one other has stated somewhere in the forum, I am too old to care about hurt feelings these days if their request is not rational.

I heard the Key Club is out of business on Sunset. If I had the money, I would buy it as it is across from the Viper Room. Wonder what I would name it......

Last edited:

TheSchwa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2011
614, Ohio
I only vape in places that I have permission or that I feel comfortable pulling off a stealth vape. Most bar owners in my area don't mind in the slightest. One has told me they enjoy the variety of smells they get. I refuse to be rude with it. I enjoy the freedom of being able to vape where I please and don't want to abuse it so it isn't taken away.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
I sometimes vape in restaurants and even in my doctor's office.

When I vaped in a Chinese buffet, the waiters were curious as to what I was doing. They thought I was smoking until I showed them what an e-cig was. One of the waiters wanted to know where to get one.

In the doctor's office, I showed my doctor what I was doing instead of smoking and how the e-cig worked. Doc gave me a thumbs up.

Empi666

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
NorCal
I don't vape indoors at all. You have to look at it like this. The world we live in has gotten A LOT greener/healthier in recent years. I remember in the 80's going to the mall with my parents and you could smoke anywhere.... ashtrays laid out every 50feet. Now look at the image of smoking.... you can't anywhere indoors, you have to keep 20-50 feet from entrances, etc...

The image of smoking has become very shunned. Vaping unfortunetly is the same image.... your are inhaling and blowing what looks like smoke from a device (that sometimes resembles a cig). People that don't smoke at all are not going to look at you vaping and think "Look at that, he's vaping. wow that smells great!"

Even though we all know how much safer vaping is....its still not as healthy as not vaping at all. Its going to be grouped with smoking and will eventually be banned indoors just like smoking is. Its just going to happen.

brianeharmonjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Indiana
Don't know if I'm just a wuss, if I've just been beat down from a decade of being a smoker, or if it's just an extension of my shy and confrontation-avoiding personality, but I basically only vape in places that I would have smoked. My employer's policy treats vaping like smoking, so I have to go out to the smoking area, and I don't really ever vape inside in public places.

Rancor0681

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Belle Rive, Illinois, United States
Don't know if I'm just a wuss or if I've been beat down from a decade of being a smoker, but I basically only vape in places that I would have smoked. My employer's policy treats vaping like smoking, so I have to go out to the smoking area, and I don't really ever vape inside in public places.

Momma always told me just because you "can" do it doesn't mean you should.
Respect for others goes along way

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Momma always told me just because you "can" do it doesn't mean you should.
Respect for others goes along way

Your implication, of course, is that it's disrespectful to vape in places where you wouldn't be allowed to smoke. I disagree. It's not smoking. It doesn't smell like smoking, and it doesn't have the health implications that smoking has.

I think it's disrespectful to expect people who have quit smoking to go stand outside in the cold and the rain with the smokers, so that when they come back inside they'll smell like a smoker.

If there is a rule against vaping, then I'll comply. However, your opinion seems to be that I'm being disrespectful if I don't treat vaping just like smoking.

In actual practice, I vape in public every day, and nobody ever complains, because I do use some basic common sense about when/where I do it. Lots of people ask questions, but those are generally from smokers who are interested, or people who would like their (spouse/sibling/parents/BFF) to quit smoking.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
People who can't control their vape have a problem. I don't know if there are any step programs for vapers, but I see some forming in the near future... Social norms in the US pretty much dictate where and when I vape, not a chip on my shoulder.

If you're going to make the claim, then back it up. What problem do I have? I'm not even using nic anymore. I can choose to not vape. But I haven't been given any real reason, other than "It looks like smoking, so treat it like smoking!", which is not a convincing argument. So when I go to a bar, I vape. When I finish a meal, I vape. Those were two of my heavy keys when I smoked, and I used vaping to get off the cigs.

The people who are actually around me when I vape are not complaining. Managers and waitresses aren't complaining. (Heck, I know several who are vaping specifically because they learned about it from me.)

The biggest issue I run into are people who come to the vaping forum to scream and cry about how vaping should be treated like smoking and I should be an outcast and how I'm being disrespectful if I don't hide like a leper. And I simply don't buy it. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. It's not illegal, it's not immoral, it's not hurting anyone else, and it's darn sure much healthier for me than the cigs I was smoking before.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
If you're going to make the claim, then back it up. What problem do I have? I'm not even using nic anymore. I can choose to not vape. But I haven't been given any real reason, other than "It looks like smoking, so treat it like smoking!", which is not a convincing argument. So when I go to a bar, I vape. When I finish a meal, I vape. Those were two of my heavy keys when I smoked, and I used vaping to get off the cigs.

The people who are actually around me when I vape are not complaining. Managers and waitresses aren't complaining. (Heck, I know several who are vaping specifically because they learned about it from me.)

The biggest issue I run into are people who come to the vaping forum to scream and cry about how vaping should be treated like smoking and I should be an outcast and how I'm being disrespectful if I don't hide like a leper. And I simply don't buy it. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. It's not illegal, it's not immoral, it's not hurting anyone else, and it's darn sure much healthier for me than the cigs I was smoking before.

It was a general statement for those who can't take a step without a vape. If you feel it applies to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread