• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

GotVapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
I hope so, I'm almost at the breaking point lol. I'm stuck dripping into an atomizer that has a feint taste of ... left from a previous juice that I just can't get rid of.

I'm with ya... and tired of Stardusts that want to pre-enjoy my flavors so I only get a part of it. They seem to mute them a lot. Although the V3 I'm using now has redeemed them from my first horrible V2 experience. I'll give them points for convenience, ease of use, and pretty colors..... but for flavor, I find I'm always reaching for the drip attys now. Hoping that when I can add a ViVi Nova to my tool box, I'll have an all-day-tank that I can really enjoy.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
I hope so, I'm almost at the breaking point lol. I'm stuck dripping into an atomizer that has a feint taste of ... left from a previous juice that I just can't get rid of.

Jabs, ROF LOL Just too many possibilities, too many scenarios I can't possibly think of the best one but have you checked for skid marks?

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm thinking about ordering one of these or a Genesis DID Clone thingy from Canvape because I'm starting to get really angry at my Clearos and Cartos.

You may want to keep them around, because no matter how angry you get at 'em, you're going to want something for when you get REALLY angry at your rebuildable. :)

It's a learning curve; frustrating to say the least. But when you finally get it, man oh man.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
You may want to keep them around, because no matter how angry you get at 'em, you're going to want something for when you get REALLY angry at your rebuildable. :)

It's a learning curve; frustrating to say the least. But when you finally get it, man oh man.
I'm not ready for that yet, but to help me plan for the (inevitable? lol) future....
What would you suggest to have on hand when starting with rebuildables. I don't want to get my first one and discover I've omitted ordering some important component or supply that I'll need to get going.
Tools? supplies? etc?

And what does one use for cotton wicks? The new Stardust V3s I have seem to have wicks that would easily be replaceable if one was careful and gentle about it.... I'm curious to try cotton after all I've been reading....

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm not ready for that yet, but to help me plan for the (inevitable? lol) future....
What would you suggest to have on hand when starting with rebuildables. I don't want to get my first one and discover I've omitted ordering some important component or supply that I'll need to get going.
Tools? supplies? etc?

And what does one use for cotton wicks? The new Stardust V3s I have seem to have wicks that would easily be replaceable if one was careful and gentle about it.... I'm curious to try cotton after all I've been reading....

I can only speak about genesis-style rebuildables (they're the ones with the stainless mesh wick sticking up out of a tank of juice) - I haven't tried a fibre-wicked one yet.

First thing's first, you're going to want plenty of spares to vape on while working out the kinks in your rebuildable.

Second, the atomizers usually come with everything you need to start vaping, namely stainless steel mesh, kanthal or nichrome wire, and the atomizer components themselves, so no extra purchases are necessary in that respect.

Third, you'll want a butane torch (like a chef's torch) to oxidize your stainless wick. Propane works fine, too--it's what I use. I just keep it turned really low.

Fourth, you'll want a multimeter to test the resistance of the coil.

Fifth, you'll want a long, skinny pokey thing like a syringe needle or a dental pick or something to adjust your coils.

Sixth, you'll want a nice, soft, fluffy pillow duct-taped to the wall at convenient head-bashing height, for when you just can't get rid of that one darn hotspot. (Safety first!)

Seventh, you'll want a Youtube connection open to one of the myriad videos out there on coil setup for genesis-style atomizers.

Eighth, you'll want a lot of patience. I still have bad coil days even after a month of using this thing, but I'm a tinkerer, so I don't mind.

Ninth, you'll want a good stiff drink for when you're finished.

Some of these are optional, and may not be necessary.

Edit: Just thought of something else: You'll need a mind open to the possibility that this may not be the right setup for you.

Have I missed anything? I don't think so, but you never know.

Last edited:

Not Iris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I use cotton candle wick in my Ody and stainless mesh in my DID clone. I also keep a supply of Stardusts around for *just in case. Once you are able to build that *perfect* coil, there is no turning back.

Mike covered all what is needed including lots of patience until you get it right. I think I lived on YouTube when I first started making coils.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Thank you very much Mike... I'm printing that off for future reference. I'll feel very prepared when I take the plunge! lol

Not Iris - so there's no super-special cotton wick for this purpose? Any clean cotton will do? I'm wondering if I were to boil (clean and sterilize) and thoroughly dry 100% undyed cotton yarn... would that be safe? So interesting.....

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thank you very much Mike... I'm printing that off for future reference. I'll feel very prepared when I take the plunge! lol

Not Iris - so there's no super-special cotton wick for this purpose? Any clean cotton will do? I'm wondering if I were to boil (clean and sterilize) and thoroughly dry 100% undyed cotton yarn... would that be safe? So interesting.....

One other thing - You'll probably want some lighter-on-the-nic juice for use in your genesis. I'd transitioned to 12mg strength not long before picking up my DID, and my first time through a tank of 12mg, I got kinda loopy. Now I use 9 in my DID and 12 in my other things.

I seem to recall people in other threads using undyed cotton and bamboo yarn (I spy with my little eye... a PUN!) as wicking material. Long as it stays wet, there shouldn't be issues, I don't think.

Not Iris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
Rolli

Sorry for what??? I am so stoked that you got you machine / device / thingmy ...... what is it?

Its a RBA. I felt a little guilty in all the excitement from receiving it... Did you get the ZAP yet? My Computer is on the fritz and havnt been on the forum till today.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Its a RBA. I felt a little guilty in all the excitement from receiving it... Did you get the ZAP yet? My Computer is on the fritz and havnt been on the forum till today.

Now I've got to say sorry Rolli. Well yes my ZAP was released I should receive it tomorrow or Wednesday. What I'm sorry about is that I won a Zenesis Sidewinder on VaporWall. Nah I'm not sorry....happy happy happy

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
One other thing - You'll probably want some lighter-on-the-nic juice for use in your genesis....
I seem to recall people in other threads using undyed cotton and bamboo yarn (I spy with my little eye... a PUN!) ...
You've got a good eye for word play ;) thanks for the additional tips!
Yes, cotton yarn would be safe, but be sure to boil it for at least 15 min to get out the sizing and any other stuff. Some have even used cotton balls with success.
Check out this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html It is 364 pages long right now, but there is lots of good info.
Marvy! I will do! thank you!

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You've got a good eye for word play ;) thanks for the additional tips!

I love words (always have), am an incorrigible punster, and never need incorrige-ment to play with words. ;)

Seriously, though, even though this thread's kind of wandered off-topic, I'm glad I could help out. Never would've guessed six months ago that I'd be the one dispensing my wisdom to neophyte vapers at this time. :)

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
If I may add to this thesis on RBA'ing:

I purchased set of Steel Crochet Hooks and some flat braided wick for candles.

Photo on 12-11-12 at 8.55 PM #2.jpg Photo on 12-11-12 at 8.55 PM.jpg

When I checked out and responded the "No its not for my wife it was for myself" it spawned a discussion which led to the conversion (I hope) of a smoker.

I'm looking forward to trying the candle wick which is NOT zinc core and which I boiled in water in a sauce pan for a long time but have been otherwise occupied.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
If I may add to this thesis on RBA'ing:

I purchased set of Steel Crochet Hooks and some flat braided wick for candles.

View attachment 150760 View attachment 150761

When I checked out and responded the "No its not for my wife it was for myself" it spawned a discussion which led to the conversion (I hope) of a smoker.

I'm looking forward to trying the candle wick which is NOT zinc core and which I boiled in water in a sauce pan for a long time but have been otherwise occupied.
ahhhhh.... clever with the hooks! As I'm heavily into crafts and sewing, I already have some of those little fellas kicking around here. I even have cotton yarn..... so I'm set! But right now, I have more than enough toys to experiment with, so my RBA days will wait. For now, I'm quite content to live vicariously through all of you ;)

RollandOfGilead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
Kingston, On, Canada
One other thing - You'll probably want some lighter-on-the-nic juice for use in your genesis. I'd transitioned to 12mg strength not long before picking up my DID, and my first time through a tank of 12mg, I got kinda loopy. Now I use 9 in my DID and 12 in my other things.

I can definately see myself lowering the nic now, getting the headrushes you would get if you didn't have a smoke for an extended period then smoked one quickly. Its like the clouds are soooo much "denser". When I burn it opened up putting drops on it I can actually see the juice drops dissappearing. Im guessing 2-3 drops vaporized in 5-8 seconds. Can't see myself being happy with all the spare cartos in the vape box :(

bidslayer

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Been away due to extreme PC malfunctioning... Will be at least a few more days till im where I need to be... But a quick update is in order...

The vision RBA vapes like a dream, I am so impressed with it. Clouds so thick my first few days with it I had to reign in the chain vaping cuz i was getting so much more per pull.

As far as the "leaking" is concerned. It depends on how you fill it, do it right and it won't leak a drop. It has to do with the airhole, which is very similar to the stardusts. If you drip straight down an upright stardust the liquid will go in the air hole and leak out the bottom - same thing with the eternity. IF you tilt it to a 45degree and then drip slowly it will not get into the airhole.

Damn you, Rolland. Stop giving me more things to add to my wishlist. :)

PS Did you end up trying the EVO? I've managed to come to an understanding with mine and it is now a wonderous experience vaping dark chocolate mint in a DC tank. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread