Greetings - Propylene Glycol VS. Vegetable Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

danroy81

Dec 13, 2012
NY
Hi Everyone,

I started vaping in September and still having trouble finding the right brand and flavor to suit my needs.. I have tried BLU, V2 and Logic E-Cig. I had a Green Smoke disposable but I got a bum cartomizer and did not get to try it fairly. So far I like seem to like the V2 Cig battery but I hate their flavors (especially menthol) and considering I am a menthol smoker, it is a bit discouraging. I was curious if I can use a vegetable juice blend or any other juice for the V2cigs considering V2cigs use Propylene Glycol (I find it to be harsh). Will it work differently? Can anyone recommend a good menthol juice that might satisfy a Newport or Marlboro menthold smoker? Thanks in advance..

danroy81

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
VG = thicker more vapor, less TH, some say mutes flavor
PG = thinner more flavor, less vapor, more TH, some say harsh.

A combination of both is good. At around 60pg/40vg, 60pg/30vg, it's not too thick for cartos and you get lots of vapor.

I'm not familiar with the V2, they aren't a registered supplier here on ECF. If you know the type of battery you have (510 or KR808) you can buy empty cartomizers and fill them yourself with liquid from a regular e-liquid vendor. Most prefer that over the prefilled cartomizers which tend to be harsh.

daddytwigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2012
New Hampshire
Looks like v2 sells empty cartos. You could fill them with your favorite juice.
Not a big menthol smoker myself, but my inlaws have tried the Apollo and blu(Johnson creek) and liked it.
I've got a bottle of menthol from vaperoom that I'm steeping for them for Christmas. Based on other flavors I've tried from them, I'm sure it'll be sweeeeet.

worthatry

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Charlotte
I am sorta in the same boat. I think I can't do the PG. Disappointing because it takes what appears to be literally thousands of flavors all over the internet out of play and narrows it to such a small selection. I am not 100% sure yet if it is the PG or nic strength though because I tried the 100% PG with a V2 at 18 MG and I even tried some 80VG/20PG from madvapes at 18 MG that I filled myself and both seemed to harsh. I struggle to force myself to inhale them. The only 100%VG I have had is the blu's and they are 16 MG so it is possible I guess the extra nic may make it harsher?

In reference to your problem I am not a menthol smoker but Blu's mint cartridges are not good to me at all. I do have some Johnson's Creek Red Oak Juice(100% VG) 18MG sampels coming hopefully today maybe tomorrow. I am pretty sure they have some kind of menthol flavor in there and it seems to get okay reviews so I will come back on here and let you know what I think of them.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I had smoked menthol for most of the 27 years I smoked, with any menthol e-juice I have tried I have found they needed a longer steep time to taste anywhere near vapable for me. But it has been my experience that the menthol e-juices is for menthol smokers the same way tobacco juices are for non menthol smokers, we may find one of two that we like after a while, but we will never find one that tastes like a menthol cig to us.

I have read reviews not just on vendors sites, but here in ECF for menthol people say are great, I get some and it just tastes horrible to me. I have also noticed that many times when someone says they like a menthol they go on to say they couldn't stand menthol cigs.

Just something to keep in mind as you are looking.

Last edited:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Chances are it's the nic that is causing the "harshness". Could be the PG too, of course. Hard to know. Personally I find that VG or heavy percentage of VG mixes tend to coat my throat and make me feel choked and miserable. Plus my sinuses act up really bad...they'll clog and then drip and gag me. Also the VG imparts an extra sweetness that I don't appreciate. So I avoid much VG...the DIY menthol I make is 85% PG to 15% VG. I only add the little bit of VG to pump up the vapor a bit. PG will tend to deliver more flavor and TH...VG more vapor. But PG produces good vapor too, so it's just a balancing thing.

V2 is an KR808D-1 threaded device. Anything (including the Volt cartos & tanks) that is KR808D-1 will fit. You can get whatever juice you want and fill blank cartomizers...you do not have to use the prefilled ones. Taste is a very subjective thing...what tastes great to some will taste awful to others. Back about a year ago the V2 menthol was touted to be "the best menthol EVAH!". I couldn't stand the stuff. (it's changed since then, but I don't use V2 anymore). I was (and am) partial to My Vapor Store's "Menthol Sensation" (a PG juice) as it's very fresh and clean tasting..very menthol-y for someone who liked Kools or other strong menthols. I also like the "Ice Menthol" from Smokeless Image. But I don't like a "tobacco menthol"...and prefer a strong, minty/menthol/icy taste. It's just something you have to keep trying til you find the right thing for you.

I DIY my own menthol now...and love it! <G>

worthatry

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Charlotte
I will say that it's possibly the set up you use. I have Blu premium 100 as I am fairly new to this and went that route. I like that set up for discretion at work and love the flavors. Wanted stronger nic than they offered so bought some carts and ejuice which was the 80V/20P but again like I said was still too harsh. Well, today I bought an Ego and it seems to change the vapor so that stuff is not as harsh. Still not my cup of tea but somewhat bareable. I just wanted to post this because you didn't say what battery you were using so you might try something stronger. Sorry if it dumb newbie trying to give advice type stuff but just my small experience so far.

I did get my Johnson's Creek today so will check it out and post later today or tomorrow for you.

fisher

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2012
Maryland
It is definitely a learning curve. I started out with some coveniece store menthol ecigs which I actually liked and later found out that they were mint. When I tried real menthol smoke juice I could not tolerate the stuff. I also tried 100 % VG and it gave me a cough, coated my throat and tonge clogged my devices and had muted taste. Even though I was a heavy smoker for 35 years I found that I preferred the non- tobaccco flavors or the ones with so many other flavors that the tobacco was not the dominant flavor. I played with ecigs, carto cigs, wick tanks and eventually ended up with ego twist vv batteries and Vivi Nova tanks with 30-40% VG and 60-70% PG all natural flavor juices. I have moved on to more sophisticated devices, but still use my twists and Vivi Nova tanks because of the convenience, they work well and are easy to use and maintain. It is a personal preference thing and to some degree you just have to try some things out and find out what works for you. The folks on this forum are great and once you learn a little of the basic stuff they can really help you.

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
You can refill your V2s with no problem, with any juice base you'd like. I started on V2s but just before I stopped using them (when I upgraded to an ego) I started playing with other juices. V2 sells blanks (unfilled cartos).

I know that the smoov line is compatible with the V2. I've recently picked up a smoov for times when I need a little nicotine. I had some old, prefilled V2 cartos left so I popped them on a smoov and away I went :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread