Greetings and toxicology

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Tonight I've been reading about Capric Triglyceride. Fair bit of fun controversy surrounding this synthetically extracted natural fatty acid. As I'm looking over its properties I have to wonder if anyone has tested it for suitability as a replacement for pg/vg allergic folk? I know its only partially soluble, but, it has characteristics that might make up for that.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Boiling point isn't nearly as important as the decomposition temperature. When boiling it is ethyl still. FYI Boiling 79C and decomposition at 220C.

Actually, it is more important, because it causes separation. So what you haven't allowed for it what concentration of ethanol results, and what quantity. That will be dependent on how much you start with, what separation does or doesn't take place, and how much escapes.
I shouldn't say the metabolism is rendered irrelevant, because it is the pathway involved. But it is irrelevant in terms of the start material if you boil - because then you are dealing with a different concentration. Decomposition isn't the issue physiologically - conversion and elimination are.
In very small amounts it wouldn't really be an issue.

Last edited:

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Actually, it is more important, because it causes separation. So what you haven't allowed for it what concentration of ethanol results, and what quantity. That will be dependent on how much you start with, what separation does or doesn't take place, and how much escapes.
I shouldn't say the metabolism is rendered irrelevant, because it is the pathway involved. But it is irrelevant in terms of the start material if you boil - because then you are dealing with a different concentration. Decomposition isn't the issue physiologically - conversion and elimination are.
In very small amounts it wouldn't really be an issue.

Even if the alcohol separates with a PV you have a pretty straight shot into your lungs with little chance for escape. Else you a PV that leaks every-time you set it down. If anything when boiled it should allow for more absorption.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Even if the alcohol separates with a PV you have a pretty straight shot into your lungs with little chance for escape. Else you a PV that leaks every-time you set it down. If anything when boiled it should allow for more absorption.

Not sure about how much difference it makes, but I fire my PV about 2 seconds before I actually put the drip tip in my mouth and vape. Gives the coil plenty of time to get hot that way.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Not sure about how much difference it makes, but I fire my PV about 2 seconds before I actually put the drip tip in my mouth and vape. Gives the coil plenty of time to get hot that way.

To each their own does leave a lot of room for splitting hares. Po' wascilly wabbits. So I provided my interpretation of a worst case scenario which still looks pretty positive. When all the hares are gone is still going to be relatively safe.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
To each their own does leave a lot of room for splitting hares. Po' wascilly wabbits. So I provided my interpretation of a worst case scenario which still looks pretty positive. When all the hares are gone is still going to be relatively safe.

I think that in itself is what makes testing and figuring out just how safe vaping is difficult... I mean the fact the everyone vapes differently, uses different flavorings and bases, with and without nicotine, some preheat the coil, some don't...

Heck that's probably the biggest hindrance to proper testing... A positively perfect test to one vaper, could mean absolutely nothing to another. There are just so many variables to account for.

Just my thoughts...

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

Ah, I think you've missed the point here. The concentration will change with boiling. You can't clacluate on the starter figures because they aren't going to be the vape figures. :) Anyway - again talking about small amounts. You can go down to many rabbit holes if you don't undertand the physiology.
The link to the lab reports that Rhonda posted is a good read for anyone curious. This thread has sort devolved into speculations about chemicals that might be used in vaping now and has probably run its course.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Ah, I think you've missed the point here. The concentration will change with boiling. You can't clacluate on the starter figures because they aren't going to be the vape figures.

No, the concentration does not actually change because its boiling. The only thing that affects the concentration is the air your adding to the mixture as its vaporized. To change the concentration of a substance in relation to other present substances some of the substance has to be either discarded or decomposed. You can't pretend to discard it in air/liquid tight channel piping straight to your your lungs simply because it is more gaseous than before. Plus most vendor bought PV's don't get to ethyl's boiling point. So its a mute argument.

This thread has sort devolved into speculations about chemicals that might be used in vaping now and has probably run its course.
I have to agree that its run its coarse. Been a great and fun first thread to get to know and understand the community here :) But I do want to point out I've yet to bring up anything that can't be found in the existing ingredients for liquids that were available at a local shop.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
No, the concentration does not actually change because its boiling.

Look sorry but that is just not correct. If you started with 100% you could say that. But it won't be. When you burn what it's mixed with there are different burn off rates for the different components - the concentration per volume changes. I'm not saying that's good or bad - but the vv changes.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Look sorry but that is just not correct. If you started with 100% you could say that. But it won't be. When you burn what it's mixed with there are different burn off rates for the different components - the concentration per volume changes. I'm not saying that's good or bad - but the vv changes.

Ok, so the alcohol concentration goes up a minuscule amount since some trace chemicals in the other flavorings will burn at such low temps. Alcohol itself doesn't auto-ignite till about 365C (well after decomposition) and if your atty is sparking to ignite it at less you have worse problems to tend to.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
I've changed my mind about Vanillin again. I recently picked up a new vanilla flavoring that used both natural and artificial flavoring. When I tried it out I definitely started to feel the effects of carbon-monoxide poisoning. Which is something I'm both familiar with and with watching out for having grown up in an old-fashioned auto-shop. I have other vanilla flavorings that don't cause this problem. The only difference is with this new one I couldn't verify if it had Vanillin before ordering.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Well if vanilla is bad or poisonous I would have been dead long ago. I love the stuff.

Vanillin is not Vanilla. Vanilla contains trace amounts of Vanillin, yet, modern Vanillin is extracted from wood instead. Having a potent Vanilla-like taste it is used in many (but not all) artificial Vanilla flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread