Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2011
S. Central Pa
www.angelfire.com
The only thing keeping me from buying the Gripper VV is that every one that talks about it mentions how loud the click is when you push he button to use it. They all say it is not a stealth PV.

I don't need a 'stealth' PV, but I don't think I want one that a person on the other side of the room can hear it over top of the TV.

I know that this seems like an 'opinion' question but I would appriciate any comments. As long as it is not too loud it would be OK for me. I use to have an EGO type that if you held it close you could hear it click. All my others are silent.

Thank you,
JR

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I dont know what is meant by the v4l version, but the regular gripper from smoketech is a great little device in my opinion. There's probably an audible click but it's not enough to disturb someone who's watching tv. The only person who can hear it is probably the user unless you have someone like right next to you it wont' be an issue.

I like the device but as others have said, I do worry about it's long term durability. I kind of only use mine at home while playing video games.

RPadTV

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Planet Awesome
www.rpad.tv
I dont know what is meant by the v4l version

V4L's is 808D, while most versions other vendors are selling are 510. The company also claims that it has "upgraded wiring." I've only been using it for a few days, but I was surprised by the voltage accuracy compared to what was stated in reviews I've seen. Perhaps that's a result of the upgraded wiring. Perhaps not.

manfellow

Sep 14, 2012
Central Florida
Be aware of the flimsy contruction of the Smoktech VV Gripper. It's a near ideal perfectly pocket sized variable voltage device but it's assembled like a cheap Chinese toy. I loved mine when I got it but within the first 2 weeks the 510 connector popped loose from the case and was hanging out by it's wires, I shoved it back in and it still worked fine but now it was loose all the time wobbling around. Within another week the battery door started up with not closing tight, it still stays shut somehow but it's obviously messed up. Another 2 weeks and it stopped working altogether and I've just been using my Reo Grand and Lavatube. Tonight I forced the Gripper open and found some juice inside and that the ground wire that is soldered to the battery door had broken off, so I just now resoldered that, glued the 510 connection down and it's working again like new aside from the crummy battery door and pry marks from trying to get it open (if you end up doing this I found it opened easier by just squeezing it by it's sides really hard in your hand.)
All that said, I still like it and am vaping it as I type but now I view it more as a prettier than usual do-it-yourself boxmod I have to tinker with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread