Gripper Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I got my Gripper about a week ago and I really like it. It is an 18650 VV that has a great LED display, displays Batt voltage, resistance of carto or atty, up and down voltage adjustment buttons and top fire button.
It fits easily in a shirt pocket and is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.
I also have the v8 which is kind of similar in looks but the Gripper is a much better all around PV.
Stick a Vivi nova on it and you have a great combination.:)
I bought mine at DV for 59.00 http://www.discountvapers.com/gripper-vv/

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I know there are a lot of questions out there about batteries, and since this will be my first non-ego (not counting the pre-ego e-cigs), I don't have any batteries like this. So, if it gets here before Saturday, I'll take it down to my local vape shop and have them try to fit some in for me to buy. I may have to let you know on that :)

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
tx - good deal. I had one in my hand this past Saturday. It wasn't for sale.

What make and model 18650 are you using?

GI Mike - what battery will you be using with your Gripper?

Any 18650 IMR battery will work in them. I've used the AW IMR and the Panasonic IMR both button and flat tops will work. The only one that doesn't fit properly is the Protected ultrafires, they are too long and the door doesn't shut good.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I think the main problem is trying to figure out which batteries fit. Since it's not a "standard" 18650 connection, it's a bit hit and miss. I've seen people who say to only use flatops, and it seems others have to use spacers to take up the slack. My guess is, a protected button top 1500 mah battery or a protected flat top 2000 mah battery is kinda what we're looking at, though I could be wrong

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Any 18650 IMR battery will work in them. I've used the AW IMR and the Panasonic IMR both button and flat tops will work. The only one that doesn't fit properly is the Protected ultrafires, they are too long and the door doesn't shut good.

That is good info to know. I think us newbies to the removable battery mods are just worried about buying the wrong parts, as we don't have any from previous mods to test them with. Since most of the batteries for sale on vendors websites don't provide a lot of info on the battery itself other than the model, it makes me personally a bit leery.

hdzrtvap

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2012
Phelan, CA
I think the main problem is trying to figure out which batteries fit. Since it's not a "standard" 18650 connection, it's a bit hit and miss. I've seen people who say to only use flatops, and it seems others have to use spacers to take up the slack. My guess is, a protected button top 1500 mah battery or a protected flat top 2000 mah battery is kinda what we're looking at, though I could be wrong

FYI, This is posted on many sites:

Requires 1 IMR 18650 battery (not included), batteries with protection cicuitry including SMOKtech's own 18650 batteries will not fit.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
You don't want to use Protected anyway with a 1 battery variable mod. When adjusted higher than the batteries voltage more current is needed. Both Panasonic CGR18650CH or AW IMR have been tried and work in it and are great batteries, won't go wrong with either of those and that's what I'd personally recommend sticking with in a booster mod.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Over here... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eviews/320363-vv-gripper-smoktech-review.html
icgns indicates, 3 Batteries - According to the user manual PROTECTED 18650 batteries are to be used. This is a change from LT and Provari both recommending IMR unprotected. I used the AW IMR 1600mah (unprotected) which fit (65mm long) and work without problem. The AW 3100mah protected that I have does not fit (68mm long).

Something seems amiss somewhere...Can a Gripper owner chech his or her user manual for verification?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I think that reviewer and frankly SmokTech didn't express it very well. What all 3 mfg are saying is basically the same thing in a different way. LT and Provari both recommending IMR is a more direct way of saying it and quite clear, leaves little debate on what they are recommending.

SmokTech saying Protected 18650 are not to be used is a more open way of saying it, if you don't use protected that would logically leave IMR unless someone tried unprotected Li-Ion and no one would recommend that (don't do it).

I just checked Electronicstix details on it and at least they made it clear. Near the bottom it reads "Requires 1 IMR 18650 battery (not included)"

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
It seems "not" got dropped from icgns's post(?).

Yeah I noticed that to, that's why I included him in not making it clear, Smoketech could have done a better job of saying it though but these are Chinese companies and tha language can often be a bit confusing or even misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread