Gripper Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
just wanted to let everyone know that I'm now at 8 months with my gripper, new record for me :)

I orderered a sigelei t-max, if it's good I'm not going to make it at 9 months tho. But I'm pretty happy, 55$ for 8 months for a PV, that's quite nice !

I've used my gripper for about 9 months and although I have a Groove I still use the gripper some being as it is the most comfortable PV to vape that I have. I have to tape the batt door but it still works good. I love the long lasting battery on the Groove so I use it the most. :)

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
well I just got an elenco beginners soldering and electronics kit. After I learn how to solder (how different can it be from welding and brazing?) I plan to take the guts out, solder in new buttons to replace the broken old ones (the activating buttons) and put the guts into eclipse mint tins (these can hold an 18650 right? Hopefully it will look better and be smaller than my Altoids hot glued one...

I have three I can redo, plus I plan to replace the 510 connector on my Segali ZMax as it is stripped out, right now I'm using a bit of cardboard to keep my AGA-t screwed in...

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Finally got my Sigelei TMAX, box mod just like the Gripper, total failure though, way too tall (4 inches) and heavy (253 grams), don't buy, badly designed.

So even though the Smoktech Groove and the Innokin iTaste MVP has a built-in battery, which I don't particularly like, I figured that I might as well check them out, turns out they are both very very tall (3' 3/4 and 4' 1/4) and will fall when put on a table, too wobbly. Both will barely fit in a pocket with an atomizer on it.

So I'm back to square one in finding something like the Gripper, small, about 3 inches and in aluminium. For now I'll just stick with my 9 months old Gripper which is still working :)

CrudWalter

Oct 1, 2012
BC, Canada
...very very tall (3' 3/4 and 4' 1/4) and will fall when put on a table, too wobbly. Both will barely fit in a pocket with an atomizer on it.

So I'm back to square one in finding something like the Gripper, small, about 3 inches and in aluminium. For now I'll just stick with my 9 months old Gripper which is still working :)

My sentiments exactly.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Well if i had the time I'd just do everyone's in an eclipse tin for them. Saw a Mamu mod that looks nice in an eclipse tin. Ill post pics when i get one with mine. Right now i have my first one done, but in two 2xAA boxes epoxied back to back using 2x14500 batts and with a new radio shack button, my wife likes it but its a bit wide. On the other hand it definitely won't tip over.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I didnt have the time to put my gripper internals into the eclipse tin, its gonna be a bit tricky. So I found an old camel snuss tin and successfully transplanted the guts into it. The 18650 has to sit in there a bit crooked due to the shape of the tin but it all fits. I added "feet" to the bottom of the tin using qwiksteel so it will stand up and my wife is using it right now.

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I didnt have the time to put my gripper internals into the eclipse tin, its gonna be a bit tricky. So I found an old camel snuss tin and successfully transplanted the guts into it. The 18650 has to sit in there a bit crooked due to the shape of the tin but it all fits. I added "feet" to the bottom of the tin using qwiksteel so it will stand up and my wife is using it right now.

pretty good, but what about the pics? :)

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
here are the pics of the snuss tin with gripper internals photo 1 (2).jpg photo 2 (2).jpg photo 3 (2).jpg

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
if you have 0.0 ohms with many different atomizers that do work on other PV, something is definitely wrong with your Gripper, guess the only thing to do now would be to open it and check its inside.

center pin is broken... :( just opened it today. Several times it fell down and had to pull the connector in. Seems it didn't survive the last fall... I'll try to get another connector. Otherwise it's fine!

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Unfortunately it's a cheap device, sorry for your loss! I'm very happy mine is 11 months old and still working fine.

About to upgrade though, I should have it this week. It's in stainless steel, made with a Vamo so it's VV and VW, a little bit smaller than the Gripper (both in height and in length), a little bit heavier and cost around 85$, you need a Vamo, some parts to build it and then you have to build it, doesn't seem too complicated but you need a solder/welding gun.

I think you can also buy one pre-made. It's called the Vamo S or the Vamo Shrink and there's a lot of information here :
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...esents-vamo-schrinked-parts-tournoulette.html

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Unfortunately it's a cheap device, sorry for your loss! I'm very happy mine is 11 months old and still working fine.

About to upgrade though, I should have it this week. It's in stainless steel, made with a Vamo so it's VV and VW, a little bit smaller than the Gripper (both in height and in length), a little bit heavier and cost around 85$, you need a Vamo, some parts to build it and then you have to build it, doesn't seem too complicated but you need a solder/welding gun.

I think you can also buy one pre-made. It's called the Vamo S or the Vamo Shrink and there's a lot of information here :
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...esents-vamo-schrinked-parts-tournoulette.html

I've seen it unpractical for me. I can machine one, I have all neccesary equipment, but it's unpractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread