• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Guide for Vaping on Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

90proof

Dec 19, 2010
California
Hello everyone, I want to put together a post that will help people that are deploying over seas and still want to vape. I myself will be deploying later this year and I like to plan ahead as well as know what I am getting into as far as vaping goes. I'd like to hear information on stuff like durable mods that withstand military life, vendors that are easy to use, any tips for quantities and items to make sure to pack in your carried bags as I know after you get to country it can take a long time before you can be resupplied. Over the next few months, as I place orders I'll ask the suppliers there policy for APO shipping to add to a rolling updated list that I will add into this original post to help out with information to help other soldiers getting ready to mob to have as much information gathered in one spot.

Must have products:
ato-miser from nhaler.com :easy DIY reusable, rebuildable 510 atomizer. (drip only) (I have yet to buy one, but from reliable sources recommend it. I will buy and test one after my new debit card comes)
or
Bulli Smoker A2 Atomizer from bulli-smoker.com: Similar to the ato-miser, but been around longer and is a pen style cartridge. Can be pruchased for the 510, 901, or 801 battery connection. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronic-cigarette-reviews/152893-bulli-smoker-a2-diy-atomiser-similar-nhaler-ato-miser.html

pelican case model 1010 :durable case fits a pack of analogs barely, perfect for juice and extra parts. Combat tested

Juice Vendors:
velvetvapors.com : Confirmed 20% discount for to active or activated reserve. Ships APO

I will update this post as I find out more myself, as well with information provided by other soldiers. I thank everyone in advance for all your help.

Tips:
send anyone that you plan on purchasing from an email before checking out, and talk to them about their APO policies as to alleviate and shipping issues before they start. This should be the standard for any online purchases from anywhere for soldiers.

Always have cartomizers for when your on the go. I'm a dripper myself, but there are times a cart its just more sound, especially when your in the field.

The transition from state side to overseas can leave a gap in time before you can resupply, so stock up prior to that point.

Don't be afraid to vape were other soldiers can see you unless policy dictates differently. Most soldiers are curious and will ask you about your item, so educate them! Most that I have talked to are interested and with enough coaxing, they will make the change and our Army of Vapeoholics will grow stronger. Our mission: save everyone in the world from analog cigarettes.

Last edited:

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I just came from working on a ship (not mentioning name nor homeport) that everyone from the department head down openly vaped onboard the ship. I asked if it was OK, and told to go for it, just not in the passageways.

Anyways, on topic: I have an ato-miser and it would work well, and doesn't "look" out of place on a mod, for whatever that is worth. It is easy enough to rebuild etc. But it essentially is drip only and looks crazy on a ego style batt. If wanting a rebuildable atomizer, I would suggest looking into the Bulli-Smoker A2, as it is available in 510, 801, or 901 threads. It is pen style and about the size of a eGo 650mah battery. Unfortunately, it is only available from Germany. Maybe Drew will make something like it soon. Another idea for rebuildable is a DIY 510 genesis atomizer.

I would add for deployment: Plenty of juice, batteries, atomizers, and batteries. with extra charger(s). I would add some sort of cartomizers because you can't always be topping off carts or dripping. I would never rely on delivery from anywhere WRT vaping gear. Back when I was a smoker, I had to have my wife mail out care packages with smokes regularly. We always ran out on the ship, or sometimes they wouldn't sell them.

90proof

Dec 19, 2010
California
The ato-miser is a brand New device...I'm not Knocking it nor Drew. Just think it needs more time to prove itself before it's "highly recommend and must have item" to folks who have extremely Slow shipping times.
Going out with just that, could *potentially* set someone up for some serious problems.

for a normal state side vaporer I agree with you, but looking at it from a deployed soldier's perspective I weighed the pros and cons of this device. If you buy the dual kit at $95, you would have enough parts to make 60 atomizers. This is a big plus for space and cost of the atomizers, making them dirt cheap compared to normal atomizers. If the coils last even as short as 14 days, times that by 60( the amount of coils that comes with dual kit), and you would have an atomizer with just the pre included wire to last 840 days. That would cover a whole deployment. That being said I did factor in the cons. It is a new product and they is no idea at this time if the overall device can last that long, but compared to similar home made mods in the forums, there is little to go wrong minus the coil and users messing up the threads. Plus, a soldier has a secret weapon for if this device fails. We have an IT departments, the commo shop. Trained soldiers that handle alot of different hardware and software. If it breaks, and your smart enough to keep on these guys good side, they are more than capable of frankensteining the atomizer and rebuilding it. At the same point, even with all the good points to this, I still would advise soldiers to keep a stock of atomizers and cartomizers to keep from ever having any vaping down time. I knew I was going to catch some flak for putting that up there, but at this time, it just makes too much sense to have one of these. In the end, it is up to the individual to research all products before purchasing anything and deciding if the item is something that will work for them.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
First, thank you for your service! I was thinking you may want to check out this new variable volt PV coming out next week called the Darwin. It is supposed to be able to go about 48 hours on a charge and is recharged via a USB connection. I thought this might come in handy being deployed. I have no association with the people making or selling this new device but I'm thinking about getting one, so it was forefront in my mind when I read your thread. It will be available for sale by nhaler.com next Wednesday according to their thread on their ECF sub-forum. Here is a review of the PV:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ressions-newest-pre-production-prototype.html

If you are deployed, all the best to you and God Bless.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I live off grid and would be lost without my Kensington Power Pack charger for my USB eGo. (other power packs work great too, such as Tekkeon etc). There are also Solar Ecigs out on the market here and there (IndyVapeshop), and a few DIY solar Mods on youtube. I wonder if there are tutorials out yet on how to make the eGo a stealth unit?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I agree with you on the Darwin wv2win. This by far the second it hits the market, it will be the #1 mod ever for anyone in my personal opinion. Too precious to take out on missions or training exercises, but perfect for R&R mode after you are done.

That's a good point, 90proof about not wanting to put the Darwin into an extreme enviornment. One of the PV's I use is a 5 volt Box Mod from Ken's Box Mods. It costs $37, is simple, lasts about 6-8 hours on a charge and works every time. This might be a good option for the field. He also has a variable volt box mod, also. But I wouldn't get the high drain batteries for this PV if I was going to be in the field. The little magnetic spacers required with those batteries would be way to easy to lose or get jostled out of place requiring the user to stop and reposition them. I would only use regular 14500 batteries.

Last edited:

VicTweezy

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2010
Norfolk, VA
Most places I have stayed over seas on base have American style outlets, but I have also stayed off base, and needed adaptors to charge up. A nice kit that comes with the common ones costs about 30 bucks. I had to have my buddy save my .... once by borrowing his. Lesson learned...

Never been in "the field" but I do work LONG hours, and I think 3.7 is the way to go for extended battery life, and durability (maybe just me though...) I ran my screw driver over with my buick once, still works like a champ. THAT is durability.

Circumspice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
God's Country
I checked out Indy Vapor Shop as advised on another post in this thread...

Yes, they have a Solar Charger Kit. It looks to be a very useful item!

They also have a Bulk Buying section. Right now there are only a few items,
but they stated that there are more to come. The prices seem to be excellent,
from what I've seen so far. Maybe you could set up a co-op with other service
members and save a little money.

Just another idea for you to consider. :)

zapp1982

Oct 21, 2010
KY
Hello everyone, I want to put together a post that will help people that are deploying over seas and still want to vape. I myself will be deploying later this year and I like to plan ahead as well as know what I am getting into as far as vaping goes. I'd like to hear information on stuff like durable mods that withstand military life, vendors that are easy to use, any tips for quantities and items to make sure to pack in your carried bags as I know after you get to country it can take a long time before you can be resupplied. Over the next few months, as I place orders I'll ask the suppliers there policy for APO shipping to add to a rolling updated list that I will add into this original post to help out with information to help other soldiers getting ready to mob to have as much information gathered in one spot.

Must have products:
ato-miser from nhaler.com :easy DIY reusable, rebuildable 510 atomizer. (drip only) (I have yet to buy one, but from reliable sources recommend it. I will buy and test one after my new debit card comes)
or
Bulli Smoker A2 Atomizer from bulli-smoker.com: Similar to the ato-miser, but been around longer and is a pen style cartridge. Can be pruchased for the 510, 901, or 801 battery connection. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronic-cigarette-reviews/152893-bulli-smoker-a2-diy-atomiser-similar-nhaler-ato-miser.html

pelican case model 1010 :durable case fits a pack of analogs barely, perfect for juice and extra parts. Combat tested

Juice Vendors:
velvetvapors.com : Confirmed 20% discount for to active or activated reserve. Ships APO

I will update this post as I find out more myself, as well with information provided by other soldiers. I thank everyone in advance for all your help.

Ok here goes! If you are looking for a durable mod for deployment i would look toward the Chuck from Thagbuilt.com Its solid as a tank! uses an 18650 battery that lasts for days, and if you have say 6 or so charged up and ready to go you can go "on mission" away from electricity and still be vaping the whole time. I would suggest taking a few more batts than you think you will need because the military works that way. Even better than being a solid built mod, you can get it "painted" any way you want (No extra charge). So if your vest is ACU then you can get your Chuck with an ACU design and keep it right in your webbing and it will look like a flashlight! With a few batteries mabey an atty kit or some spares and enough juice you could go the whole deployment without needing a tar and flames analog. Might be a good idea to order 2 Chucks because your battle buddy is going to want one too!

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
This is a cool thread!

I imagine a solid mechanical battery mod would be a good device with a small stash of batts in case one craps out. Arranging for "care packages" from a trained and trusted friend at home might be a good idea if can you receive packages like that while deployed? The disposable items like attys/cartos/liquids, especially liquids, seems like they'd be the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread