Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Yes, PG is the flavour carrier for most commercial water-soluble flavours out there, water and alcohol being very common, too. However, even though there already is PG in the flavour, treat the flavour liquid as one thing, the PG you vape as an entirely different one. And for DIY purposes, treat the whole stuff that's in the bottle that's labeled "flavour" as one entity, regardless of its composition.

Flavourart flavours (including its carrier, PG) are added at about 1-5% of the final liquid, and never, ever consume or vape pure flavours. Overdoses of anything are not particularly healthy, and you can actually poison yourself with pure flavours. (Just as you can with spices, if you eat them by the table spoon. Or with salt or water, for that matter. Just overdose enough, and you have a serious problem.)

So you need your 1-5% of FA flavours, and your 95-99% of PG, VG and/or water.

Pegasus7

Jan 27, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks, PureV, I have also add this thread to my Favs.
This info ROCKS! and I have turned all my fellow vaps to this link.
Keep it up...and I post my recipes when I get the hang of it.
Thanks again!

Sorry didn't mean to re-post this ....

As a noob, Still having trouble wrapping my head around the nic strength after adding 2%-15% flavoring and water/alcohol for dilution. Previous post suggest low nic to start, but I like a 25- 36 nic potency. If I buy 36 shouldn't I be in that range?:confused:

Again Thanks for the noob help.:thumbs: I have helped with the hits to this post. Since I have been Vaping, Jan 15 2010, I have brought atleast 2 people a week to Vaping! And more to come. For me I like tinkering, so making my own Juice is a cool way of learning the ropes. ;)

Reactions: BlairTheMaori

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Pegasus7 said:
As a noob, Still having trouble wrapping my head around the nic strength after adding 2%-15% flavoring and water/alcohol for dilution. Previous post suggest low nic to start, but I like a 25- 36 nic potency. If I buy 36 shouldn't I be in that range?:confused:

Using one of the calculators is your best bet. If you're just using 36mg + flavoring/water/alcohol, you can do a simple 36mg times (100%-Other Stuff%). You'd be in the 25-36mg range if you use 30% or less flavoring+water+alcohol, since 36*(100%-30%) = about 25.

Thanks HappyCamper for the contribution.

HappyCamper

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Wyoming
Okay, after thinking about it this morning, when I used the Tasty Puff I was having a hard time with my tastebuds, I can taste better now.
Soooo...
Tasty Puffs... Start out with 2%, let it sit (it gets stronger), add a little bit by bit. I can't see needing more than 5%.
Except for Rootbeer, start with 1%.
Nevermind my earlier post about the Cotton Candy. I had a hard time with it cuz it's not for me, if you like it I would start out at 2-6% and go up from there.
PureV, this really is the best thread!!! Thanks!!!:p
Alex, I am going to try the Flavouart, I like the % rate.:)

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I'm wondering if anyone has tried Suttons Bay Trading Company's flavorings? I have tried loranns and it is just to weak and Capellas and Flavorart plus perfumers aprentice doesn't have the flavor I'm looking for. I found this place on the internet and they claim they are 3 to 4 times stronger but if the won't work then they won't work. Does anyone know anything about them?

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I'm wondering if anyone has tried Suttons Bay Trading Company's flavorings? I have tried loranns and it is just to weak and Capellas and Flavorart plus perfumers aprentice doesn't have the flavor I'm looking for. I found this place on the internet and they claim they are 3 to 4 times stronger but if the won't work then they won't work. Does anyone know anything about them?

They have some great flavors and their price is $4-$5 for 1oz... pretty good!

I emailed them and asked if they are selling to anyone in the e-cig trade yadayada and I'll let you know when I hear back.

Here's their list of flavors!!! Flavorings and Flavoring Oils from Suttons Bay Trading Company Spices
[SIZE=-1]Amaretto Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Apple Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Apricot Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Banana Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Black Walnut Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Blackberry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Blueberry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Brandy Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Bubble Gum Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Butter Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Butter Rum Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Butterscotch Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Caramel Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Champagne Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cherry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Chocolate Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Coconut Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Coffee Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cotton Candy Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cranberry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Creme De Menthe Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Eggnog Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]English Toffee Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Honey Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Horehound Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Licorice Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Maple Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Marshmallow Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Peach Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Peanut Butter Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pecan Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pina Colada Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pineapple Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pistachio Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Praline Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Pumpkin Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Raspberry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Red Licorice Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Root Beer Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Salt Water Taffy Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sassafras Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Strawberry Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tropical Punch Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tutti-Frutti Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Vanilla Butternut Flavor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Watermelon Flavor[/SIZE]

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Be sure to look at the ingredient list on each flavor as some are "atomizer killers" and others are just not good to vape. You want to stay away from sugar bases, Carmel Coloring, and Artificial colorings. All the flavors should be water soluble otherwise you will be blowing though atomizers all day long.

Take for example their Maple:

Contains: Natural and Artificial flavoring, propylene glycol, water, maple sugar, glycerine. All ingredients are approved for use by the FDA.

That will clog and atomizer quicker then you can order one.

Hope that helps,

Sun

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Thanks Sun Vaporer. I'll ask all those questions and post their response. Maybe they would be willing to do what Capella and PA did and set up a separate category of DIY.

Is there someone here more versed than I in flavoring terminology and what we need that's willing to work with them if they're open to it?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Thanks Sun Vaporer. I'll ask all those questions and post their response. Maybe they would be willing to do what Capella and PA did and set up a separate category of DIY.

Is there someone here more versed than I in flavoring terminology and what we need that's willing to work with them if they're open to it?

Excellent Gooddog!! Bickford actually changed their website to reflect which flavors are water soluable and which are not. Also ask them if they are diacetyl free.

Apprecated,

Sun

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY

I'm about 99% sure Suttons Bay Flavorings are repackaged LorAnn Oils, since their flavors match word for word and ingredient for ingredient with LorAnn's.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I tried mixing 70VG/20water/10 Lorann's brandy flavor. It was okay.

Is it really soluble in water though? Cause I get some tiny chunks in the mix, which I'm guessing is the flavoring. Is it because I used VG instead of PG?
Well I just added a whole 1dram bottle of loranns to 15ml of 50/50 vg/pg and couldn't taste it. It was like vaping unflavored nic juice.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
I tried mixing 70VG/20water/10 Lorann's brandy flavor. It was okay.

Is it really soluble in water though? Cause I get some tiny chunks in the mix, which I'm guessing is the flavoring. Is it because I used VG instead of PG?

It should be water soluble, and there should not be chunks. It has nothing to do with the VG or PG. It's possible you got a bad batch of flavor. Where are you seeing the chunks? Did you thoroughly mix it? How big and what color are they?

eWeed

Feb 20, 2010
eLand
It should be water soluble, and there should not be chunks. It has nothing to do with the VG or PG. It's possible you got a bad batch of flavor. Where are you seeing the chunks? Did you thoroughly mix it? How big and what color are they?

It's gone after 2 days. And yes I mixed the hell out of it. It was a 30ML bottle. Guess I shouldn't just throw it in the fridge right away.

Well I just added a whole 1dram bottle of loranns to 15ml of 50/50 vg/pg and couldn't taste it. It was like vaping unflavored nic juice.

I added 1 dram to a 30ML mixture. I could taste it. It was more like grape juice than Brandy though.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
It's gone after 2 days. And yes I mixed the hell out of it. It was a 30ML bottle. Guess I shouldn't just throw it in the fridge right away.

I added 1 dram to a 30ML mixture. I could taste it. It was more like grape juice than Brandy though.

The refrigeration storage is for nicotine VG/PG to keep nicotine strength from dropping over time, not for mixtures once you add flavor. Some flavorings can (as you know) solidify a bit in the fridge. As long as you keep it away from sunlight and too much heat your mixture won't really lose anything unless you don't use it for a month+.

Recommended strength for Brandy is 10-15% and you used 11% so it may be too weak for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread