Guide to DIY Flavoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

eWeed

Feb 20, 2010
eLand
The refrigeration storage is for nicotine VG/PG to keep nicotine strength from dropping over time, not for mixtures once you add flavor. Some flavorings can (as you know) solidify a bit in the fridge. As long as you keep it away from sunlight and too much heat your mixture won't really lose anything unless you don't use it for a month+.

Really? What happens after a month+? Everyone that I buy from always says it's good for 12 months. More if you refrigerate it.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Really? What happens after a month+? Everyone that I buy from always says it's good for 12 months. More if you refrigerate it.

The nicotine strength will decrease by tiny amounts, which won't much affect it's mg/ml strength for a year like they say. It won't really affect your vape, unless you're storing it outside on the pavement or something.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Been wondering if there is something else that should go into the Primer: Don't order a DIY kit when you order your first PV, no matter how tempting. Two reasons:
1) Your tastebuds still don't exactly work well, most likely. Not much of a point trying to test wheather a flavour needs 3% or 4% if it's going to taste vastly different four weeks from now. Tastes of course always change, but that is a most predictable and rather big change.
2) Learn how to use your PV properly first. Not much of a point trying flavours if you for example still vape everything far too hot, or make similar beginners errors.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Hiya Alex! :waving: :D

I told myself I was just playing around with DIY until all my supplies came in and that way if it was yuk it wasn't my fault. :rolleyes:

Well... what tasted good that night tasted terrible in the morning and now a few days later it's really bad! :nah: It can easily be fixed but it proved to me how much of a change there is in the strength of the flavor over just a short time. I don't know what the optimal time is to let it sit but I know I can use much less flavoring than I thought. Having too much flavor can actually have the reverse effect and make it taste less like the intended flavor, huh?

Also, my taste buds are most accurate first thing in the morning and NOT after I brush my teeth! LOL

Does anyone have a recipe for Chocolate Malted Milk Balls?

Yankee802

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Panama City, Florida
I tried to create a new thread for this question, but I guess I haven't posted enough yet to be able to start new threads, so this looked like a good place for this question.

Have any of you figured out the different ratios of nic/PG/VG/glycerin/vodka/water for the various atomizers? I have a stick v3, 510, blu, and a couple others that all seem to vape the same liquid differently, and I'd like to know what ratios work best for any given device. I guess if nobody has any input on this I'll have to do through all the various ratios I can think of for each attomizer I have and see what happens.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Have any of you figured out the different ratios of nic/PG/VG/glycerin/vodka/water for the various atomizers? I have a stick v3, 510, blu, and a couple others that all seem to vape the same liquid differently, and I'd like to know what ratios work best for any given device. I guess if nobody has any input on this I'll have to do through all the various ratios I can think of for each attomizer I have and see what happens.
It's really each individual atomizer that's different, not just the model. I have a 510 atomizer that produces crazy throat hit and less vapor, and another that gives a smooth cloud. It has more to do with the voltage and the VG - a thicker liquid with more VG vapes more slowly at default voltage but at high voltage will produce a massive fog around you.

Been wondering if there is something else that should go into the Primer...
Added in a less commanding way. I personally started DIY after ordering pre-mixed liquid once other than what I got with my kit.

Well... what tasted good that night tasted terrible in the morning and now a few days later it's really bad! :nah: It can easily be fixed but it proved to me how much of a change there is in the strength of the flavor over just a short time. I don't know what the optimal time is to let it sit but I know I can use much less flavoring than I thought. Having too much flavor can actually have the reverse effect and make it taste less like the intended flavor, huh?

Also, my taste buds are most accurate first thing in the morning and NOT after I brush my teeth! LOL

Does anyone have a recipe for Chocolate Malted Milk Balls?
FlavourArt has a Barley Malt flavor (link to HappyVaper) you could use with whatever chocolate you like. I know the custom suppliers usually ship right after mixing it, so it probably sits for about 3-4 days before arriving. I'd say 2-3 days should be enough for the flavors to almost completely diffuse.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Added in a less commanding way. I personally started DIY after ordering pre-mixed liquid once other than what I got with my kit.
No problem at all, I pointed out a potential problem in the middle of the night. Phrasing may have been improvable ;)

Had a funny flavour experience myself a few days ago: Tried a liquid mix again (two flavoured liquids) I had vaped for weeks and liked very much. That was until like 4 weeks ago, so well into my vaping career. A few days ago, it was absolutely yucky, could not finish the cart even after I poured FA Coffee over it, which after all is not a very mild flavour.

FlavourArt has a Barley Malt flavor (link to HappyVaper) …
It's among those I have here but not tested yet. Gonna post a list of what I tried and came up with, percentage-wise, as soon as I am through all I have here.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
HotNostril, not sure how long you vape already, but in the first two or three weeks that is fairly normal. Your tastebuds might still need to recover.

But of course you can add flavours to already flavoured juice. Just be a bit careful, obviously, you will need much less flavour. For flavour vendors, check the guide itself.

HotNostril

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
HotNostril, not sure how long you vape already, but in the first two or three weeks that is fairly normal. Your tastebuds might still need to recover.

But of course you can add flavours to already flavoured juice. Just be a bit careful, obviously, you will need much less flavour. For flavour vendors, check the guide itself.

Thanks so much! I just wasn't sure if I could go ahead and add it straight away!

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Hot: wally sells Loranns cherry (in a two pack)

PURE: thank you!!!! Many times over!! I have bookmarked this and read it three times now (I'm sure I'll have to again, once I get all my ingredients)

Speaking of bookmarks; I have bookmarked several threads while reading the forum (last two weeks). Not sure how many you have, but if you know how I can get them to you, I'd be happy to share!

Thanks again! Great great great guide!

Pegasus7

Jan 27, 2010
Oklahoma
Well I ordered my e-juice supplies today...

Xtreme Vapor:
50% Nic
PG Pure

Perfumer's Apprentice:
Jamaican Rum
Tobacco Absolute

Capella:
French Vanilla
Espresso

Should have I ordered Sweetener? I have a dreadful sweet tooth.
Can't wait to get started with my next phase of Vaping!!!
Will update later...
Thanks PureVapor for the courage. :thumb:

Last edited:

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Should have I ordered Sweetener? I have a dreadful sweet tooth.
Can't wait to get started with my next phase of Vaping!!!
Will update later...
Thanks PureVapor for the courage. :thumb:

You're welcome and good luck. You might have wanted to get Sucralose but you always can get it in original and more concentrated form at splendex.net pretty cheap if you change your mind. Ethyl Maltol is another less strong option for sweetener, and PA's Cotton Candy is just Ethyl Maltol pre-diluted for convenience. EM also softens the harshness of flavors as Alex said, where standard Sucralose sweetener doesn't. I personally use both.

I'd get some Ethyl Maltol with the TA, it's a bit harsh on its own. Not bad, but particularly if you have a sweet tooth it may be too harsh.

PA cotton candy is a nice sweetener also.

Pegasus7

Jan 27, 2010
Oklahoma
You're welcome and good luck. You might have wanted to get Sucralose but you always can get it in original and more concentrated form at splendex.net pretty cheap if you change your mind. Ethyl Maltol is another less strong option for sweetener, and PA's Cotton Candy is just Ethyl Maltol pre-diluted for convenience. EM also softens the harshness of flavors as Alex said, where standard Sucralose sweetener doesn't. I personally use both.

I Ordered from splendex.net...
1/4 oz for less than $4 !!! Shipping included.
Great for Starting out.

Last edited:

pinkbeckie88

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
MA, USA
i have onyl made one batch of liquid made from TPA and i made it at 10% flavoring, and it is very weak, i can taste it but i think its pretty weak, i used the cherry and cheesecake together. i wish there was a better knowing of the TPA flavoring so i could really figure out how much to use, because im so new to this still

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
i have onyl made one batch of liquid made from TPA and i made it at 10% flavoring, and it is very weak, i can taste it but i think its pretty weak, i used the cherry and cheesecake together. i wish there was a better knowing of the TPA flavoring so i could really figure out how much to use, because im so new to this still

Just use the %'s in the guide, and one of the calculators. If it's weak, let is sit for a day, shake it every once in a while if possible. If it's still weak the next day up the flavor a bit and let it sit again. Also, I've heard the cheesecake is not very good.

Updated and added stuff, and made some cosmetic improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread