Guide to DIY Flavoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Can I buy premixed unflavored e-liquid (VG + my strength nic) and add my own flavor? I am really trying to avoid any alcohol in my e-liquid and I feel like a jerk asking my e-liquid guy which ones are alcohol free or if he uses LorAnn's. I can see where he would find that rude. And does anyone know if LorAnn is the industry standard for over the counter liquids?

Of course. Most DIYers buy nic in either a combination of PG or VG (or mixed percentage of) at whatever nic level they want.

I buy 100mg PG and then dilute it down but you can buy a lot lower than 100mg and just add your flavors as you want.

I am not sure how low a nic strength you can get but I've seen pretty low on various sites.

Thanx a lot for everyone, I get many knowledge here :)

Btw, I need your help,

1. Can I make a concentrated from standard essence (water base)? e.g. usually I'm using an essence 10%, I want to make it more powerful so I just need 5%.
2. Can I transfer the flavor from essence water base to PG? maybe evaporate the water but not evaporate the flavor?
Is that possible?

I'm sorry for my bad grammar.

Thanx before :)

Last edited:

Lillie Bennett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
Virginia
Thanx a lot for everyone, I get many knowledge here :)

Btw, I need your help,

1. Can I make a concentrated from standard essence (water base)? e.g. usually I'm using an essence 10%, I want to make it more powerful so I just need 5%.
2. Can I transfer the flavor from essence water base to PG? maybe evaporate the water but not evaporate the flavor?
Is that possible?

I'm sorry for my bad grammar.

Thanx before :)
Both PG and VG readily mix with water as well as alcohol so you may mix all 3 as needed, be safe.

want to quit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Germany/ Atlanta, GA
question guys. I have a couple of 30ml 6mg five pawns 50/50 VG PG. Is there a way to increase the nic level to 12mg? How many ml of nic would I have to add? My DIY liquid calculator doesn't really help me with this.

Also, can I add some pure VG to the liquid without messing up the flavor big time to maybe get it to 70 VG 30PG?

Thanks guys

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
question guys. I have a couple of 30ml 6mg five pawns 50/50 VG PG. Is there a way to increase the nic level to 12mg? How many ml of nic would I have to add? My DIY liquid calculator doesn't really help me with this.

Also, can I add some pure VG to the liquid without messing up the flavor big time to maybe get it to 70 VG 30PG?

Thanks guys

1. Yes
2. Depends on the strength of the nicotine you'd be adding. If it is unflavored, then you'll be diluting it, possibly to the point it tastes nothing like what you started with.
3. I'd get a better calculator if I didn't know the math and I were in your position.
4. Yes, but see second sentence of #2.

Reactions: flowerpots
So i ordered alot of test flavoring is 3.5ml bottles LorAnns flavors and they are described to use atleast 2x less than other brand flavorins...strong flavorings. But here i read ll those percentages and it looks like they are even weaker. Is OP an old news and LorAnn have made stronger flavorings, or i just bought these lil bottles that wont last me much?

Dirty_Ralph

Jun 12, 2015
New York
Yes I agree Ive done the same. This thread will be invaluable to my bumblings into the field of DIY. I actually found this site and joined the forum after many hours of researching google for something useful when delving into making our own juice. About a year and a half ago my wife thinking it was as easy as grabbing all of LorAnns flavors a bottle of PG, a bottle of VG ,Nicotine and the fact shes worked in a pharmacy assisting the owner in mixing so well educated in measuring volumes in many compounds that it was easy enough to figure out on her own having no trial and error by others to go off from like this awesome thread to help out with recipes, whos flavor per flavor is superior over anothers having been polled not just as a flavor maker but individual flavors within each makers lines on down the line side by side against others. We can again delve into DIY but this time with this plethora of useful knowledge.

Reactions: weisner

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

EllifIknow

Jul 18, 2015
First off, this thread is great!! :thumbs:

Secondly, I am about to begin my 'chemistry project' this coming week and I'm pretty amped up to do it!

It seems like a 'hurry up and wait' approach is best when letting flavors steep and deepen over a week or longer. I was curious if there was a list of which flavors take longer to steep and which ones are basically ready to vape after mixing the ingredients together??
Or perhaps there is a minimum steeping time for all flavors?

Thanks to everyone at the ECF community for their input to this thread, and all the other great information here :matrix:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
First off, this thread is great!! :thumbs:

Secondly, I am about to begin my 'chemistry project' this coming week and I'm pretty amped up to do it!

It seems like a 'hurry up and wait' approach is best when letting flavors steep and deepen over a week or longer. I was curious if there was a list of which flavors take longer to steep and which ones are basically ready to vape after mixing the ingredients together??
Or perhaps there is a minimum steeping time for all flavors?

Thanks to everyone at the ECF community for their input to this thread, and all the other great information here :matrix:

I've only been DIY a few months, but my experience has been :

- Higher flavor percentages (over 20%) are often shake and vape, no matter what flavors.

- Creams and vanillas (my favorites) taste better if allowed to sit at least a few days. Actually, every juice I've made tastes better after at least a few days, but some are shake and vape.

I've also read that tobacco flavors need some steep time, but I have no experience with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread