The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hardest part of diy

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by tgardner23, Oct 8, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. xpackaday

xpackaday Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I do about the same thing, but some of those test bottles still taste like crap and I do need to trash them. But, I keep think some day I will figure out what there good for.

2. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Hardest part of diy...

... for me was returning to da DIY 'lab' to develop new recipes once I made several successful ADVs!

3. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    That's the beauty of DYI is being able to make a juice exactly to your likes.

4. Bob Chill

Bob Chill Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Sans Nom, USA
    When I mixed my first couple batches I grappled with the thought process that the more complicated the mix, the better the results. I learned pretty quickly that this isn't a good way to get started at all. My favorites are all 2 flavor combinations with some em/sweetner here and there when necessary. You can easily over think the whole process. That was one of the hardest parts with my first 3 goes at the mixing table. I tried to think too much and do too much.

My first home run was a simple HS tab blended and TFA dry4. It's so good that I have a small following asking for bottles. Best of all, it's so easy to make that you don't have to think much. I've found HS tobaccos to be extremely versatile and great tasting. Took a lot of the stress out when making stuff for myself because I really like tobacco'ish vapes and it was a great feeling realizing the you don't need to be a chemist to have success.

All new mixers should follow the "less is more" guidelines. It really takes some headaches out what is supposed to be a fun hobby.

5. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Some of my best mixes were 1 or 2 flavor mixes

6. FinallyQuit

FinallyQuit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 27, 2011
    SC
    There is a product called Bitter Wizard. It will tone down sweetness. I haven't used it, don't even know who makes it, found out about it on ECF.

*eta Here's a link, and the description:

http://www.rtsvapes.com/Bitter_Wizard_Flavor_p/b100.htm

7. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    Certainly have to agree with that one lately anyway. The notification thing when they have something back in stock is a farce for me when I have to sign up for 75% of what I want to order. They creep into stock over time, but many are out of stock again before enough of them are in stock to place an order.

8. xpackaday

Apr 23, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I did the same flavor, but started add sevenleaf to the mix of the DRY4. 10% DRy4 and 5% sevenleaf. I could not DRY4 one time so I ordered seedman flavors much better tobacco flavor. I like the commercial and VA.

9. fadifafitto

fadifafitto Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2012
    Germany
    Hardest part of diy...

is to STOP buying new flavors (have 70+ and keep ordering) :blink:

ah, also to find a proper Honey flavor (to mix with tobacco) which doesn't cause the vapor to smell like Urine :facepalm:

10. tdavids

tdavids Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2012
    Oregon
    So many flavors so little time and $

11. rasmith1959

rasmith1959 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    Guthrie, OK
    The hardest part of DIY is just deciding what vendors to buy your flavoring from. Then the problem is you decide and the flavor you do get doesn't meet your expectations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4

12. williebb123

williebb123 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

i generally make about 6 bottles at a time all different flavors , the only time i stress is when im in the middle of it and i run out of a flavor , either not enough for the recipe or dummy me forgot to reorder then i stress it just blows my whole program not that i couldnt make something else its just like craving that cheeseburger only to find they are closed nothing else will do

13. xpackaday

Apr 23, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I look at my stuff and if I'm running low on something I make up my mix based on the item with the lowest about. so I normally make 100ML, but if one of my flavors is low I will determine now much I can make base of the short flavor. So I may only make 48ml. Then I place an order for flavors I'm running low on. Once in awhile, I run out and have come up with a different juices and every once in awhile it's a keeper.

14. HeadInClouds

HeadInClouds Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Oh, you're supposed to keep count of how many flavors you have? My bad :) Me too!
    Have you tried Hangsen's Honey flavor? It seems quite true to me, certainly not urine (ew). Mine came from FastTech. Most of the other Hangsens I got were no go, but this one was fine. Honey, Peach, Vanilla Ice Cream, touch of brown sugar, whiff of lemon...not bad. (only the honey and peach were Hangsen flavors).

15. ut1205

ut1205 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 9, 2013
    Chattanooga, Tn, USA
    Hardest part of diy...

1) Like today, I have a bottle of Lorann's Peppermint Oil and came to the forum to find a starting place for my mix. I found everything from 1% to 20% "advertised" as being great. I have no clue where to start.

2) Making a recipe you found on the internet or this forum and finding out it taste like vomit.

3) Having a good mix that is just a little "off" then trying to fix it and screwing it up.

4) Trying to figure out which supplier's flavor is the best for juice when you numerous posters maintaining that TPA is best, no, FA is best, no, FW is best, no CP is the best................................

16. fadifafitto

fadifafitto Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2012
    Germany
    Thanks,
    that sounds like a good recipe,
    I will put Hangsen Honey on my 'to buy' list, together with Inawera honey which was recommended also,
    I have Peach, also Vanilla from Hangsen, the only non tobacco hangsen that I have, but never tried them yet though,

Cheers,

17. Levitas

Levitas Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 2, 2011
    Saint Louis
    1.) I never follow anyone's recommended %'s, though I do use them as a minor reference, i.e. This flavor is strong, I only use it at 5% (in which I'd mix it at 2% ;) )

2.) Again, I never follow anyone's recipe completely either. Not without at least testing the flavorings by themselves first.

3.) This happens more often than I can remember.

4.) Trial and error.

18. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    I've finally started learning that one, the "new flavors" part, although I do replace the ones I use up regular. Do need to start buying those in larger bottles though.

Started DIY back in June with 18 flavors... 4+ months later 3 of them still have not been tried in anything.
    Next order a month after the first I added 18 more new ones... 7 of them have still not been tried.
    My last order with new flavors included was just 3 weeks ago when I stocked up on more PG/VG, but I only added 6 more new flavors this time.... 3 of them are still waiting to be tried.
    So I'm kind of off the new flavor kick until I find out where I stand on all the ones I already have.

I was lucky to find ADV's right from the start, and keep remaking them 30ml at a time. I also do about a dozen small test batches at a time from other recipes with new flavors. There are many of those that have proved they can be ADV's for me as well. But I already have about 700ml of 15 different ADV's on hand ready to vape. So the new ones are waiting to be made in larger quantity when some of what I have on hand gets used up. With my new UC I can now make it up so fast that there is no need to have so much already premade on hand when I can make it ready to vape in such a short time period.

19. glycerol

glycerol Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2013
    Central Europe
    ruining a big batch of 250ml base with too much mint forcing you to buy another 250ml to dilute with so you kill the strong flavour, then you add some more aromas to mute it and you realize it's like 500ml of **** but still you gotta vape it since it costs a lot and you don't have other juices

20. we2rcool

we2rcool Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Iowa, IA, USA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.