Has anyone here been successful in weaning down to a lower nicotine level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GODDESS

Aug 6, 2014
United States
If so, would you share your tricks? ;)

I've been vaping for awhile and usually use a 24mg liquid. I've bought a few 12mgs but whenever I vape them I find that I get frustrated because I'm not getting the fix that I'm used to. So -- I always go back to the 24mg.

Ideally, I want to lower myself down to 6mg or less. But I feel withdrawals whenever I go lower. Has anyone done this here? If so, what are some hints or tips you can give on how to wean yourself down in a way that doesn't drive you crazy?

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I started with 24mg back in February and was using the standard Ego kit. Less than a month later, I got into dripping and rebuilding and the hit was so much stronger I had to drop the nic level. I went down to 18 for a bit, then found that by improving my builds with lower ohms, I had to drop again to 12. Now, 9+ months into vaping, I use 6mg with a splash of unflavored 12, so my nic level is probably around 8. I tried some 3mg, but didn't have the kick I like, so I'll stay at 6 for a time until I feel I am ready. Don't push yourself too fast. When you are ready, you'll know, or if you upgrade your equipment to give you a much more satisfying vape with less nicotine.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I started off at 12mg about a year ago. Quickly found that to not only be too much nicotine (keep in mind I was a 2 PAD smoker for about 2 years), but it also just impeded the flavor/added too much throat hit for my liking. I found 6mg to be MUCH more comfortable, and I've been hovering between 0-6 for the last half year or so.

Usually I'll vape 0-3 once my actual day has started, I'll just puff on it here and there for the flavor/for the distraction. I'll switch to 6mg either in the morning or at night, or when I'm actually looking to feel some kind of nicotine buzz.

Boiler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
The land of sky blue waters
I dropped from 24mg to negligible in about 2+ months.
I started dropping 5mg/week, then by halves.

I experienced no cravings except a little on the first day. That really surprised me. It may have helped that I had been vaping over a year before I started lowering my nicotine, so cigarettes were all but forgotten.

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Pretty standard progression for me: 24 mg (very briefly, on cigalikes), 18 mg (in clearos w/ egos), 12 mg (in kayfuns w/mechs), 6 mg (in dual coil RDA's on reos).

Note that each downstep accompanied a change in gear - essentially, the more efficient, the less nic concentration was required to have the same (or even more intense) experience. I'm also not going through double (or 4x) the juice, so my overall nic intake has fallen throughout this period.

So, gear is a huge piece of the puzzle.

The other thing I did was put a bit of either menthol or spearmint in my juice when I made a nic adjustment (obviously, I chose juices for which those flavours were a decent compliment). These are 'felt', not just tasted, and they helped maintain the sensation of higher nic juice while I transitioned (about a week). The one exception to that was the last adjustment which required absolutely no transition - 6 mg in dual coil RDA will absolutely hit as hard as 12 mg in a kayfun in most cases.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I started at 36mg... then cut it to 32mg with vg... then 28mg etc. etc... I'm at 6mg now, but I mostly use sub ohm coils with rayon wicks, so the nic hits a little harder than it would in a clearo or carto...
BUT... I was at 36mg for about 3 1/2 years before I ever even started weaning down on my nic level...

The only real trick is: Don't rush yourself. Let your body get used to the lower dose before you step down again...

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Redruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2014
Crawley, England
Hello Goddess 24mg - 12mg is a big jump try 18mg and if that doesn't do it for you mix it with some 24 mg of the same flavour.

I'm still using 24mg but will cut down slowly at some time. I'm not ready to do that yet, I'm only one month in. But this is how my friend who has been vaping a year did it and he recommended it to me. It sounds like sense so that's what I shall do when the time comes.

Don't rush yourself, it's not a race. As long as you do what you need to do to stay off the stinky sticks, be pleased with yourself.

Happy vaping :)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Well, I wouldn't call it a "trick", but:

I usually carry at LEAST two setups, more often three (or four) depending on my day. I do that because I like to switch flavors throughout the day.

Now.

I started at 24 mg, and after several months, I started buying 18 mg e-liquid. I would then have one 18 mg rig, and one or two at 24 mg. I'd try to use the 18 mg rig as often as I could during the day.

A few months after that, I was on mostly 18 mg with a few 24 mg e-liquids here and there.

Now after 15 months of vaping, I'm starting to add in 12 mg e-liquids.

I'm going slowly, but it seems to be working for me.

Just pace yourself and listen to what your body is telling you.

Cowboy192

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2014
Cardiff, uk
cargocollective.com
I haven't even thought about it, I smoked 30-40 a day for 23years, I went straight to 12mg on my nauties, although I use 6mg in my kayfun, but my thoughts on it are simple, it wasn't the nicotine I was worried about, it was all the crap that I got along with it I was trying to get away from so I'm in no rush to cut down, I'm happy for caffeine and nicotine to be my vices.

VBdev

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
I think nicotine gets a pretty bad guilt by association with all the other harmul stuff in cigarettes reputation. It is a stimulant and sure it's better to reduce, but don't let it jeopardize a successful transition to vaping. It is not the primary health concern with smoking; far from it, and it occurs naturally in several common foods. Plus, newbies aren't very efficient at absorbing the nic that's in there so I say aim high early, you'll know when you got too much then just back off a little. I will reduce one day but I'm really not stressing over it. I do have some 6mg I've been vaping as compared to my reg 18mg and it doesn't turn me into a raging lunatic any more than usual. I'll cut down at some point but if there's any hint of cig urges, which I don't anticipate, I'd pop right back up.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Smoked for 43 years and had to use 24mg to completely get off the cigarettes. Month later dropped to 16/18mg because the 24 was too strong. !6/18 became too strong and dropped to 12mg, then 6mg. By then I had long been doing DIY and started dropping 1mg per batch down to 0mg. First day or two I vaped a bit more but overall it was surprisingly easy. Several months later I tried a little nic out of curiosity and man, did I ever feel better. Turns out I need just a tad to run smoothly. Didn't even realize it was the nicotine until I tried it again.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    How Often do you vape? How Many Ml a day? That all factors in.

When it seemed that I was going to be a casual all day vaper, it was easy to cut back some. 12mg was a bit of a challenge, and that was after a few months.

You'll need a Good topper and some power to give a good vape and satisfy you.

Last edited:

TomfromBC

Feb 6, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Started with 24 mg after smoking for 40 years, but that only lasted a couple of months. Then I started getting 16-18 mg (depending on where i shopped) and that lasted for maybe another 6 or 8 months. Now I'm at 12 mg and have been for a few months now. I feel no need to drop down any more at present, but I plan on getting into rebuildables soon so who knows? Keep in mind that I've been off cigs for almost 2 years now and I've just been dropping the nic level when it felt right for me. No rush, no cigs, all good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread