Has your Dentist noticed improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have read at least one instance where someone went in for a cleaning and their dentist and hygienist noticed a marked improvement in their dental health.

I went in for my checkup today and the hygienist made the same statement. She asked what I was doing different and I mentioned changing to the ecig. She said that my gums looked great with nice pink appearance and good blood flow. Plaque was minimal and obviously I was doing something different because the slight gum recession I had before had grown back up to normal and I had good seals against my teeth. Yay!

She told me that she could usually tell if someone was a smoker because the gums take on a slightly grayish pink appearance. Mine used to be that way according to my records and they aren't now.

I explained Ecigs, how they worked, and gave them a couple of websites, including this one, to check out. It was obvious that they were impressed with the difference and they agreed that I should keep on doing what I'm doing and they would check into Ecigs to see what else they could find out.

Now I haven't been to the dentist yet, but I have noticed my gums are bleeding a lot and more sensitive since I have started the e cig, and quit smoking. Any one else have this issue? Is it that they are merely rejuvenating/ healing?
It is kinda gross brushing my teeth and getting a mouth full of blood.
~Missy

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yup - my hygienist said the same thing - gums & other soft tissues look much healthier (ie - pinker).

I've looked at my gums in the mirror after my checkup and I see what the hygenist was talking about. There are no little grayish borders where my gums meet my teeth like there used to be! It's all pink.

"Your gums are Looking good in the neighborhood!" was the exact line she used in telling me about their condition. Then, she explained why after I told her about Ecigs and reduced analogs. It seems that something besides nicotine serves to shrink the capillaries that supply blood flow to the gums.

My dentist was also impressed and noticed the difference when he came in for the post exam and wanted to know about ecigs.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Now I haven't been to the dentist yet, but I have noticed my gums are bleeding a lot and more sensitive since I have started the e cig, and quit smoking. Any one else have this issue? Is it that they are merely rejuvenating/ healing?
~Missy

You might want to visit the dentist and have them take a look. Gingivitis has that symptom. A little vitamin C (orange juice) will help.

I guess it could be a reaction to PG or VG. I got little ulcers on my tongue at first when I started vaping. It was PG irritation. Changing to VG helped and it subsided. Anyone else have an idea?

pipskicks

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
So Cal
~Missy

Look at the withdrawal symptoms that is one. Don't want to give medical advice and I don't know how much is normal...

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
~Missy

The way my hygienist described it, smoking pretty much kills blood flow to your gums. That's why almost all smokers' gums have a gray-ish, dead quality about them. But when smoking is stopped, your gums start to come alive again and heal. So initial bleeding is normal.

At my first cleaning (after 5 months of vaping), she said I had quite a bit of bleeding. But she was still thrilled at the improvements and said the bleeding was OK. It was actually a good thing in this case because blood was flowing to my gums again. At my next cleaning (after a full year of vaping), the bleeding was under control and my teeth and gums were perfectly normal.

Having said all of that, if it continues and/or causes you great concern, see your dentist just in case.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US

~Missy

This is probably due to improved blood flow to your gums after quitting cigarettes. As the tissue repairs itself, the bleeding should gradually go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread