Heads up on NiZn batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
If I don't get called in, I'm going to put these through the paces today.
A new atty design??? Put high-drain to the test??? Gonna shorten the coil for less resistance? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

No, not quite. Need to run some baseline tests on the batteries first... and I forgot my tubing cutters & copper foil and left them at work. A workaround may be possible tho. If theory holds in practice, it will be heresy to some folks. Shortening the coil would just make a bad design that much worse, so that is a no-go. So sorry, I'm afraid you will need to wait a little longer. I'll start testing after I've cooled down a bit. Needed to work today and it's HOT where I was.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Has it been a little longer yet? :)

I've got 2 of the NiZn's in a 2xAA box. I've got it rigged, so I'm not posting a pic. :) I'm using a E2 510 carto from Awesome Vapor(2.5 ohms) & this thing is doing great. It metered 3.8v(at the connector) when I put them in. It doesn't have a major throat hit, but I'm using unaltered(no VG) 11mg NewPort liquid. The vapor is great! I can't find a 3x AA box or I'd try that. I've also tried this with an LR 901 atty, same results. These have definately got potential with lower resistance attys & cartos. It's not that great with a regular carto/atty. I've got to try boosting these then I'll figure out how the build will go. I'm impressed. Great find on these!

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Yup, it's been a little longer and the test was successful. Would've been far more informative if I hadn't left the ammeter @ work, but such is life. Little boogers pack a surprising punch.

Yes, these batteries have good output and your test setup should work gangbusters on a really low res atty..... Now if I could just find some decent wicking materials. Tried burning the coating off some fiberglass sheathing. What a stench! I've been watching for the past couple years as component supply has dried up, but things are getting ridiculous. Gotta see if there's an Ace Hardware open today! It's about my last hope short of taking those last 2 analogs I have and using the filter fibers to weave a wick. Ha! A useful purpose for a cigarette! lol

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
I'm sure they do, but I've not found any locally. Did locate decent fiberglass @ autozone tho. Zippo @ Lowes. They just carry the stuff calculated by the beancounters to sell. Ace may have the silica. That would be preferable. The way I plan to do it, there's decreased risk of overheating the wick anyway. Sounds nice in theory and theories often fail to correspond with fact.

One of my goals (almost requirements) when doing this stuff is to try my utmost to use local and common materials. After all, what will people do if the FDA is successful in stopping further e-cig parts shipments? And I suspect they will be. Ergo, I will NOT buy connectors, atty parts, etc. from the "normal sources" unless it's impossible to do without them. And it isn't.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
I agree. You've got to check these out though. 901 manual battery charging adapter. They are only $.99 each & have a battery connector, atty connector, and a tube that is about an inch or so long. Yeah, it's 901, but you're going to build your own atty right? You can build on these threads. And, there are connectors @ Rat Shack that fit 901 stuff. Another neat little known fact, chrome 5mm led holders have the same threads that the 901s have(at least the ones I got for almost nothing off of eBay do). :) I saw, in here I think, someone built a battery connector out of one. Just screw the atty on & go. Also, 901/808 have the same threads. Now that you've discovered a regular battery that works, a complete homemade e-cig made of local parts is feasible.:thumbs:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Would love to know if anyone here has had similar issues with the batteries failing early.
Nice find duby.

Seems to me the CPF experiences are more than enough, as they have been using them for quite a while under various conditions.

This is the most damning, from PowerGenix themselves:
Fault Conditions

* Total charge time exceeds 2.5 hrs
* Temperature of the cell rises by more than 15C
* Voltage is less than 1.6V

Stop Charge if the any of the following conditions occur:

* Total charge time exceeds 2.5 hrs
* Temperature of the cell rises by more than 15ºC
* Temperature of the cell exceeds 40ºC
* Voltage is less than 1.6V
So if used in a 3 cell combo once you drop below 4.8V, the problems start. Not a very viable chemistry for e-cig use I'm afraid.

The beauty of the Puck's 4 cell NiMH approach was the ability to have hours of ~ 4.5ish volt vaping and not have to worry about destroying the batteries when they quit.

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Seems to me the CPF experiences are more than enough, as they have been using them for quite a while under various conditions.

QUOTE]

Please forgive me if I don't just drop the experiment and toss them in the trash. I started off today with a 2 hour chainvaping session and have been going at it pretty hard when I got the chance. Bats read 1.704, 1.708, & 1.699. Under load for all 3-4.55V. Yeah, obviously useless and I should toss them, but I enjoy pain. And Li-ions are guaranteed to last how long and do what if they fail catastrophically? And NiMh cells do what if reverse polarized? They all have their good and bad points.

I couldn't be doing this because I doubt the "experts" on the internet who may have their own reasons to promote or trash a given product even tho they haven't tested it themselves, could I? Nah they are always right. I just like to waste money and time confirming their wisdom for myself. If I experience cell failures or loss of capacity, you are sure gonna hear about it! This is way early for me to draw any conclusions, given that they are working well thusfar. What I want to know is how do they work 2 months from now, if at all.

It's the point of the exercise.

Incidentally, you need to go back & reread the datasheet. You quoted fault conditions in the charging proceedure.

Last edited:

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix
Loosen your underwear will ya? And FWIW when it comes to batteries and chargers the fanatics at the CPForums are THE experts.

Your deflections from the real issues they presented ring hollow and I don't have to re-read anything, < 1.6V is a crucial voltage anyway you cut it with these batts.

Oh come now, I enjoy a little rhetorical fun & games from time to time.

And I read the datasheet and feedback on CPF prior to embarking on the adventure.

Speaking of the datasheet, yes, there is an issue with 1.6V during the CHARGING procedure, which typically involves applying some voltage & current (neither given on the datasheet). All else is speculative. Yes, you need to reread the datasheet and think about what it DOESN'T give.

But hey, if you think it is worthless to report anymore because you know the full skinny and the CPF folks are always right, I can get behind that. Less work for me while trying to be helpful.

Whaddayathink? Carry on, or give it up? I'll go with it either way.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
The one thing that pops out at me immediately is that the "fast charger" for these takes five hours to charge the suckers. I use nimh in my mods and my "fast charger" charges them in fifteen minutes.

But, how long do 2 of them last with a 2.5 ohm carto? I just got 24 hours(- 5 hrs of sleep) of heavy vaping out of a pair of NiZns.

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
The one thing that pops out at me immediately is that the "fast charger" for these takes five hours to charge the suckers. I use nimh in my mods and my "fast charger" charges them in fifteen minutes.

When NiMH were FIRST introduced the "fast chargers" were not 15 minutes.
The question here is how well they will work for our purposes, not how long it will take for the charge. There's only one company (as far as I've seen) even making NiZn batteries and they're only making one or two sizes (aa and I've heard aaa is coming, maybe? avail already). I believe the "fast charge" times will decrease as more people buy them and more companies produce them.

Nobody: I, for one, have been following this thread and am very interested in hearing about your findings. If they truly last, and really get close to the time Sci says he's getting with them on a LR 510 atty, and they will be avail locally; That means I wont have to order my mod batts from China and wait on them for 2-3 weeks, and I'll be able to buy everything but batt connectors locally. And, most importantly, I won't run the risk of blowing off my face/hand off if I mess up and short the batt, like I do with Li-Ions (yay!).

That's my thought, if you do stop updating us, I guess I'll have to go buy a set to try before long... and Willy will have to tell me I must be stupid for using something that someone on CPF said wouldn't work....
While CPF is a great resource for battery/charger info; I, personally, don't need to use them for anything candle power related. I would like feedback on how well they really work in a PV, not a flashlight or laser pointer.

-=BoB=-

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky
The question here is how well they will work for our purposes, not how long it will take for the charge. There's only one company (as far as I've seen) even making NiZn batteries and they're only making one or two sizes (aa and I've heard aaa is coming, maybe? avail already). I believe the "fast charge" times will decrease as more people buy them and more companies produce them.

Appears to have already happened :D

Amazon.com: PowerGenix ZR-PGX1HRAA-4B 1 Hour Quick Charger with 4 AA 1.6v NiZn Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

Nobodyatall

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Phoenix

Nobody: I, for one, have been following this thread and am very interested in hearing about your findings. If they truly last, and really get close to the time Sci says he's getting with them on a LR 510 atty, and they will be avail locally; That means I wont have to order my mod batts from China and wait on them for 2-3 weeks, and I'll be able to buy everything but batt connectors locally. And, most importantly, I won't run the risk of blowing off my face/hand off if I mess up and short the batt, like I do with Li-Ions (yay!).

That's my thought, if you do stop updating us, I guess I'll have to go buy a set to try before long... and Willy will have to tell me I must be stupid for using something that someone on CPF said wouldn't work....
While CPF is a great resource for battery/charger info; I, personally, don't need to use them for anything candle power related. I would like feedback on how well they really work in a PV, not a flashlight or laser pointer.

-=BoB=-

Thanks, It's nice to know others are watching.

Of course, with any new product one wonders if the hype is true and what are the "gotchas". The gotcha with these, according to CPF anyway, is they have some sort of reduced life if too much charge is drawn. But checking other forums, specifically photography where we have a bunch of guys who live or die depending if their equipment works or not, I've seen nothing about it... yet. *shrugs* It left me with doubt, especially after seeing some... errr... innacuracies passed of as knowledge and hearsay as experience.

So far so good. And I've stepped things up. I'm drawing 6A out of a pair of them in PARALLEL (Originally said series. Sorry about that!) and I can tell it is working them measurably. Let's give them a week of this and see how they measure up. Meanwhile, I'm aware that Sci is watching his bats even closer than I am.

We can confidently conclude that they /work when new and very well too.

Currently only the AAs are available to us with the AAAs coming towards the end of the year. The Sub-Cs are to be used in powertools & vehicles. It will be interesting to see what vehicles they end up going into. I haven't been too impressed with the list sofar. It all seems to be fairly minor stuff. Still, I'd LOVE to have a few Sub-Cs to play with. They have remarkable current capacity.

The Europeans, on the otherhand are to be forcefed NiZn to replace NiCd if I understand correctly. If there are any serious problems, one would guess they will see it firsthand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread