• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Health Canada getting into Vaping.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Received this from a Pharmacist that does work for our people. FNIHB is covering the cost but only for limited time under a doctor's prescription. Thin edge of the wedge???

Nicotine inhaler

This product provides a variable dosing delivery of nicotine. It also mimics in the hand mouth interaction of the cigarette. No other product has these properties. The patch provides fixed dosing over the period it is worn. While lozenges and gums provide variable dosing, they do not mimic the smoking ritual. The impact of the hand-to-mouth ritual imitation on the cessation rates has not been studied.
The inhaler is used over 20 minutes per dose releasing approximately 4mg of which 2 mgs are absorbed. Nicotine is deposited in the mouth and absorption is slower than with cigarettes.
Negative effects include coughing and throat irritation, headache and dyspepsia among others. Most of these occur at the onset of treatment.

Dosing:
Initial: no less than 6 doses per day for 3 to six weeks (max 12). A max of 12-16 is recommended and titration is targeted to avoid withdrawal or overdose symptoms
Gradual reduction: titrated reduction is recommended after the initial period of 6 to 12 weeks.

Inhaler.jpg

Last edited:

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
The inhaler is used over 20 minutes per dose releasing approximately 4mg of which 2 mgs are absorbed. Nicotine is deposited in the mouth and absorption is slower than with cigarettes.

Looks like it's not an electrical device, but rather some sort of passive inhaler that works on suction to aerosolize liquid nicotine. From the description, it works more like a spray, putting the nicotine into the mouth for absorbtion into the mucus membranes , rather than an actual vaporizer.

But that's just my interpretation. It's often hard to tell with these "medical devices" how they really work from the marketing material. Big Pharma tends to play these new developments "close to the vest"--even in places like Canada where the State pays for treatments...

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Like everyone else said, that's the Nicorette inhaler; NICORETTE® Inhaler – Stop smoking with NICORETTE® nicotine inhaler.

Nicorette alters their prices to be almost *exactly* match the cost of a PAD smoker, when the price of cigarettes goes up, so do their patches, gum and inhalers. I guess that's capitalism at it's finest, but it always kind of disgusted me.

I tried that years ago and did stop smoking for a week or two. I'd say after vaping, it's the best alternative personally. It's basically nicotine on a sponge, in the tube with menthol and tastes like inhaling mentholy chalk .. mmm.

It is interesting that it's covered though. I've heard since champix came out, nicorette products stopped being covered, since it was a cheaper alternative. :facepalm:

Some hospitals here give out the inhalers though, if you can't get outside.

Last edited:

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Like everyone else said, that's the Nicorette inhaler; NICORETTE® Inhaler – Stop smoking with NICORETTE® nicotine inhaler.

Nicorette alters their prices to be almost *exactly* match the cost of a PAD smoker, when the price of cigarettes goes up, so do their patches, gum and inhalers. I guess that's capitalism at it's finest, but it always kind of disgusted me.

I tried that years ago and did stop smoking for a week or two. I'd say after vaping, it's the best alternative personally. It's basically nicotine on a sponge, in the tube with menthol and tastes like inhaling mentholy chalk .. mmm.

It is interesting that it's covered though. I've heard since champix came out, nicorette products stopped being covered, since it was a cheaper alternative. :facepalm:

Some hospitals here give out the inhalers though, if you can't get outside.

In the Non-Aboriginal population the percentage of smokers is < 20% whereas in the Aboriginal and Inuit populations it is mopre like >60%. SOmething's got to give

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
My Champix wasn't covered. >:[

$70 bucks right in the toilet - seriously, because that's where the pills went when my partner saw the list of side effects lol.

Maybe if people start getting the nicorette inhalers covered though, they'll be more open to vaping

Exactly why we got to start talking to my brothers and sisters

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
My Champix wasn't covered. >:[

$70 bucks right in the toilet - seriously, because that's where the pills went when my partner saw the list of side effects lol.

I have a friend who just started Champix at the end of October. The little bit I read about it terrified me, and I talked to her at length about it and tried DESPERATELY to get her to try vaping.... went on and on about how great it is and how well it's going for me, but she was quite determined to go the Pharma-pill route. I'm horrified and worried....

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
I have a friend who just started Champix at the end of October. The little bit I read about it terrified me, and I talked to her at length about it and tried DESPERATELY to get her to try vaping.... went on and on about how great it is and how well it's going for me, but she was quite determined to go the Pharma-pill route. I'm horrified and worried....

SloHand was on CHantix and it got so bad his family pleaded with him to start smoking again

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Last edited:

Qcaj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2012
Calgary
A colleague of mine worked with the Tłı̨chǫ community for many years, and I remember him saying basically the same thing as you, Projectguy.

I really don't want to be a toe-stepper here, but I'm totally disgusted at the way marginalized groups in this country are swept under the rug, or the attitude that we just have to throw money at problems until they go away, without any regard for self-leadership or education or practical use. </rant over>

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
A colleague of mine worked with the Tłı̨chǫ community for many years, and I remember him saying basically the same thing as you, Projectguy.

I really don't want to be a toe-stepper here, but I'm totally disgusted at the way marginalized groups in this country are swept under the rug, or the attitude that we just have to throw money at problems until they go away, without any regard for self-leadership or education or practical use. </rant over>

I'm the Chairman of Anishnawbe Health Toronto a community health centre for Aboriginal people in the GTA. It is now one of my goals to get as many people vaping as possible. My Executive Director had been a 45 year smoker he's now vaping a LT v.2 with a Stardust and has quit the stinks. We've now got about 4 or 5 vapers on a staff of about 100 (obviously not all smokers).

One at a time

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I did Champix and had no issues, even quit smoking for a year. Every medication has side effects.

I'm glad it helped you and that you didn't have any issues.... but here's why this topic knots me up....

Champix has been acknowledged to have myriad serious side-effects, ranging from inconvenient to downright dangerous, but it's allowed, even pushed. Vaping is currently discouraged because it *might* have side-effects that by comparison are a walk in the park. It makes my head spin.... Simple, natural, relatively harmless things get villified and controlled, while lab-concocted poisons are approved, pushed and even subsidized. *sigh*..... I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm the Chairman of Anishnawbe Health Toronto a community health centre for Aboriginal people in the GTA. It is now one of my goals to get as many people vaping as possible. My Executive Director had been a 45 year smoker he's now vaping a LT v.2 with a Stardust and has quit the stinks. We've now got about 4 or 5 vapers on a staff of about 100 (obviously not all smokers).

One at a time

Sweet! Good for you, Projectguy! And they'll tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on, and so on....

Starrlamia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
Ontario, Canada
To be fair we assume that vaping is safe but there really is no concluding and proven research that it is. I don't agree with it being banned but I do agree with the fact that more research is needed before it can be endorsed by any large organisation. Champix may have a lot of side effects but at least they are well known and individuals can make the choice to take it and truly be informed. At this point the safety of vaping is mostly anecdotal.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread