Heart Palpitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

0siris

Jul 20, 2011
Asheville, NC
I think the important point here is to not blame the vaping for causing heart palpitations. The nicotine in the ecig fluid is absorbed by the body a lot more efficiently than via analog because there are less particulates to bind to the nicotine and block its absorption into the bloodstream. So, as everyone else has said, use less nicotine or vape less, but now maybe everyone understands why its happening.

laserjik

Apr 1, 2010
chicago
If it started once you started vaping then the chances are you might need to lower your nic level, but if your that one in a million chance then it could be from a more serious health issue. I don't want anything on my head so I would suggest you see a doctor for that chance, but lower your nic at the same time to see if it goes away, or better, vape way less. If it stops then you found your problem if not, then seeing a doctor is needed.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I got occasional irregular heartbeats when I smoked too much in too short a period. And I got them when I vaped too much in too short a time period. I also get the nicotine headache when i vape too much and I am definitely not a headache person - never had headaches, but every time I overvaped I got one and if I vaped more than that I could get the couple of irregular heartbeats. My solution was to lower my nicotine level. Then when I got comfortable on that level I lowered it again. Now I can overvape when I want and I have to really really overdo it to get the headache and I rarely get the irregular heartbeat.

My personal theory is although the nicotine supposedly isn't absorbed as well as with smoking, I think the way we vape more often makes it compound with overlapping amounts of nicotine and maybe there is even film from vapor hanging around and releasing a bit more over time.

Re PG - it's possibly PG delivers it better. It definitely lets nicotine irritation through better. Hospitals use PG vapor to deliver inhaled medications.

Last edited:

kjay

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2011
Norridgewock Maine
I also have been experiencing this... but heart palpitations can happen for many reasons. I experience them once in a great while due to hormonal reasons and sometimes anxiety. I'm unsure if I am getting them now because of my nic level 18-24mg or anxiety from quitting smoking. I'm hoping whatever the reason its just temporary...very annoying! Hang in there...anything is better than smoking!

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
Just a quick question. Did you smoke before you vaped? I'm just curious here.

I would check with your doctor. Honestly it may be you are just now noticing the irregular heart rate. Could be sign of something bad, could just be your bodies reaction to the Nicotine. Really nobody can make an empirical diagnosis without putting their hands on you and checking you OUT!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I began vaping 2 months ago on 36 mg and am now vaping 20 mg. In the evening I switch to 10 mg because of sleep related issues with the 20 mg. I had no problems with the 36 mg. A few days ago I decided to try some 36 mg I had left over. Almost instant headache and heart palpitations occurred. These went away when I went back to my 20 mg. As others have suggested it might also be a good idea to see a Doctor. Although you may lose some flavor, as a test, you could try diluting a small quantity of your juice with PG and VG so it's a lower nic level just to see if it is the high nic content that is causing these issues.
Good Luck, Vapoor.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
The last year I smoked I was plagued by arrhythmia. When it first happened it scared the *%#@ out of me so bad I went to the emergency room late one night when it just wouldn't stop. My blood presure shot up to 187 (normally 130) and my heart felt like it was going to leap out of my chest. I stopped all caffeine and tried to cut down on the cigs(almost impossible) but it would start again. Then I found ecigs. That helped a bit (@18mg) but it was still happening occasionally. That's when I started to lower my nic level through DIY. Two months into vapeing I started to drop my mg per ml and the first thing I noticed was the bouts of arrhythmia were becomming less and less frequent. I've been vapeing for around 10 months now and nic free almost 4 months and not one episode of arrhythmia in the past 4 months. So here's to those people that say. "It's not the Nic that's bad for you it's just like caffeine" I say horse #@*%. It is a stimulant and it can be harmful to some people in low dosages, period. I say if you are having any of these symptoms you should get off or at the very least lower your nicotine. Not trying to preach just trying to interject some common sense.

The symptoms of nicotine poisoning include the following (Horan, 1977):

• Nausea – rapid onset
• Salivation – rapid onset
• Abdominal pain
• Vomiting
• Severe diarrhoea
• Headache
• Dizziness
• Disturbed hearing and vision
• Mental confusion
• Muscle weakness
• Hypertension
• Slow and then rapid heart rate
• Cardiac arrhythmias
• Loss of consciousness
• And rarely, death

The_Jerkstore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For what it's worth, as someone else mentioned, Heart palps are also a side affect of quitting smoking. There's a lot more to a cigarette addiction than just nicotine. So even though you're vaping you could still be going through withdraws. I'm sure high nic level juice does play at part in it as well. I just don't think it's the only issue if you've just given up analogs though.

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
Im a former drug addict in recovery for the last 3 years & I've been plagued with heart palpitations and arrhythmias since i was about 18. Im now 31. Most likely from smoking and heavy drug use. since i stoped smoking started vaping about 10 months ago, the arrhythmias have decreased dramatically! I've had EKG's and recently had a huge batch of cardiac and circulation tests done, all showing no visible problems. I'm pretty much a 36mg nic user, but i was a two pack a day smoker for prolly half of the 17 years i smoked. It still happens from time to time but i feel like the severity and frequency of them has decreased at leaste 80% if not more. But when they do still happen I've noticed its at times when i have heavy congestion in my chest and lungs and when i clear my lungs they subside. so, It's always a possibility that it has more to do with vapor(liquid in your lungs), then the nic or the chemicals.... im no expert, but i just thought id share my experiences to offer you another possibility. anything that causes your heart to act funny, you should stop until you get to the bottom of it!

Last edited:

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
I can attribute this too. I have sleep apnea myself and hardly use my cpap cause i hate it...but I do notice a difference of a night of heavy snoring, my heart will typically flutter...and one thing I have noticed is that my sleep apnea has gotten a bit worse since I've started vaping. My wife could normally sleep through my snoring, but she has said as of late I am really loud...

There is another culprit which might make it feel like your heart is fluttering when its not: esophagus twitching. sounds weird, but Ive notice at times that my pulse is fine when I feel the "fluttering" and there are people that have done many tests ekg, stress tests all coming back normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread