Helios Dual Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYBrandon

Dec 8, 2013
United States
I've been trying to rebuild my Helios with a dual coil for the past 3 days or so. I seem to get dry hits very quickly even if the coil is still soaked. I wrapped it tightly enough and made sure the coils were glowing evenly. I even tried to stuff more silica under the coil to hopefully help, but it was minimal. I used a 26g with 3mm silica wick and moved the coils to the center to try and burn more evenly. Any suggestions on the Helios? I'm only looking to work with silica right now.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
It's really weird... Right now, my MVP doesn't want to read it. But the previous ones were whacky. My last build was like 0.1 ohms... I'm running it on my Nemesis Clone. And maybe it could be my coils are too tight. I always thought that was a good thing :p

O. M. G.

Stop what you're doing. You know that dual coils make HALF the resistance of a single coil, right? They don't DOUBLE it. If you're getting .1Ω coils, then you must be making some seriously low Ω coils to begin with. What batteries are you even using? F1vefour is right, what you're doing can make for a really bad time.

SecGuru

Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm using Sony 30s. I've been wrapping dual coils on my nimbus at .4, but for some reason it shows up either as 0.1 or NON on my Helios when I attach it to my MVP. It could be the Helios being dumb, but I don't know. I just need to know a good dual coil setup for it.

Start with two coils that are 1.6 ohms or more each. Even then, I don't know if the MVP will fire it (I don't own one - try the manual). If you are using a mech, you're going to have problems less than .5. I would shoot for 2.3 so you stay above the 1.2 cutoff a lot of VVs have. On a mech, no less than .7. Maybe someone else can chime in on the MVP? I would stay way away from sub ohm coils until you read up and learn what you are doing.

Last edited:

cghildreth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Central Texas
You need to get a good multimeter. An ohm checker is also a very nice tool to rebuild on, but you should regularly check the ohm checker against your known good multimeter. Your Sony 30A batteries are not truly rated for 30A either - more like 15A and a bit less for true safety. 0.1 ohm is plain silly on just about any battery useful for vaping (perhaps some of the super high drain 26650 batteries MIGHT be able to handle it).

0.4 ohms at 4.2 V is about 10.5A. This would be about the bottom end of what I would vape on anything other than new 1500 mah MNKEs. And I wouldn't use any batteries that are not highly tested and highly regarded after the testing (e.g. I stick with AW IMR 1600 mah batteries pretty much exclusively). MNKEs that are in good shape can probably handle 0.3 ohms fine, but I still wouldn't go any lower. Keep in mind that as your batteries age (which happens very quickly with low ohm builds), your batteries internal resistance goes up, effectively lowering the safe discharge rate.

Study up on ohm's law. Study up on battery c ratings and how c rating translates to safe discharge amperage. Watch a couple of videos on batteries exploding because of too high of a discharge rate. Study up more on ohm's law and battery discharge rates. And for goodness sake be careful! This stuff is dangerous. Rant over.

Start with two coils that are 1.6 ohms or more each. Even then, I don't know if the MVP will fire it (I don't own one - try the manual). If you are using a mech, you're going to have problems less than .5. I would shoot for 2.3 so you stay above the 1.2 cutoff a lot of VVs have. On a mech, no less than .7. Maybe someone else can chime in on the MVP? I would stay way away from sub ohm coils until you read up and learn what you are doing.

Oh I meant I used the MVP just to check the ohms, not fire on it. I'm using my Nemesis to fire it. I usual do 3 wraps on my nimbus and it comes to around .4, but for some reason it shows up as 0.0 or NON on my MVP when I wrap the coils on my Helios.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Last edited:

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
I run a dual 4/5 wrap of 22g... runs about .16 ohms.

I don't run silica but with cotton I get about 4-5 big rips before it starts to get dry. Are you doubling (or tripling?) your silica over on itself? That in itself should hold enough juice for at least a couple rips. Please post pics of your build, that would also help.

1526279_10201238141941269_570259808_n.jpg

I haven't touched it in days because I got tired of wasting material on it. I've been trying to tweak it around to get rid of the dryburns, but no luck. Should I have the coils as close as possible to the posts or should i leave some space between it? And should I wrap the coils a lot closer? All the little tips would help. I might actually just go pick up some cotton yarns called Peaches and Creme and wrap it up.

I run a dual 4/5 wrap of 22g... runs about .16 ohms.

I don't run silica but with cotton I get about 4-5 big rips before it starts to get dry. Are you doubling (or tripling?) your silica over on itself? That in itself should hold enough juice for at least a couple rips. Please post pics of your build, that would also help.

Btw, how do you usually get your coils in the center? Do you just bend part of it get it through the out posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread