Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
View attachment 291432

I haven't touched it in days because I got tired of wasting material on it. I've been trying to tweak it around to get rid of the dryburns, but no luck. Should I have the coils as close as possible to the posts or should i leave some space between it? And should I wrap the coils a lot closer? All the little tips would help. I might actually just go pick up some cotton yarns called Peaches and Creme and wrap it up.

Here's my usual build on my Helios, which is always a wonderful vape for me.

2.5mm silica looped, 5 wraps of 30g Kanthal for each coil, gets me around 0.7 ohms if I recall. If you're doing standard coils, try to make them as close to the posts as possible without them touching. Those long legs work in microcoils, but with silica I've always had to make my coils closer to the posts. Also make sure the coils are at about the same height as the airholes. Sometimes I have to nudge my coils up a millimeter or two to get them at the correct height, otherwise the hits can be nasty. Also, don't be afraid to pack that silica in there... less is more with cotton, but when using silica, use as much as you want. The Helios has a huge juice well when you consider the height of the posts and airholes, so I often like to make longer wicks and tuck the rest underneath the coils themselves. It holds a lot more juice this way. And with looped silica, it makes it a lot easier to tidier to clean without those fraying edges.

When I first got my Helios, I couldn't get it quite right either... now it's easily my most reliable dripper, and the easiest to setup (I say that having owned a Trident and a Nimbus). Keep at it, the Helios is one of the best drippers once you get the method down! If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll take a few pictures of a fresh build for you. :)

Here's my usual build on my Helios, which is always a wonderful vape for me.

2.5mm silica looped, 5 wraps of 30g Kanthal for each coil, gets me around 0.7 ohms if I recall. If you're doing standard coils, try to make them as close to the posts as possible without them touching. Those long legs work in microcoils, but with silica I've always had to make my coils closer to the posts. Also make sure the coils are at about the same height as the airholes. Sometimes I have to nudge my coils up a millimeter or two to get them at the correct height, otherwise the hits can be nasty. Also, don't be afraid to pack that silica in there... less is more with cotton, but when using silica, use as much as you want. The Helios has a huge juice well when you consider the height of the posts and airholes, so I often like to make longer wicks and tuck the rest underneath the coils themselves. It holds a lot more juice this way. And with looped silica, it makes it a lot easier to tidier to clean without those fraying edges.

When I first got my Helios, I couldn't get it quite right either... now it's easily my most reliable dripper, and the easiest to setup (I say that having owned a Trident and a Nimbus). Keep at it, the Helios is one of the best drippers once you get the method down! If you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll take a few pictures of a fresh build for you. :)

Spot on, thanks for the rich info. Can you elaborate on what a "looped" silica is? I tried putting a good amount of wick under the coil, but it seems like there's never enough to the point where I can lift the coils to the airholes and have the bottom of it filled with wick. It's just a little gap there. I guess I'll find some way to wrap it in there sometime. Pictures or videos would help a lot. Thanks

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Spot on, thanks for the rich info. Can you elaborate on what a "looped" silica is? I tried putting a good amount of wick under the coil, but it seems like there's never enough to the point where I can lift the coils to the airholes and have the bottom of it filled with wick. It's just a little gap there. I guess I'll find some way to wrap it in there sometime. Pictures or videos would help a lot. Thanks

You just take a single strand of silica and wrap it over itself, making a U shape, and wrap the coil around/closer to the two free ends. Using 2.5mm (and even 3mm) looped I can usually bend the rest of the wick under the coils. I've got the sleepy shakes at the moment, making it hard to build any good coils, but tomorrow after work I'll build mine and post a few pictures.

You just take a single strand of silica and wrap it over itself, making a U shape, and wrap the coil around/closer to the two free ends. Using 2.5mm (and even 3mm) looped I can usually bend the rest of the wick under the coils. I've got the sleepy shakes at the moment, making it hard to build any good coils, but tomorrow after work I'll build mine and post a few pictures.

Oh, the way some shop taught me was similar except I wrap the coils on the bunny ears, cut the two ends after and put the single loop under. I'll try it when I get some wires. Thanks a bunch!

aznfknpride

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2009
Hawaii
The way I center mine is I put them in opposing holes... normally you'd put the positive leg into the one closest to the negative post you started with, but I put it in the opposite hole. I'm not sure how it works with silica or anything, but it works great with cotton.

I wrap the coil around a 3/32 or 7/64 drill bit and mount the coil with the drill bit in it... then pull the drill bit out and repeat on the other side. Then I pull some cotton through, trim, tuck, and get it wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread