Hello everyone; newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
I just switched from smoking to vaping back in February, and found this forum while I was looking for a good starter kit.

My goal right now is to make vaping the most pleasant experience possible without spending a fortune, so that I don't return to smoking cigarettes.

So far, I'm very happy with my "Volt" starter kit, but want to be sure to have a backup plan for replacing it if it becomes unavailable for any reason, and figure I'll probably want to try other stuff in the future.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My goal right now is to make vaping the most pleasant experience possible without spending a fortune, so that I don't return to smoking cigarettes.

So far, I'm very happy with my "Volt" starter kit, but want to be sure to have a backup plan for replacing it if it becomes unavailable for any reason, and figure I'll probably want to try other stuff in the future.
voltkit_02.jpg

Are you using this? This was my first starter kit. I was able to quit smoking with them, but I knew there was better setups than this. I used it only for a few weeks and then advanced to "mod". I had gotten very frustrated with the poor battery life, limited juice capacity, and limited flavor selections of the "cigalikes".

You're in for a treat. The setup that you're currently using is at the bottom of the vape chain. If you very happy with your Volts, you'll be estatic with just about anything else on the market.

Educate yourself on vaping terminology and the different vaping setups available. Before buying anything, ask experienced veterans on this forum what they think of potential selections that you find. Weigh their suggestions based on what you think you'll like.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

• From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. A picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Congrats on switching to vaping, that's fantastic. So now, you deserve a backup vape, and something more robust than what you have now. There are tons of options out there, so if you want specific suggestions, it might be great for you to say what you like about your current setup, e.g. "tight draw, size, shape, whatever." That may help in guiding you to a good next vape to try. It's really recommended (especially if vaping is working) to have a backup setup or two, in case yours stops working abruptly. It's also fun to try new vape equipment.

Welcome to ECF and congrats on starting your vaping journey!

Anna

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
Yes, Baditude, that is me.

I smoked my last cigarette just before the box arrived - I had prepared myself for days, and did not even have "just one more" before switching cold turkey.* I smoked over a pack a day -sometimes far more- for 35 years, so I am very happy with myself for having made the switch, and am very happy with how relatively easy it has been.

I found this forum then, but did not want to hang around because I was afraid all the talk about smoking would hinder my chance to quit.

I have already worn out two batteries -they both died within a day of each other. I only have one left (glad I sprang for the spare), and am trying to make it through the weekend when two replacements should arrive. I wanted to try something else, but was afraid, so bought the same things again...then after, remembered this place.

So...yeah...I'm hoping to end up with a reliable system that will work for me for years, and help prevent me from smoking.

*I most dearly loved smoking; and never, ever, ever thought I would be able to quit. Fact is: I never wanted to quit; I only did so because my family has always had to suffer with my addiction, and have always worried about me and my health. I do still miss smoking sometimes, and often think I should have had "just one more" or at least a "thank-you and goodbye" kind of ritual thing...but I didn't. Now, that I am away, I want to stay away; and to that end I think I need a more reliable kit that isn't likely to leave me with nothing over a weekend again.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
say what you like about your current setup, e.g. "tight draw, size, shape, whatever."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I like that it is like a cigarette. I can hold in my hand while I'm working, and it's entirely portable. When I leave the house I can just drop it in my bag with a couple of the cartridges, and be ready to go -I don't have to think about it or fuss with it.

I like that if I join other people who are smoking (haven't actually tried that adventure yet) I don't think it will be intrusive or call too much attention.

I don't like the way the cartridges get a bit nasty, but really can't be washed. I keep them as clean as I can, but would really like to find something either more washable or more easily replaceable.

I don't like the manual battery very well. The two I wore out were the automatic kind, though, so I guess in terms of reliability the manual is better.

I also don't like my new habit of putting the darn thing down somewhere and losing it. I told my DH I'm going to have to buy new ashtrays, just so I'll have designated places to park it when I need both hands for something.

I do like being able to buy blank cartridges to try other flavors. Back when I was smoking I hated having to switch brands because I never knew when I would spend $$ for something and then hate it. There were even some brands that made me physically sick, and so I always just found something I could afford & liked, then stayed with it. So far, I've tried three kinds of liquid, and have liked them all. I enjoy switching them up, and even mixing them together, and it has become part of the new ritual.

I long realized the whole ritual of smoking was an addiction for me just as much as the actual chemicals, and knew I would have to replace it, right along with the physical equipment.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Welcome aboard dlmerlin :)

Go thru batitudes links - he'll have the right set up for you in there.

I also didn't want to quit. I had to stop smoking due to a broken leg - but I fully planned on taking it up again once my bones had healed.

That mindset actually got me thru the first month of quitting. It was once I had vape gear I loved using and eliquids that tasted fantastic - that I realised I didn't actually want to smoke anymore - I much preferred vaping.

3 months down the track - Im amazed. So hang in there - it takes trial & error to find the right setup for you - but once you do, it makes things a lot easier

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Yes, Baditude, that is me.

I smoked my last cigarette just before the box arrived - I had prepared myself for days, and did not even have "just one more" before switching cold turkey.* I smoked over a pack a day -sometimes far more- for 35 years, so I am very happy with myself for having made the switch, and am very happy with how relatively easy it has been.

I found this forum then, but did not want to hang around because I was afraid all the talk about smoking would hinder my chance to quit.

I have already worn out two batteries -they both died within a day of each other. I only have one left (glad I sprang for the spare), and am trying to make it through the weekend when two replacements should arrive. I wanted to try something else, but was afraid, so bought the same things again...then after, remembered this place.

So...yeah...I'm hoping to end up with a reliable system that will work for me for years, and help prevent me from smoking.

*I most dearly loved smoking; and never, ever, ever thought I would be able to quit. Fact is: I never wanted to quit; I only did so because my family has always had to suffer with my addiction, and have always worried about me and my health. I do still miss smoking sometimes, and often think I should have had "just one more" or at least a "thank-you and goodbye" kind of ritual thing...but I didn't. Now, that I am away, I want to stay away; and to that end I think I need a more reliable kit that isn't likely to leave me with nothing over a weekend again.
    Ah. Then ignore my statement. There are apparently several kits called the volt.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    Baditude, I'm reading your page about good starter setups, but have a question.

"4. Coils. Also known as "atomizers". They are the heating element that located inside the tank that converts the liquid into vapor when power is applied. Coils need to be replaced when flavor become muted or vapor production falls off. Coils should last 1-4 weeks depending on how much you vape and the e-juice you choose to use."

If the coils are burning out, doesn't that mean you're inhaling the wire particles?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Coils have cotton or other wicking material inside. Even with a coil you wind yourself, you will need a wicking material.

When a coil goes, it is actually the WICK that goes, not the coil itself. Metal tends to be rather robust, and (some) coils can actually be rewicked, even as drop in coils. With a coil you make, the coil can be reused after some dry burning or cleaning (depending on what type of wire you are using) and then rewicked several times before it needs to be changed.

Have no fear, wire filaments are not being created and "sucked up" into the vape. Once the coil is burnt (the wicking, I guess I should say) it's good to stop using it because at that point it will provide undesirable things and byproducts into your vape. But, it's the wick that is giving up the ghost, not the coil itself. Some drop ins are so complicated or small, it's almost impossible to rewick them, hence their disposable nature, etc.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Baditude, I'm reading your page about good starter setups, but have a question.

"4. Coils. Also known as "atomizers". They are the heating element that located inside the tank that converts the liquid into vapor when power is applied. Coils need to be replaced when flavor become muted or vapor production falls off. Coils should last 1-4 weeks depending on how much you vape and the e-juice you choose to use."

If the coils are burning out, doesn't that mean you're inhaling the wire particles?
    By “burning out” they generally bean the wick not the wire. In atomizers where the wick is replaceable the wires last for many months though they generally require regular cleaning

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I doubt that much wick gets inhaled until it really gets burnt, possibly not even then. The wick is still THERE (usually) it's just dark and gunky. Gunk builds up on the wick usually before it burns, keeping it for the most part intact, I'd think.

But, unless you are inhaling absolutely microscopic bits of cotton (I guess it's possible) I'd think you'd notice, choke, etc. However, if you are concerned, there is an easy fix. As your coil approaches the end of its useful life (it will tell you by how it vapes... usually a more restricted pull, and sometimes flavor loss, well replace it then.

I will say, you were inhaling bleached paper every time you smoked a cigarette. That didn't kill you, I highly doubt some microscopic bits of wick are gonna take you down and out.

But, if you are worried, stop using it before it reaches the "burnt" stage.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
    Arizona
    I doubt that much wick gets inhaled until it really gets burnt, possibly not even then. The wick is still THERE (usually) it's just dark and gunky. Gunk builds up on the wick usually before it burns, keeping it for the most part intact, I'd think.

But, unless you are inhaling absolutely microscopic bits of cotton (I guess it's possible) I'd think you'd notice, choke, etc. However, if you are concerned, there is an easy fix. As your coil approaches the end of its useful life (it will tell you by how it vapes... usually a more restricted pull, and sometimes flavor loss, well replace it then.

I will say, you were inhaling bleached paper every time you smoked a cigarette. That didn't kill you, I highly doubt some microscopic bits of wick are gonna take you down and out.

But, if you are worried, stop using it before it reaches the "burnt" stage.

Yes; I'm sure the years of smoking cigarettes were far worse. I'm just trying to be conscious of such things more now, so that I make healthier choices than I once did. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread