Hello everyone; newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Ah... the sudden desire for "health" during the quitting process appears. :lol::lol:

I'm not making fun of you and it happened to me, too. In part, it was fueled by my yearning to smoke, at times, but also, I was really really ill when I got here, near COPD. I immediately wanted to vape "the safest" way, and much gear and ill advised vape purchases happened on the way to "reaching" that goal. I wanted TC. I wanted to rebuild my own coils. I wanted to VAPE SAFE.

LOL, these are all worthy goals but I'm here to tell you, even using FAR from "best practices" in my vape, my health improved, regardless. My doctors noted it, and I felt it. I am glad to use "best practices" today, and I do care about my vape being safe.

However, most new vapers aren't capable of jumping straight into "best practice." vaping tends to progress in stages, and figuring out how to use drop in coils and wattage is difficult enough, especially in the throes of quitting when everyone's brain dead, (well, many I should say).

You would have to really work hard to match the harm of smoking. It's almost impossible to do, unless you are willing to vape a burnt coil at 150 watts on purpose, repeatedly, and in an ongoing way.

Cotton gets burnt, it does not disappear. It gets covered with ejuice and then burns. Take apart your first coil if you want, and check out the wick. It's usually THERE, and it's usually intact.

When I replace a rayon wick in a coil I've built myself, it is INTACT. It is even possible (should I desire to do so) to RINSE that wick with distilled water until it is once again white, and to reuse it. I tried it because someone mentioned it and I wanted to see if it worked. It did. IDK if cotton would hold up similarly, but take apart your coil once it's dead, and see for yourself.

Also, even if cotton wicks cause micro inhalations of wick as they approach burnt, well, vaping has been around some time now, and people continue to maintain heath GAINS regardless.

Don't overcomplicate things. Make a checkup with your doc in a month and ask him to assess the state of your lungs.

There are people vaping all the time doing things I'd never attempt, and yet they too, miraculously, seem to achieve harm reduction gains as well.

There is no "perfect" way to vape. There is only starting vaping, learning about it, tweaking it, and moving forward in the harm reduction fashion.

The least safest form of vaping (whatever that might be) is still vast in terms of harm reduction. As you vape and experience it yourself, many of your worries are likely to dissipate. Mine did, even BEFORE I got to "best" vaping practice.

I can't say what vaping will "do" for you, although I can say what cigarettes will "do" for you. As far as long term data, we are not there yet. However, most legitimate vape research continues to be encouraging.

You are saving your life, and no one vapes "perfectly" all the time. However, when serious concerns arise on ECF they are addressed, like the temp control thread which I'd ADVISE you NOT to read until you've found your feet in vaping. Learn to vape, keep asking questions, but keep in mind, there are many vapers before you (and probably after you) who will have started with little vaping "skill" and less than best practice but have found HUGE health gains regardless.

Don't overthink. Vape. Notice how you feel, visit your doctor once you're over the hump and get reassurance.

I've been vaping alone for almost a year. If I am inhaling small amounts of burnt cotton without my knowledge, well, my health has improved regardless.

I got rid of all my inhalers, my lungs are clear, and I was headed toward death. Don't overcomplicate it.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Okay. I suppose that's still better than smoking cigarettes. But one of the reasons I switched was to make a healthier habit, so I don't want to compromise that goal any more than I absolutely have to.
Cotton is cellulose. It’s a sugar. An indigestible one but a sugar none the less. It’s s no more dangerous than smelling baked bread.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
Ah... the sudden desire for "health" during the quitting process appears.

Yes; the health concerns were the only reason I started this journey. I smoked for 35 years, and was starting to think I was pushing my luck. Also, my family had been begging me to stop for years. It seemed like the time had come to turn the corner, so that is what I did...and now, yes, I do want to follow good practices.

I got rid of all my inhalers, my lungs are clear

That is a fantastic outcome, and I'm very happy for you. In a year or so, I'm hoping my "ex smoker" status will be cemented. 'til then, I'm really just always trying to give myself the extra pat on the back so I keep my eyes forward -away from the cigarette aisle and all that I remember loving about smoking them.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.

A couple of tips along the way.

1. Increase the amounts of liquid you consume and keep something to drink with you most of the time.

Reason is two-fold. It helps to flush out all of the toxins you consumed as a smoker decreasing the amount of time to detox.
The 2nd reason is that vaping does tend to dry out the mucous membranes in our mouth, nose and throat(where most of the nicotine from vaping enters our system). Additional drinking of your favorite beverage helps to replace the moisture and makes the vaping experience much more enjoyable.

2. If/when nic cravings hit you, just vape through them. You may need a slightly higher mg to help with this to get you over that hurdle. Don't be concerned that you may be vaping a lot. The important thing is to get that nic into you to sastify those cravings. Once your body is satisified then we vape to maintain that level in our body, therefore no more cravings.

:)

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Congrats to you. I used easy-to-use similar type of stuff in the beginning as well and it got me off my decades-long habit. Some people have a very difficult time and for others, like yourself, it is a pretty seamless transition. Congrats to you. I only just wrote about the same type issues in another thread - I remember that I was utterly paranoid about running out of stuff. I had batteries die on me and then started buying lots of extras. I wanted a better way. I moved on to better and better equipment with each step. Just take your time.

Cost can be controlled and can be much less that smoking. It took me a while to make the jump to different equipment.

If you feel comfortable trying something different - a setup with a removable battery and a top fill tank that you refill is fairly easy to master. The bottom portion (box) is the battery. Well actually it is a box and it holds a removable battery and the top part is a tank that screws into it. So for the bottom portion all you have to do is keep a few extra batteries in your purse and it takes literally 2 seconds to switch out the battery and at night you can recharge them. That way you will not have any down time.

The top portion tank is also easy - the top screws off and you fill it with the eliquid.

There is something called an atomizer that screws into the bottom portion of the tank and that gets changed out regularly.

Looks something like this ---- I hear a lot of people talk about this one for its ease of use
Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC MOD Kit

It took me awhile to get to that point and honestly, I wish I would have done it sooner.

The biggest challenge you would have is finding an ejuice in a flavor and strength that works for you.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I like that it is like a cigarette. I can hold in my hand while I'm working, and it's entirely portable. When I leave the house I can just drop it in my bag with a couple of the cartridges, and be ready to go -I don't have to think about it or fuss with it.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Looks like your sold on the form factor and portability of cartridges, I started with 808 cartos and graduated by get better taste with more advanced equipment. There is no use in recommending any other devices since you seem happy with this equipment. When your ready to sacrifice any of the plus's of carto's, please let us know and someone can make recommendations.

Yes; I'm sure the years of smoking cigarettes were far worse. I'm just trying to be conscious of such things more now, so that I make healthier choices than I once did.
Might like to view some smoking health concerns:
http://www.vapewild.com/the-wild-blogger/vapewild-test-results/

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
Thank-you everyone, for your replies so far.

Good tips, @Sugar_and_Spice. I do have problems sometimes with dry mouth, but not too bad. I do drink a lot of liquids all day anyway, so have not had any real issues.

My genuine nic cravings are pretty rare now. I did prepare myself for quite a while before making the changeover -I switched to a brand of cigarettes I didn't like, I cut back on the number I was smoking, etc. I took my time; made a plan for dealing with various scenarios, and also made myself a lot of promises and gave myself a lot of rewards for accomplishing various steps along the way. This wasn't an impulsive thing, and I don't think I would've accomplished it nearly so well without the due diligence before hand.

@chellie: I am utterly paranoid about running out of stuff. When the 1st battery died, I was immediately looking for something better to replace it with, but got sidetracked when the other died the very next day -that left with the one I had bought to keep in the car as a spare, and a panicky feeling that led to immediately buying two more of the same just so I would be sure to have them. I'm also always checking the levels of liquid I have, and counting the drops I use so I can calculate how many day's supply I have.... It's a bit OCD for sure, but the constant reassurance helps keep me from hoarding a "just in case" pack of Marlboro. 0.o

@BrotherBob, I do like what I have -it works, and I'm a huge proponent of "whatever works". However, that doesn't mean I won't like other things, too. Or that I won't find something I like better. I have spent a couple of hours today reading through the links here, and looking at various stuff. I would've liked to have done that before, but was too afraid the constant references to cigarettes here might hinder my transition. As it is, I still have not allowed myself to be in the company of anyone who smokes -I want to wait at least another month for that- as I'm just not entirely sure of my ability to stay on the wagon in that event.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
BrotherBob, I do like what I have -it works, and I'm a huge proponent of "whatever works". However, that doesn't mean I won't like other things, too. Or that I won't find something I like better. I have spent a couple of hours today reading through the links here, and looking at various stuff. I would've liked to have done that before, but was too afraid the constant references to cigarettes here might hinder my transition. As it is, I still have not allowed myself to be in the company of anyone who smokes -I want to wait at least another month for that- as I'm just not entirely sure of my ability to stay on the wagon in that event.
When you ready for a change just post what you desire and what your willing to sacrifice to meet your expectations.
The only reason I saw your post is the @Letitia agreed with my post. Commenting separately to each respondee is fine, but in order for the intended to be alerted, you have to place a @ symbol next to the user's on screen name (called tagging ) in their comment.
re: How do you "tag" another forum member in a post?
Or
You can just reply separately to each respondee by clicking "Reply" located in the lower right hand corner between "Quote" and "Top" of their posts.
Might want to tag Sugar n Spice and Chellie by editing your post. Edit is located just below your post on the left side.
If you like a post you can add "like" located below "Quote" and "Top" line. Agree and others are there too.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
Right now, I guess my main -or maybe only?- goal is a more reliable setup. Mostly because of the paranoia. I do have a source of cigarettes right nearby, but for vaping stuff it's mail order or a 60 miles drive...so I constantly have a fear of finding myself running out of something, or the batteries all failing again.

So far, the item I've seen that really catches my eye is the "Tesla Punk Mini 85W TC Box". So far every place that has it in stock is out of the copper, or it would probably already be on it's way home to me. But....honestly...I'm a bit freaked out by the warnings in some places about sub ohms or low resistance?

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Good tips, @Sugar_and_Spice. I do have problems sometimes with dry mouth, but not too bad. I do drink a lot of liquids all day anyway, so have not had any real issues.

My genuine nic cravings are pretty rare now. I did prepare myself for quite a while before making the changeover -I switched to a brand of cigarettes I didn't like, I cut back on the number I was smoking, etc. I took my time; made a plan for dealing with various scenarios, and also made myself a lot of promises and gave myself a lot of rewards for accomplishing various steps along the way. This wasn't an impulsive thing, and I don't think I would've accomplished it nearly so well without the due diligence before hand.

@chellie: I am utterly paranoid about running out of stuff. When the 1st battery died, I was immediately looking for something better to replace it with, but got sidetracked when the other died the very next day -that left with the one I had bought to keep in the car as a spare, and a panicky feeling that led to immediately buying two more of the same just so I would be sure to have them. I'm also always checking the levels of liquid I have, and counting the drops I use so I can calculate how many day's supply I have.... It's a bit OCD for sure, but the constant reassurance helps keep me from hoarding a "just in case" pack of Marlboro. 0.o

@BrotherBob, I do like what I have -it works, and I'm a huge proponent of "whatever works". However, that doesn't mean I won't like other things, too. Or that I won't find something I like better. I have spent a couple of hours today reading through the links here, and looking at various stuff. I would've liked to have done that before, but was too afraid the constant references to cigarettes here might hinder my transition. As it is, I still have not allowed myself to be in the company of anyone who smokes -I want to wait at least another month for that- as I'm just not entirely sure of my ability to stay on the wagon in that event.

Please be assured that being paranoid about running out of supplies has hit us ALL at one point or another. When I smoked(bought cartons at a time) and got down to the last 2 or 3 packs I would panic and immediately go and buy more so going into vaping I made triple sure I had plenty of gear in case something went wrong. Here at ecf we do stress the importance of backups to our backups so that running out of something is not an option or reason to buy cigarettes.

When I first started vaping I kept an unopened pack of smokes in my junk drawer--just in case. Never did open them. After a couple of days I forgot they were there unless I opened the drawer for something and saw them and each time I would just say "NO' and shut the drawer again. Eventually they just went into the trash but the assurance they were there seemed to calm me down. Weird,, I know.

Once you begin to experience the benefits of not having all the tar and chemicals in your body and the sense of taste and smell come back a whole new world opens up. Look forward to feeling better, breathing better, sleeping better, smelling better, etc....

Just remember we have all been where you are now and making the switch to ecigs is attainable. Going on 8 years for me and I couldn't be happier for having found this alternative.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Right now, I guess my main -or maybe only?- goal is a more reliable setup. Mostly because of the paranoia. I do have a source of cigarettes right nearby, but for vaping stuff it's mail order or a 60 miles drive...so I constantly have a fear of finding myself running out of something, or the batteries all failing again.

So far, the item I've seen that really catches my eye is the "Tesla Punk Mini 85W TC Box". So far every place that has it in stock is out of the copper, or it would probably already be on it's way home to me. But....honestly...I'm a bit freaked out by the warnings in some places about sub ohms or low resistance?
That is one heavy mod. I too liked the look and did buy it but it was so heavy it now serves as a backup and resides in the stash pile.

YMMV

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA

Yes - that was one of my biggest concerns so I totally understand it. I used similar type of equipment for a long time. It was easy and it kept me off regular smokes. For me, and it seems like for you too - that you do not want to give yourself any reason to smoke a Marlboro - that is great.

You seem like you are pretty happy with your setup and are researching other equipment. Seems very organized. Just take your time and congrats on kicking the smoking habit.

DLMerlin

May 5, 2018
Arizona
@Sugar_and_Spice

"That is one heavy mod. I too liked the look and did buy it but it was so heavy it now serves as a backup and resides in the stash pile."

Sorry; the quote function doesn't seem to be working for me today. But what do you mean by 'a heavy mod"? Do you mean it weighs too much? Or is that jargon for something else?

Edwin Betz

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2018
Dayton, Ohio. USA
Yes, Baditude, that is me.

I smoked my last cigarette just before the box arrived - I had prepared myself for days, and did not even have "just one more" before switching cold turkey.* I smoked over a pack a day -sometimes far more- for 35 years, so I am very happy with myself for having made the switch, and am very happy with how relatively easy it has been.

I found this forum then, but did not want to hang around because I was afraid all the talk about smoking would hinder my chance to quit.

I have already worn out two batteries -they both died within a day of each other. I only have one left (glad I sprang for the spare), and am trying to make it through the weekend when two replacements should arrive. I wanted to try something else, but was afraid, so bought the same things again...then after, remembered this place.

So...yeah...I'm hoping to end up with a reliable system that will work for me for years, and help prevent me from smoking.

*I most dearly loved smoking; and never, ever, ever thought I would be able to quit. Fact is: I never wanted to quit; I only did so because my family has always had to suffer with my addiction, and have always worried about me and my health. I do still miss smoking sometimes, and often think I should have had "just one more" or at least a "thank-you and goodbye" kind of ritual thing...but I didn't. Now, that I am away, I want to stay away; and to that end I think I need a more reliable kit that isn't likely to leave me with nothing over a weekend again.
I was the same. The minute I started vaping, I didn't even think about smoking. I started with an Ego Battery and a 1.6ml cartamizor and 24mg 50/50 Papa Smurf juice. I advanced quickly to an Innokin Coolfire IV TC-18650 with a sub ohm tank. I really enjoy the clouds as well as the flavor. From there I bought a Smok Mag 225w with TFV12 Prince tank a really good upgrade for me that produced mass clouds and flavor, especially when I started learning how to adjust the wattage, airflow, and Temperature. I then started learning how to build my own coils in a Prince RBA (rebuildable atomizer). Then I found RDTAs RTAs and RDAs which started me with my new favorite hobbies. I don't even hardly buy factory coils anymore. You are in for a really good experience with vaping! The possibilities are limitless! Congrats on switching to vaping and welcome to ECF.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Sugar_and_Spice

"That is one heavy mod. I too liked the look and did buy it but it was so heavy it now serves as a backup and resides in the stash pile."

Sorry; the quote function doesn't seem to be working for me today. But what do you mean by 'a heavy mod"? Do you mean it weighs too much? Or is that jargon for something else?
I have this mod
$38.77 Authentic Tesla Nano 120W TC VW APV Box Mod - 7-120W / 2*18650 / temperature lock / nnovative taste control / memory function at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
that is not the one you are looking at...opps... sorry. This is the one that came to my mind so nevermind....I don't know how much the punk weighs....lol...but to me this one I quoted is heavy in weight.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks to arrive from China here is a link to Fasttech with the copper one in stock.

$55.90 Authentic Teslacigs Punk 85W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1*18650 / 100-300'C (200-600'F) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I checked the weight and it is not as heavy as the tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread