Hello there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9Luvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 26, 2010
    Hampton, VA
    Welcome and congrats on making the decision to stop smoking! This forum is full of great advice, I agree you need to start with about 18 mg or so, and finding the right device and flavor/nicotine profile will take time and experimentation. Be patient and enjoy the ride, it will be sooooooo worthwhile when you find what works best for you.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 3, 2013
    North Carolina, USA
    Welcome to ECF!:)

I've tried lozenges, and gum, and patches, and ugh, nothing ever works. So I'm here.

Same with me!:)

Back in late 2013, after abusing myself with analogs for 37 years, my chest was in pain, had bouts with pneumonia & plural fluid buildup (one hospital stay was required), I lucked up and met a man when carrying the trash can to the road.

He was doing some work next door to prepare a home for sale & I seen him vaping, although at the time thought otherwise, because honestly, had never heard of vaping. After a brief exchange of greetings, he asked me if I'd like to stop smoking and I stated 'of course', that I tried everything known at that time.

So then he asked me to climb with him into his work van, was still suspicious of the devices, he assured me that all was OK. I tried several flavors, of course at 24mg nic at the time, in less than 5 minutes the truck was like a fog inside & unlike the analogs, wasn't coughing when inhaling.

After an hour spent with me, he gave me a lot of samples, to include my first device, a 1100mAh ego with passthrough charging (cap on bottom was removable to charge & if needed, vape while doing so). I rarely see these anymore, many requires the tank to be removed & the charger screws in there. He also provided me with the ECF site & CASSA for support.

At any rate, the first thing I did after we said goodbye until the following Monday was to light an analog. For the first time in 37 years, it tasted & smelled nasty, luckily only had less than 10 left, I literally gagged on the last couple & was glad they were out of my life.:)

Once I began vaping, after 2-3 weeks, my chest pain began easing, after 2 months no longer required Symbicort prescribed for the symptoms that analongs caused. I'd carry a rescue inhaler for a few more months, then tossed it as well. Finally could walk further than to take the trash out & all of the pain was gone, plus my doctor tested my breathing function a year later, she (& I) was pleased with the results.:thumbs:

I'll soon be 6 years analog free, part of what also made it possible was ECF, had questions of my own as I progressed from an ego device to a 'real' mod, coil building, different VG/PG ratios of ejuice & so forth. Also learned how to clean my initial coils here & seen YouTube videos on how to totally rebuild Kangertech EVOD coils, saving me even more cash.

So make yourself at home at ECF & don't hesitate to ask questions, no matter how minor or major the issue when in need. Lots of veterans frequent the New Members Forum to pass our experience along to the next generation, along with my supplier, this forum helped to save my life. Eventually due to that reason, I became a supporting member of ECF.:)

Good Luck in your new journey!:banana:

Cat

vicsch

ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2019
    I know, I usually go through about 10 Marlboro lights per day. I watched a lot of videos, though. If 6 isn't good enough I'll get some 9mg. I really want to quit the smellies so I'm hoping that will help if I need to wait a few days for mail. I can usually put them down for about a week before I can't handle it anymore. But still I've done enough damage to my lungs that I've finally noticed it. If 6 isn't strong enough I can overnight something. Fingers crossed?
    FYI ... i quit the nasty cigs. over a year ago I was a menthol smoker of 20 yrs. off & on which means I tried this & that to quit, well I talked 1 day with a friend mine & she quit smoking doing the vape-thing so she took me to the vape shop she went to & I bought my 1st device it was a boulder pod device, I didn't have any knowledge of doing the mod. or other devices (there's alot I still don't know today, it's a learning experience everyday) & I thought I'll give it a try & it's working for me & has been over a year now, matter fact I love doing the vape-thing to me it tastes better than those nasty cigs. & I feel better over-all doing it. I started out w/18mg. Nic & now on 12mg. Nic. & tobacco menthol, I haven't wanted the other fruity e-liqs. Cause I'm addicted to menthol even after over a yr. now..... So what I'm getting at is I don't think u will be satisfied w/6mg.nic. Cause that I a very weak amount ....I hope it works for u & u can stay away from those nasty-real-stinky-cigs !!

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 3, 2013
    North Carolina, USA
    I started out w/18mg. Nic & now on 12mg. Nic.

You're right, it takes time to step down the nic.:)

For me, started at 24mg for a month, then dropped to 18mg for about a year, then 12mg for another year, since then have hovered between 6 to 9mg. Although do have one self-made flavor with zero nic that I love, still need the nic. Have tried dropping to 3mg all the time w/out success, fortunately I keep some in the freezer to add as needed.

It's an adjustment, those who has consumed analogs for many years will likely need significantly more nic than one who hasn't for long, or none at all. In the case of the latter who insists on vaping & have never smoked, I recommend zero nic, going for the flavor only.:)

Am still trying to drop down to 3mg, one day will get there!:thumbs:

Cat

vicsch

ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2019
    You're right, it takes time to step down the nic.:)

For me, started at 24mg for a month, then dropped to 18mg for about a year, then 12mg for another year, since then have hovered between 6 to 9mg. Although do have one self-made flavor with zero nic that I love, still need the nic. Have tried dropping to 3mg all the time w/out success, fortunately I keep some in the freezer to add as needed.

It's an adjustment, those who has consumed analogs for many years will likely need significantly more nic than one who hasn't for long, or none at all. In the case of the latter who insists on vaping & have never smoked, I recommend zero nic, going for the flavor only.:)

Am still trying to drop down to 3mg, one day will get there!:thumbs:

Cat
    Im proud of ur sucess w/quitting the nasty-cigs..I know I'm over them by far & won't go back ever...I'm hooked-vapin' most likely for yrs.& stuck-on my tobacco & menthol w/12mg !

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Welcome to the ECF!

None of us are necessarily any smarter than you are. We just have a lot of trial and error behind us! ;)

I started on this road almost 7 years ago because I wanted to see if this stuff would help me cut down on my 2pack a day habit. I started when I had a fresh carton of smokes on me. 30 days later I still had one Swisher Sweets Cherry little cigar left from that carton and after I smoked that one, I have not smoked at all!

Yes, I was a heavy smoker, and I'm a heavy Vaper. But I can go a day and not have the jitters at 45 minutes into the first hour like I would with the smokes.

Lots of good advice up above there. Start with a higher Nic strength. Get a back up (and maybe a back up for your back up)! Don't get down on yourself if you fall off the wagon and have a smoke. Be willing to spend a bit more money if needed to reward yourself.

Take a few deep breaths and roll on!

vicsch

ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2019
    Welcome to the ECF!

None of us are necessarily any smarter than you are. We just have a lot of trial and error behind us! ;)

I started on this road almost 7 years ago because I wanted to see if this stuff would help me cut down on my 2pack a day habit. I started when I had a fresh carton of smokes on me. 30 days later I still had one Swisher Sweets Cherry little cigar left from that carton and after I smoked that one, I have not smoked at all!

Yes, I was a heavy smoker, and I'm a heavy Vaper. But I can go a day and not have the jitters at 45 minutes into the first hour like I would with the smokes.

Lots of good advice up above there. Start with a higher Nic strength. Get a back up (and maybe a back up for your back up)! Don't get down on yourself if you fall off the wagon and have a smoke. Be willing to spend a bit more money if needed to reward yourself.

Take a few deep breaths and roll on!
    Very well said !! .... Keep Vapin'On & On !!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I think you’re going to do just fine. Just keep asking as issues arise and the folks here will step right up with suggestions.

You’ve already gotten some great advice.

I just want to say, many of us were dual users for a time. I did not have any adverse affects from doing so.

IMHO, there are 4 main reasons people can’t make the switch, and fail to quit.

1) Devices that break, don’t function well, or are too complicated or the wrong style.

2) Juice with too little nic.

3) Trying to reduce nic too soon.

4) Exposure to smoking trigger situations. ( many times I’ve heard someone say they went out for drinks with friends early in their vaping journey and bought a pack of smokes).

Anyway... as I said you seem to have a great attitude about it so you’ll be fine. Just remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint, and every one you don’t smoke is a win!

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

You should be fine but I would suggest that you up your nicotine strength to start with. Try 18mg/ml. It's important for you to get that craving sorted because there will be other addiction to the death sticks to deal with.....you can do it :)

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2009
    Nor'Eastern PA
    mjHJuAF.png

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ugh no one warned me about gorilla bottles or whatever they're called. I think my thumb is broken. I just wanted to smell them. Ow ow ow.
    Why on earth would you want to smell a gorilla much less put your hand on one? You never been to the monkey house at the zoo? You can smell that place 20 feet away.

Seriously though, if you can move it at all it’s not broken. It might possibly be dislocated. If it is it will look really really strange though.

IslaIsForIsland

Aug 13, 2019
    Iowa
    Today was a nightmare. Arm pain, sweating...I don't remember ever sweating like that. Ended up at the ER. "Do you smoke?" I was like, yeah but I was going to quit Saturday, good timing, right?

It was 'just' gas. But cripes. Also that gas is gonna be awfully expensive in a month or two. :( I could have done without that. I don't particularly know why I'm sharing this here. Just miserable, I guess.

On the bright side I have bunches of juice now, from 18mg to 12, to 9, to 6, to 3, to 1.5 to 0 :) I think about 1200ml of each one. I'm sure I'll have to get more eventually but at least I can probably figure out where to start! Just waiting for the devices to come on Friday.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Today was a nightmare. Arm pain, sweating...I don't remember ever sweating like that. Ended up at the ER. "Do you smoke?" I was like, yeah but I was going to quit Saturday, good timing, right?

It was 'just' gas. But cripes. Also that gas is gonna be awfully expensive in a month or two. :( I could have done without that. I don't particularly know why I'm sharing this here. Just miserable, I guess.

On the bright side I have bunches of juice now, from 18mg to 12, to 9, to 6, to 3, to 1.5 to 0 :) I think about 1200ml of each one. I'm sure I'll have to get more eventually but at least I can probably figure out where to start! Just waiting for the devices to come on Friday.
    Good god! Who is talking you into these ridiculously large purchases? You’ve got years and years of juice repurchased. The stuff with nic in it needs to be kept away from heat and light. Refrigerators work well for that.

As for the gas thing it can happen. Severe gas symptoms can mimic a heart attack. My dad had them so bad once the EMTs thought he was having one. They had the big long needle out and everything.
    We’re descended from worms and it shows in our gut structure. It’s a big long tube all wadded up. And it doesn’t like being stretched, which a big gas bubble can do. The pain can be astounding, and there are all sorts of nerves in there that go to different places and squeezing them can make for weird effects. Enough gas can also cause something called a bowel adhesion which is extra not funny. The walls of the bowel can stick to each other closing off the whole thing, which can be fatal.
    Don’t feel too bad about the hospital visit. And don’t let them try to charge you retail. The retail cost can be many times more than what they are willing to take in the end. There are ways to make them back down. Be fierce.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest

I hope you get to feeling better. Sounds like you have a solid plan and MUCH juice for the journey. Gear too.
    You CAN do this. It was hard for me at first but I was also very determined. For me mornings were the worst for cravings but that was solved with high nic juice.
    Good luck to you.
    And cheers!!! :)

sparkey909w

ECF Veteran
    Feb 19, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hi and welcome. I started vaping also to quit smoking several years ago. 1st device was an ego battery and the plastic cartos. Started with 12 mg nic and it was too strong for me and i smoked 1-2 packs a day. Chain smoked while gaming. I was able to go from 12 to 6 mg nic in about a week. Then down to 3 mg nic in another couple of weeks. The difference was when i got to lower levels of nic i would suck the vape like a baby bottle. When i moved to sub ohm on a kanger sub ohm tank i was between 3 ans 1.5 mg nic. And that seems to be goob for me. I have read that your body will want to get your normal amount of nic per day and if you go less then you might be vaping more. But over time you will be able to decrease the overall amount of nic. I did fall off the wagon for a year or so and recently took vaping back up. I went straight to 3 mg nic and i am fine i just hit the vape more often than i grabbed for a stinky. You will know when your nic intake is too much. Light headed and bubble guts. I have found by balance and will decrease nic level in a few months or when i start mixing my own juices again. I get no cravings except for habits like smoking after i eat or when i wake up. But the vape does take care of that.
    Best of luck in your adventure. And stay healthy

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread