Help! DIY recipes for a seriously IMPATIENT mixer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senraku

Jul 1, 2013
Omaha
Hey everyone,
So I have been messing around with DIY for a little bit now, and I'm about to fill up a wizard labs cart with some flavorings and bottles, and I'm trying to learn from my mistakes the first time around. When I first bought my DIY supplies, I got the PG/VG from Essential Depot, and I got the nic and some flavors from RTS along with the few bottles/pipettes/syringes(not enough).

The problem I have now, is that none of those mixes were any good, but of course I vaped them anyway... See, I have a hard time waiting for flavors to 'steep' or develop, and almost as soon as I mix a flavor, I want it to be vapeable. fThat, mixed with the fact that I only have 2 5ml bottles and 3 30ml bottles really limits me when it comes to trial and error and tasting. This batch, I want to order enough bottles to make 10-15 rough drafts at a time and come back a week later to test them...

In the meantime can any long-time DIY'ers around here hook me up with a recipe that tastes great right out of the gate?

PS I also had a question about flavors containing alcohol. Would it be a good idea to 'cook' the alcohol out of the flavoring first before I add it to the pg/vg/nic mix in order to speed up steep time? Maybe even decant it in some form so the alcohol evaporates over a larger surface area? Everything I've read leads me to believe that this residual alcohol is what causes the 'perfumey' taste.

I dunno, theres a couple poorly worded questions in there if you can make sense of it. Thanks in advance for any of your help.

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
To start (in a serious nutshell. I'm half asleep):

1. Patience is a much needed attribute in DIY. Without it, it will be a long long long journey.

2. Get more bottles. The more, the better.

3. Start out with ONE flavor mixes. This way you can see how each flavor acts independently.

4. For flavorings with alcohol in them, let them sit uncapped for 24 hours or so. It works for me. Some flavorings from certain vendors are "perfumey" to some people, some they are not.

What flavorings do you currently have available?

I'm sure some others here will fill in my blanks :)

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
if you want to vape juices right after you mix them fruit flavors are your friend for the most part , i use alot of vaping zone super concentrate which have alcohol but the only 1 that i have to steep is watermelon the rest of them are ready when mixed , super concentrates are used at 2-5% so they save me alot of money but when you ask for recipes unless you have the same brands it will be a challenge for every flave is used at different strengths and it also depends on the person vaping some like their vapes strong some lite some sweet some not i have several single flavor recipes and a few 2-3 flavor recipes
fruit coctail
3% lemon vz super con
4% mandarin orange vz super con
5% pineapple vz super con
2% stevia
6% nic ( 100mg/pg base)
30% pg
50% vg

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
Make single flavors & start low with the percentages. You can always add more flavor. Don't forget to get some sucralose &/or ethyl maltol (aka Cotton Candy).

You didn't say what type of flavors you like. Even some fruits take a few days to setup. Tobacco flavors seem to take the longest steep times, followed by coffee and chocolate.

Don't cook the alcohol out. Let it sit with the cap off for 24-48 hours. I don't find the alcohol flavorings to be perfumey, but you can taste it--cheap vodka taste. Perfumey usually means too much flavoring and leaving the cap off for a day or two may help but my experience was better after adding unflavored liquid to cut it.

Flavors that I have used that were good to go immediately: All TFA - Peach Juicy, Blackberry, Green Apple & Cinnamon. Strawberry Ripe (TFA), Mocha (TFA) Raspberry (Brewer's Best), Coconut (McCormick), Peppermint (Watkins) & Orange (Watkins) all needed 3 days. The Mocha, Orange & Strawberry Ripe reached maximum at 5 days. I expect the same from the chocolates I have sitting now.

My next purchase for DIY will be an ultrasonic cleaner. The heat & vibration is supposed to really cut down on the steep time. I have zapped mine in the microwave but I don't like doing that.

yellowsnow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
New Mexico
The Ultrasonic may be your single best investment for steeping ( aging ) purpose.

Make single flavors & start low with the percentages. You can always add more flavor. Don't forget to get some sucralose &/or ethyl maltol (aka Cotton Candy).

You didn't say what type of flavors you like. Even some fruits take a few days to setup. Tobacco flavors seem to take the longest steep times, followed by coffee and chocolate.

Don't cook the alcohol out. Let it sit with the cap off for 24-48 hours. I don't find the alcohol flavorings to be perfumey, but you can taste it--cheap vodka taste. Perfumey usually means too much flavoring and leaving the cap off for a day or two may help but my experience was better after adding unflavored liquid to cut it.

Flavors that I have used that were good to go immediately: All TFA - Peach Juicy, Blackberry, Green Apple & Cinnamon. Strawberry Ripe (TFA), Mocha (TFA) Raspberry (Brewer's Best), Coconut (McCormick), Peppermint (Watkins) & Orange (Watkins) all needed 3 days. The Mocha, Orange & Strawberry Ripe reached maximum at 5 days. I expect the same from the chocolates I have sitting now.

My next purchase for DIY will be an ultrasonic cleaner. The heat & vibration is supposed to really cut down on the steep time. I have zapped mine in the microwave but I don't like doing that.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Great advice ^^^^^ given above....I have found that single flavors tend to vape easier right after mixing than multiple flavors. I do have one tobacco recipe I like right after mixing: (these are TFA flavors)
RY4 DBL: 10%
Tobacco: 7.5%
Caramel: 2.5%
mix flavors
add nicotine mixed with pg/vg
mix well with flavors

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
In the meantime can any long-time DIY'ers around here hook me up with a recipe that tastes great right out of the gate?

Capella's Sweet Tangerine at 15%

PS I also had a question about flavors containing alcohol. Would it be a good idea to 'cook' the alcohol out of the flavoring first before I add it to the pg/vg/nic mix in order to speed up steep time? Maybe even decant it in some form so the alcohol evaporates over a larger surface area? Everything I've read leads me to believe that this residual alcohol is what causes the 'perfumey' taste.

Sigh, steeping is a sealed bottle sitting for awhile to let entropy happen. Complete mixing down to the molecular level if you like.

Airing-out, or letting a mix Breathe, is an open bottle. It can allow some alcohol to evaporate along with the more volatile flavoring notes. It can also help nicotine to start oxidizing and help lend that bitter taste that comes from oxidized nicotine.

You can cook all the flavoring you want, but since the alcohol is the carrier that allows the flavor to mix with other stuff and you'd be cooking off some of the flavor along with the carrier, you've probably increased your steep time period and taken out some of the flavor that would have been available to you. You can also open a can of paint an allow the carrier to evaporate out before painting as it will speed up the dry time, but don't count on it looking worth a bean.

I've covered perfumey taste in my blog on Flavoring Levels and the main reason it happens. There is very little reason that a mix cannot be vapable, and be good, from the moment it is mixed. (There are exceptions, but they are the exceptions, not the rule.)

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
My mixes steep as long as it takes my partner and myself to vape the bottle. I don't do tobacco flavors. I usually make 3-5ml bottles of bakery and candy flavors, coffees, just a few fruity ones. Because I use about 50% VG, I set the (closed) bottles in a cup of hot tap water for a few minutes, which temporarily thins the liquid. I shake the heck out of them while the liquid is thin. Then vape.

I'd recommend doing single-flavor bottles. That way you can easily add more flavoring or more base if you don't like the strength. Once those are right, you can try different combinations in your tank or cartomizer, so making single-flavor bottles can actually minimize the number of bottles you have to make. Still - you're gonna need a lot more bottles to have any fun.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Here's a few simple mixes I've done and really like that require little to no steeping.

TFA Strawberry 9%
TFA Koolada 4%
The Koolada kind of shines a little much just after mixing but evens out after a short period. I like a lot of cool in this mix, to me it goes well with the strawberry so I've settled on 4%, 3% or even 2% would probably satisfy most though. It's a ready to go vape right after mixing imo.

TFA Peach 5%
TFA Brandy 5%
This one pretty much stays the same new or as it steeps and I really like it.

TFA Black Honey Tobacco 4%
TFA French Vanilla 6%
TFA Tobacco Absolute Blend PG .5%
TFA Flue Cured .5%
This one I found here and after a few trials tweaked it a little. It does need a little time but not to much. It's my 15th day with this bottle and It changed quite a bit during the first 48 hours, the vanilla stood out a little to much but still good new. After the 48 hour period I have noticed a few changes but they were far more subtle. Good newly mixed and after 48 hours really good imo.

All were done at 50/50 PG/VG and 12mg.

I've been doing this for quite a while and I've found my mistake as a new DIYer was to go way too high %. Higher percentage logically would mean more flavor.....NO that's not always or even most of the time accurate in mixes. It can lead to reduced flavor or take on an off, sometimes perfumy note that requires even more steeping to get rid of. My advice is to start out low and work your way up.

Last edited:

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
The only time my mixes steep is when I've made several and then forgotten about one for a while. I have little to no patience either ha. Agree with the other posters, fruits are usually good to go right away. I like to mix TPA peanut butter around 8-10% with 3-4% brown sugar and a few drops of sweetener, it tastes good right away. The PB is creamy and doesn't have that burnt taste to it that some other PB's sometimes do. Some people love their juices steeped and others like to vape them fresh, its just about what tastes best to you. Happy mixing and good luck!:)

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
Look up lordy diy video. In the steeping section he mentions using a milk frother. Havent tried it yet but will soon.

You saw that too, huh? I have no patience, ordered one from Amazon.:facepalm: And it will take a month or more to get here from Sweden or where ever it is. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread