Help ease my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
Hey everyone, so I guess I'm a relatively new vaper, probably only been doing it on and off for about a year or two.
My mother in law got me started to help kick smoking cigarettes and it's kind of been a battle between the two ever since.

I start using my vape for a long period of time then my anxiety gets the best of me when it comes to the news and stories of vapes exploding and I go back to smoking cigarettes again.

Honestly? I'm petrified of it exploding In my face. I've never used a mod or messed with my vape. I regularly get new batteries or get them re wrapped.

What is something that I can get behind or some methods I can use to ensure this exploding will never happen?

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
If careful practice doesn't cut it for you, you could get a vape that uses "normal" AA batteries, like the Batpack - Joyetech .. no more unprotected high-powered li-ion cells.. should be exactly what you need.
Panasonic NCR 18650B protected 18650

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
don't use a mech....
buy only batteries recommended by Mooch (a member here that posts battery info) or recommended by others here
don't use coils under 1ohm and extremely high watts unless you study ohm's laws and battery safety
don't use batteries that are damaged or the wrap is coming off of, if it's just the wrap, then rewrap them

Don't leave your vape out in your car or in your pocket on hot days
make sure if your vape is in your pocket that it is turned off or that the fire button is locked so it's not accidently being fired

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    Panasonic NCR 18650B protected 18650

Uhh..
    I believe this battery is only 10A ?
    If someone is vaping over 30 watts, this is not a recommended battery, and you WILL have problems.
    My best advice is to get battery chemistry that leaks gas in the event if a short, not flame or explosion.

I'd say the safest battery to use, whether someone is vaping at 30 watts or 300... is the Sony VTC5a.
    It's a 30A battery that will vent gas in the even of a short or thermal runaway.
    Buy them from a reputed dealer such as orbrtonic.com .

Also, check out Mooch's blog and other posts.
    Check out e-cigs - Electronic Cigarette as well. There's a whole sidebar relating to battery safety.
    With proper care, use, and type of battery, you can be assured you are safe.
    Do some studying with the sidebar of that Reddit page. Read Mooch's blog. You'll be OK.

Most of the news stories you read about 'explosions' are either batteries kept in pocket with no protective case (keys etc. short out battery), or, they were using a mechanical mod, and, had terrible battery safety habits.

Enjoy your journey into the wild world of li-ion batteries !
    I am fully confident that my vape will not explode.

:) all the best :)

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2015
    Toledo,Oh
    It makes me sick that somebody is smoking instead of vaping all because the media refused to discuss why it happened. Don't believe the news! I've been vaping for four years now never had a battery explode or vent. As long as the wrap is not torn and you make sure the batteries are in a case if you carry them out of the house it should never happen. If you don't exceed the cdr (max current for the battery) lithium ion batteries are pretty robust they put them in cars, power tools etc. Power tools (milwaukee m12/m18 to be exact) are running these cells far harder than vaping does. Next paragraph is an on-topic rant so only read it if you enjoy rants.

The news loves showing the result without explaining why it happened they'll show a picture of someone in the hospital after the pv exploded. They won't discuss why it happened, our local vape shops contacted the local news networks in my area to talk about battery safety and all they got was crickets. Why is that? Because it's not good for ratings, the soccer moms don't give two :censored: about that but they do like seeing somebody in the hospital so she can say how dangerous vaping is to people like me who may have added another twenty years to their lifespan due to vaping.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2018
    Uhh..
    I believe this battery is only 10A ?
    If someone is vaping over 30 watts, this is not a recommended battery, and you WILL have problems.
    My best advice is to get battery chemistry that leaks gas in the event if a short, not flame or explosion.

I'd say the safest battery to use, whether someone is vaping at 30 watts or 300... is the Sony VTC5a.
    It's a 30A battery that will vent gas in the even of a short or thermal runaway.
    Buy them from a reputed dealer such as orbrtonic.com .

Also, check out Mooch's blog and other posts.
    Check out e-cigs - Electronic Cigarette as well. There's a whole sidebar relating to battery safety.
    With proper care, use, and type of battery, you can be assured you are safe.
    Do some studying with the sidebar of that Reddit page. Read Mooch's blog. You'll be OK.

Most of the news stories you read about 'explosions' are either batteries kept in pocket with no protective case (keys etc. short out battery), or, they were using a mechanical mod, and, had terrible battery safety habits.

Enjoy your journey into the wild world of li-ion batteries !
    I am fully confident that my vape will not explode.

:) all the best :)

i think i do pointed it out low performance but highest capacity in that category. btw i design battery charge n discharge board, with regulated mod, it kind of safe but still depend on board design ....
    for example ncr18650b use in tesla which required a lot performance .
    Mooch ? hhahahhaahha
    Everyone is EXPERT now, let thanks MOOCH.

Attachments

• O1CN011X9XWM8lV9tpVKM_!!3526132881.jpg
      O1CN011X9XWM8lV9tpVKM_!!3526132881.jpg
      166.8 KB · Views: 23
    • O1CN011X9XWNDE1tab16v_!!3526132881.jpg
      O1CN011X9XWNDE1tab16v_!!3526132881.jpg
      204.8 KB · Views: 24
    Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    A couple points:

Learn about battery safety for your type of vaping.. know some basics.

Battery Mooch

Mooch takes the time to educate people.. it's up to us to listen.

Anything electronic can have issues. Even cellphones have been known to cause deaths. They have exploded while being used a caused death, and others have been electrocuted to death while using them. Others use their cellphones carelessly and have caused countless thousands of deaths.

Yet, we don't see cellphones as inherently dangerous. No one is scared of their cellphones because people understand the difference between user error and an issue with cellphones themselves, as well as allowing for the realization that sometimes s**t happens..

It's the same with vaping.

It requires a certain amount of knowledge for battery safety, and you'll want to research potential purchases. Don't buy something that just came out, give it a few months to hear from actual users to see if there are any issues.

Use regulated mods, and avoid mechanical mods that have no safety features. Most explosions in vaping occured due to a short in a mechanical mod that has no safety features.

There are millions of vapers in the world, and the number of incidents involving death or injury is lower than literally any other electronic item on the market today, which isn't bad considering unregulated mods exist..

When you leave your house today your in more danger from your vehicle than you are your mod, and a LOT more danger from that cigarette you smoke.

Your choice to live in fear and commit suicide via cigarettes, or take a chance on an electronic device that is saving lives by helping people overcome a deadly addiction .

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hey everyone, so I guess I'm a relatively new vaper, probably only been doing it on and off for about a year or two.
    My mother in law got me started to help kick smoking cigarettes and it's kind of been a battle between the two ever since.

I start using my vape for a long period of time then my anxiety gets the best of me when it comes to the news and stories of vapes exploding and I go back to smoking cigarettes again.

Honestly? I'm petrified of it exploding In my face. I've never used a mod or messed with my vape. I regularly get new batteries or get them re wrapped.

What is something that I can get behind or some methods I can use to ensure this exploding will never happen?
    Hi and welcome,
    What "kit" or device and topper are you using?

Just remember;
    Cigarettes WILL kill you. (over 1000 U.S. human deaths per DAY)
    Only a few of us have ever had a battery failure. (Less than 5 deaths in 10 years)

Pick your poison.

Cheers
    I

Last edited:

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
    Hi and welcome,
    What "kit" or device and topper are you using?

Just remember;
    Cigarettes WILL kill you. (over 1000 U.S. human deaths per DAY)
    Only a few of us have ever had a battery failure. (Less than 5 deaths in 10 years)

Pick your poison.

Cheers
    I

15523909336732193909880552887585.jpg 15523909657121410106745154016341.jpg

This is what I'm currently using. It's an iStick Pico with a Smok tank (I broke the original tank that came with the base)

I'm in the market for buying a new kit as well, but I'm really flustered at where to start.

I will forsure be looking into batteries. You guys have really been super helpful.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    View attachment 802637 View attachment 802639

This is what I'm currently using. It's an iStick Pico with a Smok tank (I broke the original tank that came with the base)

I'm in the market for buying a new kit as well, but I'm really flustered at where to start.

I will forsure be looking into batteries. You guys have really been super helpful.

VM,
    You have a very safe set up.

IMO, you have very little to be concerned about.

Welcome!

I

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Can I be incredibly blunt?

Have you ever seen someone die of lung cancer? Because I have. My husband. My MIL.

It’s a shocking, horrific way to go.

It’s astronomically more likely to be injured by smoking, but even if the odds were exactly the same, I’d rather go by exploding mod.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

Welcome to ECF, Pico's are awesome.

The shopping thread (i.e. the shinyitis thread) is where you might join to see what you might like to vape next, either there or the tootle puffer thread.. or both.. :) The stocking up thread is good too..

Good luck!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

This is what I'm currently using. It's an iStick Pico ..
    I got an Eleaf Pico a few weeks ago and I just love it. I haven't used any of the 2 or 3 clearo's I still have coil heads for, I've been putting one of my RTA's with a 1.5 - 2 ohm resistance build on it. I usually run the mod in 'bypass' mode at first, then 'wattage' when the battery gets in the high 3.8 volt range.. So alternatively technically, around 10 - 11 watts to 8 - 9 watts, to recharge time. I use (unknown at this time because I don't feel like looking for my small pile of shipping / sales invoices) a Lion 18650 rechargeable battery in it. I get batteries like this from Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor. I know what my builds will ask from a battery and which kind of battery can handle such a request, whether it'll be used in a reg or mech mod. I've been vapin' for more than 4 years and using Lion batteries for more than 3. All I can say is know what to use, how to use it, and how to keep it kind.

eta: Welcome to ECF, VM-Lady.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    You cannot ensure that it will never happen. Do you have / use a cell phone? They use the same basic battery technology, and the batteries in them also fail in a spectacular manner on occasion, yet it's not something most people worry about a whole lot, despite the fact that they hold them up to their face.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Anyone who vapes over 10W to 20W should be aware that amperage is your enemy when you push cells close to their design limits. Know how many amps your vape is pulling (that should be on the mod display). Stay well under the limit. If you lithium cell gets warm, find out what's causing that. You may need to move to a dual battery mod if you vape over 40W (that's including a safety factor because only the better cells can do 60W without issues).

Follow Mooch's battery recommendations closely and never use a cell that isn't up to your vaping level.

Mooch's Recommended

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    We are all going to die sometime. None of us are getting out of here alive.

The odds are in your favor as far as ecigs versus cigarettes, but do your due diligence and be less fearful. Because the way smoking works, you die in really horrible drawn out ways much of the time.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread