Help ease my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
VM-Lady, you're relatively safe with a regulated mod like you have. Like others have said, use good batteries from reputable suppliers and turn off your mod when you put in a pocket or bag. And if it ever starts acting weird and auto firing, turn it off, remove batteries and place mod in recycle bin.

Don't carry batteries loose, use a case. Good sellers will include them with batteries.

Also use a decent external charger, prevents stressing of the electronics in the mod and can extend lifetime of batteries. Also allows you to use your vape whilst batteries are charging and can also allow you to carry extra batteries in a case, for when you run out of power.

And if you're looking to upgrade a little or increase your collection we can help.

Yes, we're enablers.:D

So what would interest you in a vape and we can work from there?

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
My suggestion to the OP: Be careful with your stuff. Take advice from everyone and remember - most of the "explosions" come from reckless and / or under-educated people or poor quality devices and batteries. If you take care of your stuff like you should be taking care of yourself, the probabilities of something happening is greatly reduced. Can you eliminate all hazards entirely? Absolutely not. EVERY MORNING you wake up and drive somewhere, the probability of a life ending accident is there. How about the weather?

What I'm trying to get at - is if you're fearful of your ecig, there are things you can do to lower the risks of bad things happening. A few of them are:

1. Use the proper charger for your batteries and place the charger and / or batteries in an authorized battery bag, on a flame proof container, and away from other flammable materials.

2. Use a proper charger to charge your devices (APPLIES TO 'BUILT-IN BATTERY MODS ONLY!). Using a 2Amp charger on something that should be charged at 1AMP or lower can cause the battery to heat up and may damage the cells in the pack. Once the cells are damaged, there's no going back, just go purchase another device.

3. If you're under-educated and / or have reckless tendencies - AVOID MECHANICAL MODS! If you are well educated and aren't a reckless person - then by all means, use a mechanical mod WITHIN LIMITS!

4. If you use a device that uses external batteries - DO NOT PUT LOOSE BATTERIES IN YOUR POCKET! Put them in a solid case that protects the entire battery! Don't put them in a "silicon sleeve", that leaves the side of the battery exposed and any damage to the wrap increases the chances of a short.

5. Keep your batteries out of extreme weather. Don't leave them in extremely cold weather and don't leave them in extremely hot weather. TAKE THEM WITH YOU - EVERYWHERE! Leaving them in your car in the summer may cause damage to the cells.

6. BUY PROPERLY RATED BATTERIES FOR THE DEVICE(S) YOU'RE USING! If you are planning on going cloud chasing, I suggest a 30AMP battery, hands down, every time, all the time. If clouds aren't your thing, and you're vaping at "reasonable" power levels, then shoot for a 20-25AMP battery. If you're using a coil / coil head rated above 1.0 Ohms, then a 10-15AMP battery should suffice.

7. KNOW YOUR DEVICE, KNOW YOUR ATOMIZER, KNOW YOUR BATTERY, AND KNOW YOUR LIMITS! This is self explanatory. But I'll delve into it anyways.
7a. If you're using a mod that runs in SERIES ONLY, then KNOW THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS NEED 2 OR MORE BATTERIES! Those batteries will need to be charged at the same time, used at the same time, and ALWAYS DISCARDED AT THE SAME TIME!
7b. If you're using a hybrid / pinless mod, make sure your atomizer has a protruding pin. Also, ensure when you clean your atomizer, you ensure there is NO DEBRIS LEFT BEHIND! No cotton, no wire clippings, no "gunk" - NOTHING!
7c. When buying batteries, use a marker and date them. Date the first time they were discharged and recharged. After a year or so passes, toss them and buy new ones. BUY THEM FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE! DO NOT BUY THEM FROM EBAY, AMAZON, ETC! If they're still within reasonable age, but the wrappers are torn, scratched, cut, etc. Get them rewrapped ASAP! If the can (the silver part beneath the wrap), the positive ring, or any other part of the battery is dented, punctured, etc. toss it and buy a new one (or a new set if the batteries were paired up).
7d. Know your limits - what are you willing to do / what are your plans with your ecig, and what are you hoping to gain? Ask yourself this every time you do ANYTHING and all will be well.

Battery case(s): Chubby Gorilla Battery Case - Hard Plastic

There are other cases out there. imrbatteries and liionwholesale offer batteries, cases, and wraps should you choose to purchase from those places. I'm unsure about pegasusvaporacademy, as I don't shop there. I do suggest them though as they have a pretty comprehensive guide to batteries and battery selection.

Battery Bag: LiPo Safe Charging Bag

Battery Chargers:
www.nitecore.com
(1800-2100 size batteries - Use the i4/i8 Intellicharger)
(1800-2600 size batteries - Use the d2/d4 Digicharger)

There are others out there that have different features on them, like discharging, testing, etc of batteries, I'm just posting what I use as I don't have experience with other chargers.

Battery VENDORS:
www.liionwholesale.com
www.imrbatteries.com
www.pegasusvaporacademy.com

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
My wife uses a Pico and she loves it. As others have rightly said as long as you follow basic safety measures you're safe. It's very true that you have far more risk of harm through smoking.

I hope you're feeling better now and can fully quit the cancer sticks....they'll kill you :(

Welcome to the friendly bunch :)

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
I just want to say thank you to each and everyone of you that took the time to comment on my post and give me such helpful and insightful advice. I do feel more comfortable.

I'm pretty cautious and careful with my equipment, other than the fact the obvious drops from my pocket and that such (which is why i'm in the market for a new one because this one has seen enough drops)

I also want to correct myself from my original post, I realize I said "to make sure it never happens (exploding, etc.)" because I know that I will never ever fully eliminate the risk. What I think I meant to say (I was totally tired) was to diminish the risk as much as I can.

VM-Lady, you're relatively safe with a regulated mod like you have. Like others have said, use good batteries from reputable suppliers and turn off your mod when you put in a pocket or bag. And if it ever starts acting weird and auto firing, turn it off, remove batteries and place mod in recycle bin.

Don't carry batteries loose, use a case. Good sellers will include them with batteries.

Also use a decent external charger, prevents stressing of the electronics in the mod and can extend lifetime of batteries. Also allows you to use your vape whilst batteries are charging and can also allow you to carry extra batteries in a case, for when you run out of power.

And if you're looking to upgrade a little or increase your collection we can help.

Yes, we're enablers.:D

So what would interest you in a vape and we can work from there?

I'm really looking for something that's simple to use and I like the ability to control my W. I currently run the one I have at 30W, but thats because thats the lowest my coil reccomends on it. I've used mostly 20-25W with my previous tanks. I like the hit my vape gives me now.
I've bought one before and no matter what I did it made me cough uncontrollably all the time, I had to get rid of it I couldn't even use it. I tried everything to fix the issue that the stores recommended before I just ended up buying the one I have now. I'm a little worried about this happening again and wasting more money.

I don't know, other than that I don't care to fuss and mess with them much at all other than to change the coil and fill it up lol. :) Any advice on a new device would be great :)

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
I’ve used a Pico daily for over 2 years. They are a good little mod with a great record in reliability.

My advice echos others here. As long as your batteries are correct and in good shape (and you don’t use “bypass” mode), you have very little to worry about. Check out Mooch’s recommended batteries and you will be in good shape using your Pico or any other regulated mod. I use the LG 18650 HG2 in mine.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
The only thing safer than vaping - is breathing air and keeping potential poisons out of your body entirely. Cigarettes have been tested and the findings are somewhat nasty. Not only do you nicotine, but you inhale tar and a few thousand known carcinogens (cancer-causing chemicals). But there are thousands more substances released by the combustion of tobacco cigarettes that have unknown consequences on the body. Cancer alone should be the least of your worries. Try COPD, apnea, asthma or the other hundreds of other issues that are caused by - or agitated by - smoking to get a pretty good idea of the damage you do when you fire up a cigarette.

Or think of the damage you do to others when they're in close proximity to you while you smoke. See, the FDA doesn't say "THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!" when kids are inhaling second hand smoke. PSH!

Anything within reason that makes you want to or have to quit smoking is always worth a shot. I tried all the NRT's except Chantix. I'll explain why Chantix was a no-go for me later. But the patches and the gums didn't work. The gums made me nauseous and the patches irritated the skin. Not to mention, they didn't stay on for crap when I tried them (still enlisted in the military - and man, does 100F+ mess with adhesives). Chantix was out of the question solely due to its potential side effects. You don't give someone a depressant that's already suffering from depression. Plus, how would Chantix impact some of my other medications? We don't know, it's not been tested with every marketable drug on the market. So, I started down the path of ecigs. Lo and behold, I'm not perfect by any means, but I have been able to avoid smoking at all costs.

Do what you must, but do not join the cult of the deceased because of cigarettes. It doesn't end well.

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
The only thing safer than vaping - is breathing air and keeping potential poisons out of your body entirely. Cigarettes have been tested and the findings are somewhat nasty. Not only do you nicotine, but you inhale tar and a few thousand known carcinogens (cancer-causing chemicals). But there are thousands more substances released by the combustion of tobacco cigarettes that have unknown consequences on the body. Cancer alone should be the least of your worries. Try COPD, apnea, asthma or the other hundreds of other issues that are caused by - or agitated by - smoking to get a pretty good idea of the damage you do when you fire up a cigarette.

Or think of the damage you do to others when they're in close proximity to you while you smoke. See, the FDA doesn't say "THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!" when kids are inhaling second hand smoke. PSH!

Anything within reason that makes you want to or have to quit smoking is always worth a shot. I tried all the NRT's except Chantix. I'll explain why Chantix was a no-go for me later. But the patches and the gums didn't work. The gums made me nauseous and the patches irritated the skin. Not to mention, they didn't stay on for crap when I tried them (still enlisted in the military - and man, does 100F+ mess with adhesives). Chantix was out of the question solely due to its potential side effects. You don't give someone a depressant that's already suffering from depression. Plus, how would Chantix impact some of my other medications? We don't know, it's not been tested with every marketable drug on the market. So, I started down the path of ecigs. Lo and behold, I'm not perfect by any means, but I have been able to avoid smoking at all costs.

Do what you must, but do not join the cult of the deceased because of cigarettes. It doesn't end well.

100% agree with you. I have asthma, which is why I've been trying to quit cigarettes because I noticed when I did solely use my vape my asthma conditions improved immensely and I rarely needed my rescue inhaler.

When I started smoking cigarettes again, my condition got worse and I've ended up in the hospital. As much as I would love to drop anything that hurts my asthma (which I've had since I was a kid), it's easier said then done.

Vaping seems to barely affect or worsen my asthma at all, if any.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I'm really looking for something that's simple to use and I like the ability to control my W. I currently run the one I have at 30W, but thats because thats the lowest my coil reccomends on it. I've used mostly 20-25W with my previous tanks.

Well if you like the one you've got now why not get another one? They're a fantastic price for what you get :) There are lots of single and dual battery mods out there but honestly if you are not going above 30 watts you're probably getting enough battery life anyway.

I use a Voopoo Drag 2 dual battery and a Vaporesso Polar for my daily use along with a couple of pods. They both came as kits with a tank included which work really well. I'd definitely recommend. Here's the drag...
20190127_114103.jpg

But honestly best thing to do is to go to your usual supplier website and see what you like there and then come and check it out here just to make sure it comes recommended...oh and avoid Smok mods they have a terrible reputation for quality.

I hope this helps.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I just want to say thank you to each and everyone of you that took the time to comment on my post and give me such helpful and insightful advice. I do feel more comfortable.

I'm pretty cautious and careful with my equipment, other than the fact the obvious drops from my pocket and that such (which is why i'm in the market for a new one because this one has seen enough drops)

I also want to correct myself from my original post, I realize I said "to make sure it never happens (exploding, etc.)" because I know that I will never ever fully eliminate the risk. What I think I meant to say (I was totally tired) was to diminish the risk as much as I can.

I'm really looking for something that's simple to use and I like the ability to control my W. I currently run the one I have at 30W, but thats because thats the lowest my coil reccomends on it. I've used mostly 20-25W with my previous tanks. I like the hit my vape gives me now.
I've bought one before and no matter what I did it made me cough uncontrollably all the time, I had to get rid of it I couldn't even use it. I tried everything to fix the issue that the stores recommended before I just ended up buying the one I have now. I'm a little worried about this happening again and wasting more money.

I don't know, other than that I don't care to fuss and mess with them much at all other than to change the coil and fill it up lol. :) Any advice on a new device would be great :)

There are plenty of devices out there. The coughing may have been from the juice itself. This is where things get tricky. Anyone within reason would suggest you not to use a HIGH Nic (generally considered 12mg/ml and above) in a sub-ohm tank. You also have to look at mixture. 50VG / 50PG tends to have more flavor, yet pack a bigger throat hit - which in turn - makes a person cough. And finally - liquid manufacturer. Not ALL juices are made to the same standards. For me, I would recommend 2 companies to anyone that enjoys tasty, clean, and relatively great e-liquids. Premium Labs E-Liquid: Have tried all of them, I PREFER the Decoded Line though. Big foot being my favorite. And of course Naked 100. Granted Naked 100 generally deals with smoothie based flavors (a lot of fruits and some creams), but they're clean, the quality of juice is superb, and the flavors range from simple to complex and traditional to exotic. Pick your poison, really. Whatever flavors you think you'll enjoy, pick a bottle or two up and give them a toot.

As for the device itself causing coughing? Maybe. Wattage too high? Probably. Tanks causing coughing? Likely. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS... need I say it again? ALWAYS prime your coils before you place them in the base of the atomizer. "Priming" is putting a few drops of liquid on any exposed cotton or "wicking material". Place a few drops of juice on all the wicking material without flooding it. After you have placed a few drops on it, place it in the base, reassemble the atty, and fill as normal. Wait a good minute or so, open up the juice flow (if applicable), take a few primer puffs on the tank (primer puffs are unpowered and completely disconnected from the device itself), and dial your airflow to where you think you may like it, then attach the tank to the device. Before you even consider hitting the fire button, dial the wattage down, then try taking a few hits until you start getting some production. Then adjust wattage up as needed. If it's dry, you'll get a really harsh burnt taste. If the coil head itself is bad (which does happen too), then the taste will not be burnt, but still cause irritation - as hot wire or mesh doesn't taste good.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

If your a dropper then the Geeekvape Aegis (either the 80watt mini or the 100 watt) is the mod for you.

It's waterproof, shockproof, etc etc etc.

It's also one of the better mods on the market. You'll like it.. probably the mini..

Geek Vape Aegis Mini 80W Starter Kit | Vape Kits

^^^

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
Well if you like the one you've got now why not get another one? They're a fantastic price for what you get :) There are lots of single and dual battery mods out there but honestly if you are not going above 30 watts you're probably getting enough battery life anyway.

I use a Voopoo Drag 2 dual battery and a Vaporesso Polar for my daily use along with a couple of pods. They both came as kits with a tank included which work really well. I'd definitely recommend. Here's the drag...
View attachment 802661

But honestly best thing to do is to go to your usual supplier website and see what you like there and then come and check it out here just to make sure it comes recommended...oh and avoid Smok mods they have a terrible reputation for quality.

I hope this helps.

I'm tempted defiantly if it comes down to it, just getting another of what I have.
I'd like to look at somehow improving the amount of flavor I get when using? I use RY4 in my tank, I've always used it I really like it. The set up I have now does give flavor, but I've used my mother in laws once or twice and it seems to give off more of the Juice flavor... What would do that for me?

Also, my tank and coil is SMOK brand, should I stay away from these?

There are plenty of devices out there. The coughing may have been from the juice itself. This is where things get tricky. Anyone within reason would suggest you not to use a HIGH Nic (generally considered 12mg/ml and above) in a sub-ohm tank. You also have to look at mixture. 50VG / 50PG tends to have more flavor, yet pack a bigger throat hit - which in turn - makes a person cough. And finally - liquid manufacturer. Not ALL juices are made to the same standards. For me, I would recommend 2 companies to anyone that enjoys tasty, clean, and relatively great e-liquids. Premium Labs E-Liquid: Have tried all of them, I PREFER the Decoded Line though. Big foot being my favorite. And of course Naked 100. Granted Naked 100 generally deals with smoothie based flavors (a lot of fruits and some creams), but they're clean, the quality of juice is superb, and the flavors range from simple to complex and traditional to exotic. Pick your poison, really. Whatever flavors you think you'll enjoy, pick a bottle or two up and give them a toot.

As for the device itself causing coughing? Maybe. Wattage too high? Probably. Tanks causing coughing? Likely. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS... need I say it again? ALWAYS prime your coils before you place them in the base of the atomizer. "Priming" is putting a few drops of liquid on any exposed cotton or "wicking material". Place a few drops of juice on all the wicking material without flooding it. After you have placed a few drops on it, place it in the base, reassemble the atty, and fill as normal. Wait a good minute or so, open up the juice flow (if applicable), take a few primer puffs on the tank (primer puffs are unpowered and completely disconnected from the device itself), and dial your airflow to where you think you may like it, then attach the tank to the device. Before you even consider hitting the fire button, dial the wattage down, then try taking a few hits until you start getting some production. Then adjust wattage up as needed. If it's dry, you'll get a really harsh burnt taste. If the coil head itself is bad (which does happen too), then the taste will not be burnt, but still cause irritation - as hot wire or mesh doesn't taste good.

This is great thank you :) See when I had the set up that gave me the really harsh coughing all the time, my local store recommended going down in nicotine, changing the coil, using a different coil all together, turning down the wattage and none of it seemed to really alleviate it. I guess this is why i'm Leary.

Reactions: Falconeer

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I'm tempted defiantly if it comes down to it, just getting another of what I have.
I'd like to look at somehow improving the amount of flavor I get when using? I use RY4 in my tank, I've always used it I really like it. The set up I have now does give flavor, but I've used my mother in laws once or twice and it seems to give off more of the Juice flavor... What would do that for me?

This is great thank you :) See when I had the set up that gave me the really harsh coughing all the time, my local store recommended going down in nicotine, changing the coil, using a different coil all together, turning down the wattage and none of it seemed to really alleviate it. I guess this is why i'm Leary.

Then if you tried all of that and nothing worked, the thing(s) I would point to would be airflow and / or juice. Try a different brand - yes, Naked 100 also carries various tobaccos. All of their liquids I believe are 65VG / 35PG and 70VG / 35PG. They don't carry any RY4 Tobaccos that I know of. I will suggest another store for a more RY4-ish tobacco. And that would be JVapes. They have a few tobacco flavors called "Pursuit". Pursuit of Happiness is a vanilla tobacco blend, Sadness is like a creamy tobacco blend, and Madness is a strawberry tobacco blend. They also have Midnight Joyride which is a hazlenut and tobacco blend.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014

Well i'm not sure what style of tank you're using at the moment. Both mine (one's a uforce and the other's cascade baby) have superb flavour but they're sub ohm...0.3 ohm and 0.18 ohm. They are mesh coils which is partly why the flavour is good. What kind of coils are you using?

I wouldn't worry so much about a smok tank but definitely don't buy one of their mods :)

VM-Lady

Mar 12, 2019
Well i'm not sure what style of tank you're using at the moment. Both mine (one's a uforce and the other's cascade baby) have superb flavour but they're sub ohm...0.3 ohm and 0.18 ohm. They are mesh coils which is partly why the flavour is good. What kind of coils are you using?

I wouldn't worry so much about a smok tank but definitely don't buy one of their mods :)

I'm not even really sure what tank it is to be honest, I lost the receipt and box a long time ago for it. The Coil is a SMOK M2-0.25ohm 30-50W. I've never run it above 30W.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I'm not even really sure what tank it is to be honest, I lost the receipt and box a long time ago for it. The Coil is a SMOK M2-0.25ohm 30-50W. I've never run it above 30W.

Ok so it's sub-ohm which is the important info. So I would recommend the 2 tanks that I have already mentioned Vaporesso Cascade Baby and Voopoo Uforce. They have a number of different coils that you can choose but the single mesh arguably the best flavour. Try one of these two...just make sure that they fit on your mod. I'm pretty sure that these 2 won't fit on the Pico as that's is limited to around 22mm because of the protruding battery cap.

Good luck :)

Reactions: VM-Lady

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
For laughs I will say - A Vaporshark DNA-250 - 250 watts of power! Battery life for YEARS @ 30 watts.

Them: So what you rockin'?
You: A Vaporshark DNA-250.
Them: Oh yeah? I got this boxmod here with 4 batteries in it at 3000 watts!
You: Nice, how long do your batteries last?
Them: About 30 minutes, how long does your battery last?
You: At 30 watts, I charged my device last week.
Them: Whaaa... *dies*

On a serious note, those boxes are a bit pricey at first, but a good sleeve, and if you don't drop it too much, will hold up for years. No batteries to really replace except maybe once in a great while. As it uses a LiPo pack, so you don't have to worry too much about damaging battery wraps. And of course, it goes to 250 watts if you need that much. And in the event you do drop it too much and you manage to damage the case, you can always send it back to them and they will refurbish your device for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread