Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
@VM-Lady I haven’t read through all these posts so if this has been mentioned I’m sorry but it’s worth saying twice. I have never seen or heard about a regulated mod exploding. The ones that explode are mech mods with no protection. As long as you use a regulated mod and a decent battery you have about the same chance that your cell phone will explode as your mod, actually your mod is safer. Samsung has some phones blow and I still haven’t seen a regulated mod blow so rest assure your mod is safe. Also that’s a terrible excuse to smoke, are you sure you really want to quit?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yet you didn't mention the Temperature Control issue that Geekvape mods suffer from, that hasn't been resolved.
Aegis Legend – TC Wattage Restiction

I just want to point out, with the fact so few attys with drop-in coils (especially in the MTL variety) actually do temperature control, it ends up being the majority of new vapers don't use it, no matter what device they buy.

I was the first person who suggested the Aegis, and I did so for the other features which, for the OP, are more necessary than TC.

If she happens to use TC on this, it may end up being more fiddly, but it will work nonetheless.. but just to point out, most people aren't buying this device for TC features in the first place.

It's not most of our priorities. I build my own coils and don't use TC on any device, not even one with a DNA board..

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    :thumbs:
    DJ Colonel Corn, mooch's tests did not confirm SONY VTC5A 18650 batteries to be 30A.
    Sony VTC5A 2500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a fantastic 25A battery!

Yes, see the importance of checking Mooch's info ? There you go.
    Sorry, the battery is rated at 30a. didn't know Mooch's tests showed 25a. Thanks.

Regarding battery safety. and the iStick Pico...
    Don't let the battery get too warm/hot. The battery on that mod is extremely close to the atomizer, so, if your atomizer gets extremely hot, you can overheat your battery, causing a fail.
    Remove the battery during use some time, and feel the heat.
    If it's warmer than a cup of coffee in your hands, you're pushing it.
    Any hotter, and. you should remove the battery completley and allow to cool.
    Then think about a better mod.
    The Pico is cute, pretty safe...... mine died within 4 weeks however.
    Not a big deal, the mod was free (new), so I just chalked it up to my already-established dislike for eleaf/iStick.

Looking for a new device ? I highly recommend my current setup, a Crown 4 tank, and an Espion 200w mod.
    The Espion is world's smallest dual battery mod, I believe, to date.
    It's light but sturdy.
    You can see my reviews on them here :
    UWELL Crown IV Tank for the Uwell Crown 4 review, and,
    Complete Kit - JOYETECH ESPION 200W + PROCORE ATOMIZER for the Espion 200w mod review.

Hope this helps !
    Also, thanks again @Mordacai .

Stay off those stinkies !!!
    You can do it ! The average smoker tries 30 times to quit tobacco before success !
    I'm linking two instances of the same video, so people can choose to 'like' or follow on either YouTube or Vimeo, their choice:

Good luck, you can do this.
    :thumbs: :vapor:

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Use a good brand vape mod with internal battery, like Innokin Cool fire, Voopoo Drag mini, Evic Primo Fit.
    They usually abound with protections, and I never heard of one misbehaving.
    In this way you don't have to deal with batteries and their safety requirement.

...there are some problems with internal battery mods, imo.

What's important to me is longevity. I use mods for years and years. Because, when the batteries die, I can change them for a small amount of money. With an intenral, you get 1-2 years, tops.

The other problem is when it does die, it goes into the garbage dump, where, it starts fires, because of the irremovable li-ion battery. I don't think I have to mention the toxicity.

As time goes by, the internal mod will hold a charge less and less until it's unusable.

Another point is the mAh. The miliamp hours. We can get longer battery life, and better performance, with 18650s, especially dual battery devices.

These are among the top reasons why a lot of vapers use external battery mods. Many replace their batteries every 6 months, or more often. Sure, if you charge them to only 4 volts and many other methods, you can make them last a bit longer. However, I and others prefer getting the maximum performance out of our batteries.

Just my 2 cents ! I know a lot of vapers agree.
    The MAIN point, is to get off those stinkies !!!!
    However you choose to vape !
    :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    What's important to me is longevity. I use mods for years and years. Because, when the batteries die, I can change them for a small amount of money. With an intenral, you get 1-2 years, tops.

I disagree...based not only on my own personal experience with the different ones I have/use, but also on those that friends have, and what others have posted on here about some of theirs. There is no blanket time limit on the longevity of any mod, internal battery or not, IMO.

I have quite a few Innokin MVP2 mods (regular, Shine, and Energy editions) that were bought new in September 2015. Also have my very first 1, that was given to me several months earlier...that had been used for at least 6 months already. Not a single 1 has died yet! I also have/use various Eleaf iSticks (20W, 30W, and Basics) that have been working fine for 2.5-3 years so far. Several friends got their Eleaf iStick 50W mods from me 3 years ago, and they're still doing great, too. Some ECF members have just posted fairly recently that their own Eleaf 30W mods have been in use for 3-4 years and are still going strong!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I have quite a few Innokin MVP2 mods (regular, Shine, and Energy editions) that were bought new in September 2015. Also have my very first 1, that was given to me several months earlier...that had been used for at least 6 months already. Not a single 1 has died yet!
    My sister has my original iTaste MVP gotten in 2013. I gave it to her a couple of years ago because she didn't have a backup mod. Sure, it still "works", but it only holds a charge for 2-3 hours. At least it has pass thru ability.

I'm not as much a stickler for external battery mods as I once was. My backup mod in use today is a Geekvape Aegis Mini with an internal battery. I guess that I have "relaxed my standards" a bit. :)

I still prefer using an external battery mod over an internal battery mod. There are more pluses than cons doing so. I fear we may soon come to a point in time when the government will choose for us which type of battery device that we can purchase new to vape with.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Internal vs external! There are pro’s and cons to both systems. An end user will have to weigh in which style has more value to them.
    Internal Battery (Lipo) or External Batteries (18650)? Which type is right for you?

lipo-or-18650_large.jpg

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    My sister has my original iTaste MVP gotten in 2013. I gave it to her a couple of years ago because she didn't have a backup mod. Sure, it still "works", but it only holds a charge for 2-3 hours. At least it has pass thru ability.

I'd definitely expect that from a 2013 internal battery mod. I'm surprised it even still works at all. The ones I mentioned are still working great though. Guess I gotta wait another couple years for mine to get that bad. :D

Shadowtao

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2010
    Over There
    Seven years vaping and never had a single problem.
    I love hearing about some Darin award winner's exploding mod. It always turns out to be some cheap knock off mod, with zero safety features. Often one that was overcharged and left in the firing mode.
    I have two Pico's that are around 5 years old and they still are working great.so I'm sure yours is fine and won't explode. Use quality batteries, use an external battery charger and don't leave it ON if put it in a pocket or bag .

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    My post in response to DJ Colonel Corn was only about his statement..."With an internal, you get 1-2 years tops". I have both internal and external battery mods myself. For various reasons, I've chosen to buy/use both types. :)

Both made valid points which I personally think is important to address (not exploit!) so that a new user who may not be well versed on the different systems can assess what suits them best.

For myself I prefer an external system. I can pick and choose the cells I want to buy which contributes to trusting my decision over what the designers may have chosen with an internal system.

I have a surplus of batteries that grant an easy and quick change when required. For someone on the go, spare batteries can be carried (PROPERLY!) which means they are not tethered to a wall outlet when their device needs topping up.

As for longevity, personally I think that is difficult to gauge. How long can I expect a vaping device to last that gets abused daily with juice spills, bumps and knocks. And if it does last 2 to 3 years (or longer) will I still have an attraction toward it. Especially when the newer, shinier and fancier devices are being released as I type! Is that a new Smok Mag Baby Beast Alien in chromed out cobra paisley…..gotta have!!!

On the flip side an internal system means a volatile cell is less manhandled. Personally, I feel these unfortunate events of cells exploding are due to human neglect, whether that individual is aware of it or not. An internal system can mitigate these risks. Constantly removing, charging and reinserting batteries into a device exposes them to possible damage (unknown or not) or even being accidently shorted out by something conductive. There is a YT video of a device that blew instantly when the user fumbled with his conductive battery door shorting out the terminals.

One of my biggest concerns with using vaping as a means to quit smoking was the extra efforts and attention required. An internal system can alleviate some of these efforts with a smaller, less laborious device. And that can be of great value to someone struggling to quit the cigs!!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Both made valid points which I personally think is important to address (not exploit!) so that a new user who may not be well versed on the different systems can assess what suits them best.

For myself I prefer an external system. I can pick and choose the cells I want to buy which contributes to trusting my decision over what the designers may have chosen with an internal system.

I have a surplus of batteries that grant an easy and quick change when required. For someone on the go, spare batteries can be carried (PROPERLY!) which means they are not tethered to a wall outlet when their device needs topping up.

As for longevity, personally I think that is difficult to gauge. How long can I expect a vaping device to last that gets abused daily with juice spills, bumps and knocks. And if it does last 2 to 3 years (or longer) will I still have an attraction toward it. Especially when the newer, shinier and fancier devices are being released as I type! Is that a new Smok Mag Baby Beast Alien in chromed out cobra paisley…..gotta have!!!

On the flip side an internal system means a volatile cell is less manhandled. Personally, I feel these unfortunate events of cells exploding are due to human neglect, whether that individual is aware of it or not. An internal system can mitigate these risks. Constantly removing, charging and reinserting batteries into a device exposes them to possible damage (unknown or not) or even being accidently shorted out by something conductive. There is a YT video of a device that blew instantly when the user fumbled with his conductive battery door shorting out the terminals.

One of my biggest concerns with using vaping as a means to quit smoking was the extra efforts and attention required. An internal system can alleviate some of these efforts with a smaller, less laborious device. And that can be of great value to someone struggling to quit the cigs!!

Freinds don't let freinds buy Smok ...

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY

I have one of those Efusion Duos. I got it for the flexibility (as well as the Abalone panels) and still get great runtime out of the original Lipo pack. Whenever that pack gives out all I have to do is remount the battery sled and I'm good to go if I don't or can't pick up a replacement Lipo for it. Really an excellent flexible design choice.

It is kinda boxy feeling so it's not on my top to use rotation, but it is nice and light and works as well as the day it arrived ( and that was several years ago).

Skwij

ECF Veteran
    Sep 4, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    @VM-Lady
    You're 45 minutes away from me.
    You've gotten a lot of info here, but I'll give a little more. Just a suggestion.

Get the FreeMax Pro Mesh tank (topper, the bit you add the juice to). Or the Crown III tank.
    As for a Mod (the battery/power source, basically), the Aegis works and works well, and is safe. Doesn't matter if it's two batteries, or internal battery. It's a good mod and safe. Check your local shops for sales, as often the previous generation of mods go on sale in the store.

I'd STRONGLY advise avoiding anything SMOK. Tank, mod, whatever. Just don't.

If you're concerned about price, remember that name brand smokes here in Ontario will go to $18 per 25 pack shortly. Tyendinaga smokes are dodgy at best, even though cheaper.

One good setup pays for itself in a week at those prices, assuming a pack a day. Just some food for thought from another Canuck in Ontario

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    There are no guarantees, but if you are worried there are some things you can do to reduce the possibility of your mod blowing up:

- Use a regulated mod
    - Buy quality batteries from a reputable source
    - Do not use your mod as a battery charger - use a dedicated charger
    - Understand the limitations of your equipment and batteries
    - Use your head, and common sense

I see a lot of posts that say "my vape is too hot" or "my mod is getting hot". Well, to me, common sense says you are pushing your equipment too hard.

There are other considerations which apply to mechanical mods, but if you want the "safest" I would stick with a regulated mod.

• Agree
    Reactions: gerrymi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread