• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
cert.woodhippy.1011388.jpg

This took me almost a year and 700 work units. But I made It.
You rock!

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
Cinetrope:
Is that the rig you decided to go with? You're gonna run me over in about 6 weeks. Impressive!
Sorry it took so long to reply...yeah, I built a Z97 based dual GPU (GTX 970's) system for compositing, 3D modeling, and video rendering. I guess that a machine built to perform these functions also is capable of putting up decent folding numbers too.

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
Core 21 Update:
For those of you who have had difficulties successfully completing Core 21 projects with an Nvidia Maxwell GPU...Stanford withdrew these projects from general circulation a couple of weeks ago due to an unacceptable level of Bad State errors and dumped or failed Work Units. In order to receive the projects in question, a donor must now set an advanced flag on a GPU folding slot populated by a Maxwell card. I fold on two GPU slots with Maxwell cards and I configured one of these slots to accept Core 21 Work Units around 10 days ago. In the time since, I have folded more than two dozen of these Work Units and only detected a single Bad State error which added around 20 minutes to the time needed to complete the project. I have not had a single Core 21 project fail in this time compared to a failure rate of over 10% previously. I am uncertain if this is merely "luck of the draw" or if the coding for these projects has been improved by the researchers at Stanford in some fundamental way. I am not suggesting that my experience is in anyway universal but I thought I would share my findings with other members of Team ECF who may be effected by this issue.

mykereid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, VA
Sorry it took so long to reply...yeah, I built a Z97 based dual GPU (GTX 970's) system for compositing, 3D modeling, and video rendering. I guess that a machine built to perform these functions also is capable of putting up decent folding numbers too.

Impressive!

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Tried the install on my 2015 Dell Alienware Area 51 (6-i7 Cores at 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 980 running Win 10 64bit) and the application failed in many ways, so it has been uninstalled for now.

I have a Dell PowerEdge T-410 w 10-Cores (Dual socket, 4 + 6 cores, All Xeons, 64GB RAM) and I am installing the second CPU, newe BIOS, and software on it at the moment. When I get it up and running with the new 6-core, VMware vSphere and CentOs Linux, I'll try an install.

Reactions: awsum140

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2014
    Joshua Tree, CA
    Tried the install on my 2015 Dell Alienware Area 51 (6-i7 Cores at 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 980 running Win 10 64bit) and the application failed in many ways, so it has been uninstalled for now.

I have a Dell PowerEdge T-410 w 10-Cores (Dual socket, 4 + 6 cores, All Xeons, 64GB RAM) and I am installing the second CPU, newe BIOS, and software on it at the moment. When I get it up and running with the new 6-core, VMware vSphere and CentOs Linux, I'll try an install.

Unless your Dell machine has a discrete GPU it will net you considerably less PPD then the Alienware machine...probably around one tenth. Keeping the FAH client running with Windows 10 can be problematic due to automatic driver updating but plenty of donors are doing it. I for one tried and had a frustrating couple of weeks before reverting to Windows 7. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people offering advice at Stanford's support forum Folding Forum • Index page . It is entirely possible that someone there has addressed the very issue you are having. Good luck, hope to see you up and running soon.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Unless your Dell machine has a discrete GPU it will net you considerably less PPD then the Alienware machine...probably around one tenth. Keeping the FAH client running with Windows 10 can be problematic due to automatic driver updating but plenty of donors are doing it. I for one tried and had a frustrating couple of weeks before reverting to Windows 7. There are many helpful and knowledgeable people offering advice at Stanford's support forum Folding Forum • Index page . It is entirely possible that someone there has addressed the very issue you are having. Good luck, hope to see you up and running soon.

I'll see if I can contact Stanford support! Thanks for the tip.

raitizz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Riga, Latvia
    I'm running on my desktop and craptop. Just install and use the same registration number and you should be fine.

Any advice, from the sages here, on the best driver version for an EVGA GTX970?

I'd say the latest WHQL (or Beta). I run the latest Beta on my EVGA GTX980Ti, everything's fine.

R

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2014
    Joshua Tree, CA
    I'm running on my desktop and craptop. Just install and use the same registration number and you should be fine.

Any advice, from the sages here, on the best driver version for an EVGA GTX970?

I'm running 359.00 with that card and it is stable for me. I keep a copy of 347.88 as a fall back which also worked great. I've read a bunch of posts at the folding forums sponsored by EVGA, Amandtech, and Nvidia and expert users (power folders) suggest that driver updates seldom result in Folding@Home performance gains. Their belief is that Nvidia sees folding as a fringe activity, and consequently dedicate limited resources to coding for improvement in this area. They also recommend that you wait a week before installing a newly released driver to replace one that is getting the job done unless the new driver has bug fixes for another activity that you use your GPU for, (usually game specific).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread