• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
That depends on what the actual power draw of the PC is and what your electric rate might be. I don't want to think about it in terms of what it might be costing. I think about it in terms of what I might be able to contribute to, in some small way, to unscrewing some of the inscrewtables.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
That depends on what the actual power draw of the PC is and what your electric rate might be. I don't want to think about it in terms of what it might be costing. I think about it in terms of what I might be able to contribute to, in some small way, to unscrewing some of the inscrewtables.
How is the puppy?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Welcome to folding, 3mg, forgot that when answering before.

Thanks for asking about Leo. He's doing fine, getting big, 138+lb last week when we had him at the vet for routine stuff. We have to keep an eye on his weight since he's growing/gaining constantly and his meds, heartworm, flea/tick, are dosed based on weight. He'll keep growing, more slowly, for the next year or so and will remain a puppy, maybe even a little longer. Large/giant breed mature more slowly. He can be a handful at times, think that cute, little, 15 pound puppy jumping around and playing only times ten, basically. I live in shorts during the summer and my legs have the scars to prove it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
OK. I have been running it in Chrome. Thinking of running it from desktop. What are the advantages of that? I have plenty of space on my computer. Biggest thing is when I am streaming TV shows, I can keep it at full speed with a few slow-downs. But wondering if that would be better if I made the switch.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
It depends on the processor and video card. Generally speaking, a quad core CPU will do up to 10K per day but usually less. If you have a higher end video card, Cuda or better, you can get 30K per day and up with a 1080Ti topping out at about 1,000,000 points a day. Personally, using GPUs for folding, I've found letting the CPU fold is counter productive since it stops the CPU from having enough cycles, time, to manage the PCI buss demands of the GPUs which slows them down more than the gain of the CPU processing.

All that said, I fold on an i5 laptop, which doesn't have a GPU capable of folding, and it does between 5 and 10K per day depending on the type of work unit. I fold on it since it's on all day, anyway, and it might help somehow.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
It depends on the processor and video card. Generally speaking, a quad core CPU will do up to 10K per day but usually less. If you have a higher end video card, Cuda or better, you can get 30K per day and up with a 1080Ti topping out at about 1,000,000 points a day. Personally, using GPUs for folding, I've found letting the CPU fold is counter productive since it stops the CPU from having enough cycles, time, to manage the PCI buss demands of the GPUs which slows them down more than the gain of the CPU processing.

All that said, I fold on an i5 laptop, which doesn't have a GPU capable of folding, and it does between 5 and 10K per day depending on the type of work unit. I fold on it since it's on all day, anyway, and it might help somehow.
You went waay over my head, as usual.
When folding on Chrome, I can only change the speed at which it is folding or stop it. I downloaded it, and can click on folding while nothing else is running, and am reasonably confident that it is doing so. On Chrome, I was a bit over 6,000 a day (24 hr), so I will have to wait and see. I have a reconditioned Dell Optiplex 390, probably from a school deal.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
All I can say is to give it a try and see what happens. Maybe you got lucky and got an upgraded video card. If so, when you install folding on it you'll see the GPU show up in the configuration page. The CPU should be able to do three or four thousand a day. Windows has a bigger "overhead" and does slow things down a bit. The "pro" folders use Linux or Unbutu for an operating system because they allow faster folding speeds, lighter CPU loading and better PCI bus handling I think. Chrome, being a Linux (open) style system, is letting your Chrome book do a nice job for a smaller device.

• Winner
Reactions: 3mg Meniere

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
We need you, Retired1, the more the merrier!

Officially back online with a full time connection and should break into the ECF top 100 sometime tonight. :D

Need to set the notebook up as well.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I use Winderz and haven't delved into Linux for a while, about 20 years. I think that when support for Win7 goes away I'll have to look into Linux. I hate Winderz 10 with a passion. I have seen some problems mentioned on the folding@home board with the Linux client so you might want to have a look over there.

We got you back, now if we can get irwink back, too, the team will start making some real progress again.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
10 isn't too bad once you rip some things out by the roots and tame it a bit. But yeah, MS has taken a direction that makes me suspect that Winderz will end up as a service, not an OS.

Linux has come a long way, even since I started using it full time on the home front (over 10 years ago). Unless you're into gaming, it's entirely possible to go entirely Linux these days and not have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread